Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quality of light from 01 Passat (both dip and head)

Options
  • 08-01-2009 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all,
    just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on this:D.
    Seriously though the dips are terrible, i normally go around on full beams they are that bad, and no-one flashs me so they obviously are not blinding anyone! Anyone have similar complaint? Solutions??

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi all,
    just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on this:D.
    Seriously though the dips are terrible, i normally go around on full beams they are that bad, and no-one flashs me so they obviously are not blinding anyone! Anyone have similar complaint? Solutions??

Cheers...

Their out of alignment, try using the adjustment dial down next to the dial for the lights, you may have it on a setting for towing a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A van drove behind me for around 15km Tuesday night with its full beams on and only one person out of around 300 flashed him. There was nothing I was doing that would get him to lower them.

The 01 Passsat was a Projector beam system which can give off little light anyway.

You should invest in premium bulbs giving off nearly 50% more light. I vouch for Osram Nightbreaker and the Passatt is H7 main and H7 Dipped. I had a 2005 passat which was the same shape as the 2001 externally. You can pick up a pair for around €20 on the internet or Autozone Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Letterkenny and PR Reilly Kilbarrack Dublin for €24.

They will increase your light. As mentioned above check the knob next to the headlight switch. When its only you and a passenger, not towing a load and heavily laden down in the boot then use setting 1. Its all in the manual anyway. You might have this set to 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

Op just wondering if you found any solution to your light problem in the end? My 01 is the same, I actually dread a journey at this time of year because of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nearly 6 years ago, unlikely OP still has the same car.

Cheap solution might be to check there's no discolouring on the headlamps themselves but I'd recommend looking at changing the bulbs to something else like Philips X-Treme Vision or Osram Night Breaker.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/eu/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/h7-499

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Try cleaning the lense on headlight with age and sunlight they become discoloured and block the light coming from headlamps

Halfords do a polishing kit it's a bottle of cutting compound and drill polishing disc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

ruthy_2504 wrote: »
    Op just wondering if you found any solution to your light problem in the end? My 01 is the same, I actually dread a journey at this time of year because of it!

Buy a set of osram nightbreakers in the likes of micksgarage I think them passats are h7 dipped and h1 high beam you can check the website. For them then go to a garage and get them aligned. With your headlights themselves is the plastic discoloured hard to see true as some older headlights go like this and it reduced the amount of light that is put out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

My 02 a3 is the exact same. V bad dipped lights.. Fitted the 120% bulbs from halfords.. Decent improvement.. Still not a patch on my old focus though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

My 02 a3 is the exact same. V bad dipped lights.. Fitted the 120% bulbs from halfords.. Decent improvement.. Still not a patch on my old focus though.

Them halfords 120% bulbs wouldn't be a patch on the osram nightbreakers you'd find a big improvement changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Its a Volkswagen issue. My OH has a 01 golf and the lights are brutal when dipped. Just never invested in proper bulbs cuz 300k + on clock!

Advertisement