Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cream....?

Options
  • 19-03-2005 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

So we all love cream - which is gotten from cows etc. However, we might be familiar with other sources of milk ... sheep, goat, breast, but we never hear of cream from these sources - just cow. So my question is can you get cream from sheep/goat/breast milk? Could be an interesting ingredient.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Goats cream and butter :eek:

http://www.sthelensfarm.co.uk/creambutter.htm
    gonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ivylooloo

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    So we all love cream - which is gotten from cows etc. However, we might be familiar with other sources of milk ... sheep, goat, breast, but we never hear of cream from these sources - just cow. So my question is can you get cream from sheep/goat/breast milk? Could be an interesting ingredient.

All right, goats and sheep I understand, but breast milk cream? Can you imagine ordering shrimp with linguine and a breast milk cream sauce at your local restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Those goats!!

Is there anything they can't do??! :eek:

I never really liked goat's cheese, I wonder what the cream's like! haha! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This what you're looking for! :)

"CREAM MADE FROM BREAST MILK..."

http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/milkcure.htm

ambrose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jackie g

the cream or fat content of goat and sheep milk is lower than cow milk generally but yes, you can get cream but it is not worth doing it economically for the producer. in countries such as greece and cyprus, they do make goats milk butter because they rely much more on goats for milk than cows. it tastes quite nice but is very white !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

SHEEP EATING LINGUINE???

all cream(except ice, of course) is minging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

dearg_doom wrote:
    SHEEP EATING LINGUINE???

all cream(except ice, of course) is minging.
    That's just silly cream is the greatest ingredient - it makes everything taste better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Except for nice things, like cake :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jackie g wrote:
    the cream or fat content of goat and sheep milk is lower than cow milk generally but yes, you can get cream but it is not worth doing it economically for the producer. in countries such as greece and cyprus, they do make goats milk butter because they rely much more on goats for milk than cows. it tastes quite nice but is very white !!

The reason its very white is the goats (and indeed cows and other ruminants) in those countries are often stall fed, or have a diet low in green vegetation. The nice yellow that we associate with butter here in Ireland is a product of cows digesting the chlorophyll in grass- butter in France (largest selling brand would be President) is pure white and looks like lard.

I grew up on a farm and kept a small flock of goats- British Saanan, lovely white goats with beards who used to come running up to me as I walked up the driveway to the house on my way home from school. We milked them every morning and evening- and made our own yoghurt etc. The creaminess of the milk varied with the diet of the animals- and goats have some strange likes and dislikes (they love things like apple trees and even ivy).
    The milk from our goats would have been a creamier yellow colour than regular milk here- and the cream easily harvested from it (regular milk here is homogenised- that is the cream is equally dispersed in the milk- so it does not collect on the top of the milk despite its lower density).

Taste of the cream depended on the diet of the goats- some farms capitalise on the fact that goats will eat virtually anything and have contracts with restraunts to dispose of their food waste. We were given all the vegetables that people left in Superquinn etc (likes of Brocolli stalks, outer cabbage leaves etc).

Hmmmm- my favourite goat was called Natasha- I still have her bell in the kitchen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jackie g

hi smccarrick,

enjoyed your post - we have a mixed organic farm and have just added milking goats to our menargie. they are lovely and have just kidded for the first time in the past few weeks. they enjoy a very varied diet along with organic and free-range conditions - milk so far has been delicious. we hope to start making cheese later this year. i have one favourite goat too !! - she is so friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Don't know about butter, but margarine yellow comes from beta carotene, a plant extract (what makes carrots orange).

Have a look at your butter packet to make sure, I'd imagine it is as it should be grey in colour if it wasn't added.

kasintahan wrote:
    Don't know about butter, but margarine yellow comes from beta carotene, a plant extract (what makes carrots orange).

Have a look at your butter packet to make sure, I'd imagine it is as it should be grey in colour if it wasn't added.

There are no additives, apart from salt as a preservative, in butter (and even then a lot of the butter sold is unsalted- which simply means it has a shorter shelf life).

The colour of butter is a result of the diet of the cows- in Irish butter its a yellowish colour from the chlorophyll in grass/plants etc, in continental butter its a white colourless butter- a result for the most part of the animals being stall fed.

Take my word for it.

jackie g wrote:
    hi smccarrick,

enjoyed your post - we have a mixed organic farm and have just added milking goats to our menargie. they are lovely and have just kidded for the first time in the past few weeks. they enjoy a very varied diet along with organic and free-range conditions - milk so far has been delicious. we hope to start making cheese later this year. i have one favourite goat too !! - she is so friendly.

They are really friendly creatures, and verymuch have their own personalities.
    We weren't adventurous enough to make our own cheese, yoghurt is a doddle though- we used make it over-night on the cold ring of an old Aga range- and flavour it with fruit that we grew on the farm (loganberries were the most popular, which is a bit odd, as they are a little bitter). We sweetened the yoghurt with honey- it was yummy!

Best of good luck with your goats, they really are very pleasant creatures altogether.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

smccarrick wrote:
    The colour of butter is a result of the diet of the cows- in Irish butter its a yellowish colour from the chlorophyll in grass/plants etc, in continental butter its a white colourless butter- a result for the most part of the animals being stall fed.
    Well, actually the colour comes from carotene which is present not only as we all know in carrots, but also in green leaved plants including grass. The green colour of the chlorophyll masks this orange colour until the autumn when the chlorophyll breaks down and the colour of the more stable beta-carotene shows through.

Synthetic carotene is used to colour margarine to give it the same colour as butter from pasture fed cows.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I just don't like cream. I don't understand why people add it to food. Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

ummmm cream in a can *agggghhhhhhhhhhhh* im watering at the mouth!!!

Advertisement