Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U13 goalkeeper needs advice

Options
  • 29-07-2015 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm an u14/u13 goalkeeper playing at competitive level in div 2, I wanted to know if i should use proper goal gloves, I'm just afraid my friends and teammates will make the Mickey if me, also if you think I should get a pair of them which ones should I get I need a cheap pair that protect my finger or that stops them from bending back, that's ill I need

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'm an u14/u13 goalkeeper playing at competitive level in div 2, I wanted to know if i should use proper goal gloves, I'm just afraid my friends and teammates will make the Mickey if me, also if you think I should get a pair of them which ones should I get I need a cheap pair that protect my finger or that stops them from bending back, that's ill I need

They won't be long taking the mickey out of you if you start dropping a few balls into the net or into the path of full forward. Get gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Get proper keeper gloves. Go around to the different sport shops and try on some pairs as the different brands have different sizing. Then have a look online as there will be a far better selection. Don't go for crazy expensive as you are still growing so will outgrow pairs fast and depending on how often you play you need to take wear and tear into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finn_Morrison

Thanks for replying I'm really needed the help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's not about protecting your hands or taking the sting out of a hard shot. It's about improving your grip and performance. Definitely get gloves.

I know but when some takes a shot and it hits of the top of my fingers they bend back and get destroyed then if it rebounds and there is another shot taken I'm afraid that I'll damage the bad hand even more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Finn, fair play to you for asking for advice, only way to get on. 'Proper' Goalkeeper gloves will offer greater protection than standard gloves as well as good grip. On some models, the fingers are squared off. Try on a few different types and get a good fit. BTW, Some lads will take the mick no matter what - dont worry -ignore them. Once they see you handling the ball securely, the tune will change. Good luck with it!

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Finn, fair play to you for asking for advice, only way to get on. 'Proper' Goalkeeper gloves will offer greater protection than standard gloves as well as good grip. On some models, the fingers are squared off. Try on a few different types and get a good fit. BTW, Some lads will take the mick no matter what - dont worry -ignore them. Once they see you handling the ball securely, the tune will change. Good luck with it!
    Thanks for the help and the advice I really needed it

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭largepants

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Dont mind your friends. They'll be more than happy when you save their bacon.

May I suggest you try unisportstore.com for gloves. I regularly use them for my 12 year old who plays in goal for the local soccer team.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The palms on proper goalkeeper gloves really last no time at all, so perhaps just save them for matches.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The best keepers gloves out there are either the Adidas Fingersave or the Sondico AquaSpine/ProTect, where they have protection at the back of the finger so that it prevents your finger from going back. They can cost up to €20, but if you follow the care instructions after every training session/match they should last a year at least

ProDirectSoccer have them, or as far as I know SportsWorld have the Sondico ones and should have the adidas ones. I've worn them since I was 14/15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

I think I know what your talking about. Theres quite a set of unwritten rules to abide by in GAA. O'neills gloves etc are as fancy as you can go if your outfield but goalkeepers are generally allowed go for soccer goalie gloves. As long as you're keeping the ball out of the net your teammates wont mind what you've got on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm just afraid my friends and teammates will make the Mickey if me
    Compare your gloves to their boots; it's something needed to ensure your team wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

yogi37 wrote: »
    I think I know what your talking about. Theres quite a set of unwritten rules to abide by in GAA. O'neills gloves etc are as fancy as you can go if your outfield but goalkeepers are generally allowed go for soccer goalie gloves. As long as you're keeping the ball out of the net your teammates wont mind what you've got on your hands.

The only gloves anyone on my team ever wore were those yellow Mikasa gloves with the rubber dots around them.

Maybe technology has moved on a bit since then

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Akrasia wrote: »
    The only gloves anyone on my team ever wore were those yellow Mikasa gloves with the rubber dots around them.

Maybe technology has moved on a bit since then

Some job, especially when the tops sag down because your hands are half way out of them... :pac:

Agreed with most on here, I am a goalkeeper and have played to a pretty high level. I wear Adidas Fingersave / Uhlsport Bionic gloves, I wouldn't go back to the ones without the spines. They are great for protection and keeping your hands strong at all times.

Advertisement