Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway to The Point - Luas works

Options
  • 04-08-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Looking for some advice regarding planned disruption, I have one journey to make through Dublin city centre next week to the three arena from outside Dublin(Co Galway) during the day, I have only travelled before through the centre of the city along the quays to the venue.

I have studied the map for the Luas cross city roadworks and am still unsure if I can travel through the centre, it says some turns are restricted but I won't be turning can I still travel straight on to the East Wall area for the three arena?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Ray Jones wrote: »
    Looking for some advice regarding planned disruption, I have one journey to make through Dublin city centre next week to the three arena from outside Dublin(Co Galway) during the day, I have only travelled before through the centre of the city along the quays to the venue.

I have studied the map for the Luas cross city roadworks and am still unsure if I can travel through the centre, it says some turns are restricted but I won't be turning can I still travel straight on to the East Wall area for the three arena?

Thanks in advance

You can still travel your normal route through the city west to east along the quays and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yes you can still do this, but you'd be well advised to not do so. Consider using the red cow park and ride. Or perhaps park somewhere in Maynooth and take the train to Docklands station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ray Jones wrote: »

Thanks in advance

Are you travelling for an event in the point? That will have an impact on traffic. Personally I would just use the port tunnel, and pay the toll for a once off event. It brings you to the door and you'll be there and out of there in half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

beauf wrote: »
    Are you travelling for an event in the point? That will have an impact on traffic. Personally I would just use the port tunnel, and pay the toll for a once off event. It brings you to the door and you'll be there and out of there in half the time.

There's 2 tolls coming form Galway, just in Dublin.

The m6 toll is under 2e. The m4 toll is worth skipping by taking the old road with maybe a delay of ten minutes. So as far as I'm concerned it's a 1.90 toll which is nothing really for galway to Dublin.

• Advertisement

Think of it like taxi fare. (you have to pay it twice in both directions)

Also you save on the train fair. Its more about saving time. From the M50 to the point is about 15 mins via the tunnel. Compare that to the quays or getting the train. If its a big event, the area around the point and city centre may be jammed. Hard to guess with no context. Could be 30~60 mins.

The tunnel though is too expensive at peak. €10 at peak €3 off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

The toll for the DPT inbound in the PM peak is €3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The m6 toll is under 2e. The m4 toll is worth skipping by taking the old road with maybe a delay of ten minutes. So as far as I'm concerned it's a 1.90 toll which is nothing really for galway to Dublin.

The 2 tolls on the m50 are 3 for the tunnel, and 2.10/2.560/3.10 depending on if you've an account with the nra or a tag etc. to get to the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thread split.

If you wish, put your exact locations and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. Make sure you have selected "take neighbouring stops into account for origin and destination maximum 20 min walk".

Additionally, some private coach operators will provide direct services for events at The Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

To avoid the M4 toll requires coming off the motorway at Kinnegad and to take the R148 before returning to the M4 at Kilcock. It's quite a busy road, it's infamous for speed traps and it can be quite slow in places. OP, better off to suck up the €2.90 each way and to stay on the motorway for the same of adding time to the trip for a one off trip.

Also, avoid the area around the 3 Arena if you can. Congestion on a concert night can be horrendous, parking is hard to find plus there are some road closures in the area. I'd second parking at Maynooth train station or Red Cow or on the Citywest Luas line and coming in on public transport if only to make things easier on yourself.

• Advertisement

To avoid the M4 toll requires coming off the motorway at Kinnegad and to take the R148 before returning to the M4 at Kilcock. It's quite a busy road, it's infamous for speed traps and it can be quite slow in places. OP, better off to suck up the €2.90 each way and to stay on the motorway for the same of adding time to the trip for a one off trip.

Also, avoid the area around the 3 Arena if you can. Congestion on a concert night can be horrendous, parking is hard to find plus there are some road closures in the area. I'd second parking at Maynooth train station or Red Cow or on the Citywest Luas line and coming in on public transport if only to make things easier on yourself.

Well I regularly avoid the toll on the m4 and never regret it. Here's a thread which generally would disagree with your assertion re same.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056183581

Can you not just book parking in the Gibson when you book tickets at the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Well I regularly avoid the toll on the m4 and never regret it. Here's a thread which generally would disagree with your assertion re same.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056183581

I agree 100% with that. I drive that route regularly and the old road is fairly quiet now so you can make good progress except during harvest season when you can get stuck behind tractors. And you save fuel!

Advertisement