Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private sale small claims

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't know how else to say it. If you buy a car privately that has, say, a faulty gearbox, and you can find the garage that told the seller it was faulty and he didn't disclose it, then that's fraud. I'm not talking about this specific case.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ajmboyce

corktina wrote: »
    I don't know how else to say it. If you buy a car privately that has, say, a faulty gearbox, and you can find the garage that told the seller it was faulty and he didn't disclose it, then that's fraud. I'm not talking about this specific case.

Thats fair enough but what if there is no garage involved at all car never seen garage but seller knew the box was getting ropey and sold the car fair enough it might be fraud but it would be extremely hard to prove this unless as a user said earlier he had a thread up somewhere relating to the car in question with the fault in question or what about a timing belt and a lad says it s changed i went to look at a car before that seller said belt was changed the tipp ex was still wet nearly it was that fresh car hadnt an oil change let alone a timing belt done for years and no i didnt buy the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Did your friend get advance notice of the claim? did they respond or just bin it...if they didn't respond, judge would rule in favour of the person making the complaint as no defence was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ajmboyce wrote: »
    Thats fair enough but what if there is no garage involved at all car never seen garage but seller knew the box was getting ropey and sold the car fair enough it might be fraud but it would be extremely hard to prove this unless as a user said earlier he had a thread up somewhere relating to the car in question with the fault in question or what about a timing belt and a lad says it s changed i went to look at a car before that seller said belt was changed the tipp ex was still wet nearly it was that fresh car hadnt an oil change let alone a timing belt done for years and no i didnt buy the car.

I can only refer you back to my original post where i said if it could be proven. It's hypothetical....

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

If a car failed it's NCT and the owner sells the car without mentoning that fact to the buyer, could the buyer take a case against the seller for selling the car with a "known undisclosed fault" ?

I presume the NCT failure sheet would need to be produced as evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

a court clerk will not show a claim to a judge unless the claiment can provide a recipt, as this is the only way the claiment can prove it is purchaced.

Advertisement