Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing valve necks when changing tyres

• 11-11-2014 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

I am a relatively new driver so bear with me.

Three weeks ago I bought four new tyres from a garage near my old workplace.
    Went to get petrol yesterday and noticed that the front left tyre was looking a bit flat.
    I put air in it and drove it to a nearby tyre centre about a half mile away.
    They checked it and said the tyre itself was fine and the problem was caused by a leaking valve neck. They put on a new neck (cost €10) and expressed surprise that it had not been changed when the new tyres were put on. The guy then looked at the other three tyres and said that they all still had their old necks. He suggested that I go back to the garage and get them to replace the three necks. I won’t be doing that as I’ve moved work locations so I’ll probably just get them done in that tyre centre as soon as I get a free couple of hours over the next week or so.

So is this something that I should always ask for when I’m getting a tyre replaced?

Or were the garage just being lazy and taking a short cut?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I have always had them replaced with the tires, these days I don't even have to ask.

I have in the past had a flat that was caused by the failure of the valve neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Never had a problem with a valve neck but the fitters I have used over the years would always change the valve when fitting new tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Any tyre fitter I've been to recently changes the valve neck as a matter of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Had a similar problem to the OP from a tyre seller that's frequently mentioned on here and other forums as being one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Going to an Irish tyre fitter is like going to an Irish delicatessen. Some of the time, they make your sandwich exactly as they should, good care and hygiene, decent fillings, not forget what you tell them, cut properly and courteous to boot. But most of the time they f*** it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,424 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I always insist on mentioning it when I get the final price for the tyres, a couple of times places had left the old ones on, complete false economy and leads to hassle down the line. Perhaps at the first change of tyres on a new car you could make the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

pointless getting brand new tires fitted,and then using old valves several years old!

Advertisement