Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leap Card Capping

• 03-08-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Hey I am wondering how capping works on leap card for consecutive days without a product on the card, using dublin bus only. Links if possible.
    I have used the card the last 3 day including yesterday. If I use the card today and tomorrow. Will I be capped at consecutive 5 day rate of €29.50, pay for what ever I use each day limited by daily caps, or will a 5 day ticket rate apply. I believe such a ticket is €27.50

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The cap is €6.90 per day using Dublin Bus only.

The weekly cap is €27.50, but this applies to a fixed weekly period which runs from Monday to Sunday. Once you hit that no further fares will be deducted.

In your case €6.90 cap will apply for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and a new capping period will start today. If you only use it today and tomorrow, the €6.90 cap will apply each day, but if you also use it each day during the rest of the week then the €27.50 cap may come into play depending on the extent of your usage.

https://www.leapcard.ie/en/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=T%2fHcRN0lgkhyO2TJbCpdXbpkQ6D59bgR9MwK7i5q52U2rfQVZcNw%2bAb2e13wL37V62K83icu4wP%2fKxugVQHB8%2ftfq8sS44StQmsdGiKYqRWG4lf%2bgc7EYaq1dJckxC1SOs8Oi5WHyaggCxyPdGXNqCkz6KJl%2fC2vRG9pBSEkDcc%3d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

lxflyer wrote: »
    The cap is €6.90 per day using Dublin Bus only.

The weekly cap is €27.50, but this applies to a fixed weekly period which runs from Monday to Sunday. Once you hit that no further fares will be deducted.

In your case €6.90 cap will apply for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and a new capping period will start today. If you only use it today and tomorrow, the €6.90 cap will apply each day, but if you also use it each day during the rest of the week then the €27.50 cap may come into play depending on the extent of your usage.

https://www.leapcard.ie/en/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=T%2fHcRN0lgkhyO2TJbCpdXbpkQ6D59bgR9MwK7i5q52U2rfQVZcNw%2bAb2e13wL37V62K83icu4wP%2fKxugVQHB8%2ftfq8sS44StQmsdGiKYqRWG4lf%2bgc7EYaq1dJckxC1SOs8Oi5WHyaggCxyPdGXNqCkz6KJl%2fC2vRG9pBSEkDcc%3d

Really so it won't even give me the 5 non consecutive day rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what's your typical weekly usage like?
    there's almost always going to be a product of some sort to load onto your card that will make it cheaper.

Really so it won't even give me the 5 non consecutive day rate.

As I explained clearly above the weekly cap runs from Monday to Sunday only. It is not a rolling week.

You should have purchased a 5 day or 30 day rambler ticket to get better value.

what's your typical weekly usage like?
    there's almost always going to be a product of some sort to load onto your card that will make it cheaper.

Typical I would spend between €10-15 euro in a week Monday to Sunday, depends on how many journeys I make in a given day. If I visit family I will reach the daily cap but if I go to the city, my fare is €1.50-€2.05 each way depending on the driver or the the stop. O'Connell street being 4 stages away but parnell being 3. I was just asking about these specific days. I Do have some unavoidable journeys tommorow, but was unsure whether to postpone the journey I was thinking of making today.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    As I explained clearly above the weekly cap runs from Monday to Sunday only. It is not a rolling week.

You should have purchased a 5 day or 30 day rambler ticket to get better value.

Typical day is €1.50 * 2 or €1.50 + €2.05 some driver seem to charge for 4 stages on a 3 stage journey but that is a post for another day. I understand, the weekly cap of €27.50, and the 5 day nonconsecutive product you can preload to your card. I was just wondering if any kind of cap was applied for sequential days without a product.

Let me a real simple example since you are simply repeating what you said in your first reply, without answering the question posed. I load cash onto my card, I typical use the bus infrequently, there is not a regular pattern there. Somehow I find myself with alot of family commitment, job interviews, purpose of my journey are irrelevant really. Now Suddenly I find I need to make journey on a number of consecutive day. As chance would have these commitment didn't fall on a calendar week. I was just wondering if any other cap beside the daily cap would be applied for these 5 day that I now need to use the bus. €6.90 * 5 = €34.50 vs €27.50 for the 5 day consecutive ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Typical day is €1.50 * 2 or €1.50 + €2.05 some driver seem to charge for 4 stages on a 3 stage journey but that is a post for another day. I understand, the weekly cap of €27.50, and the 5 day nonconsecutive product you can preload to your card. I was just wondering if any kind of cap was applied for sequential days without a product.

Let me a real simple example since you are simply repeating what you said in your first reply, without answering the question posed. I load cash onto my card, I typical use the bus infrequently, there is not a regular pattern there. Somehow I find myself with alot of family commitment, job interviews, purpose of my journey are irrelevant really. Now Suddenly I find I need to make journey on a number of consecutive day. As chance would have these commitment didn't fall on a calendar week. I was just wondering if any other cap beside the daily cap would be applied for these 5 day that I now need to use the bus. €6.90 * 5 = €34.50 vs €27.50 for the 5 day consecutive ticket.

If you are using buses a lot on one day and not for a few days afterwards then a 5 day Rambler ticket may be of use to you. You can use the days non consecutively or consecutively if needs be or you can choose to use your fare credit as it suits.

Unfortunately capping system is limited to purely a calendar week.

The 5 day rambler will get you down to €29.50, which is only two quid away from the weekly capping's €27.50.

If you could afford to invest in a 30 day rambler, which is 30 non-consecutive days you could get it down to €4.92 per day.

With respect, I clearly did answer your question. Not only that but I gave you the link to the page on the LEAP website regarding capping.

The weekly cap applies only to the fixed Monday to Sunday period. In your example it does not apply and you can only avail of the daily cap, because you are straddling two different fixed weeks. There are no other ways of reducing the cost when you are an infrequent user, other than buying a rambler ticket.

The rambler tickets offer flexibility as they are valid for use over a two year period, with the 5 day ticket giving you travel for €5.90 per day and the 30 day rambler ticket product offering a day's travel for €4.92.

If you reckon that you make sufficient trips to warrant the cost, then load one of those onto the card, and then use the epurse the other days.

Bear in mind that if you are taking a second bus within 90 minutes of taking another, that the LEAP90 discount of €1 will apply to the second fare and this may reduce your travel costs.

while you're there Lx, hypathetical question.
    lets say I get a bus to work paying the €2.60 (so I'm using the right validator), but get a lift home.
    how does the reader know whether to take from the e-purse, or a day from the rambler?
    will it automatically deduct from the rambler, or does it auto-correct at the end of the day, or what way does it do it?

• Advertisement

while you're there Lx, hypathetical question.
    lets say I get a bus to work paying the €2.60 (so I'm using the right validator), but get a lift home.
    how does the reader know whether to take from the e-purse, or a day from the rambler?
    will it automatically deduct from the rambler, or does it auto-correct at the end of the day, or what way does it do it?

If you have a rambler ticket loaded onto the card and you want to use the epurse, then you have to go to the driver's machine to get the correct fare deducted.

If you go to the right hand validator, it will automatically deduct a day from the ticket. No auto-correct I'm afraid - just straightforward one day used.

Only exception to this is if you make your first journey of the day after 8pm, when the right-hand validator will deduct €2.60. If you want to use a day from your rambler ticket starting off after 8pm, then you need to ask the driver to validate it on his/her machine. However, from experience, most drivers have no idea how to do this.

Advertisement