Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying less (way less) than minimum wage

Options
  • 17-08-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, I became aware of a place that is paying two of their employees just €5 per hour. On top of this the employees must pay their own costs. During their working day they are driving their own cars, and wasting their own petrol.

I would like the report the business and I don't know how. I would also like to know that if I do this will the employees will get in trouble for not paying tax? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They might be happy to have that job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

SeanFxx wrote: »
    Hi, I became aware of a place that is paying two of their employees just €5 per hour. On top of this the employees must pay their own costs. During their working day they are driving their own cars, and wasting their own petrol.

I would like the report the business and I don't know how. I would also like to know that if I do this will the employees will get in trouble for not paying tax? Thanks

Sounds like they're delivery drivers. In a lot of cases they're technically self-employed contractors so aren't subject to the same minimum wage as employees. I know that's the agreement that Domino's and Apache pizza have with their drivers anyways.

Are you sure they're actually employed by this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SeanFxx

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Sounds like they're delivery drivers. In a lot of cases they're technically self-employed contractors so aren't subject to the same minimum wage as employees. I know that's the agreement that Domino's and Apache pizza have with their drivers anyways.

Are you sure they're actually employed by this company?

Yes they are employees. They call them "Delivery Drivers" however on most days they will not do a single delivery and will be out delivering Leaflets all day. If they do get a delivery they are called back to the store. They dont make money on deliverys as there are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Yes they are employees. They call them "Delivery Drivers" however on most days they will not do a single delivery and will be out delivering Leaflets all day. If they do get a delivery they are called back to the store. They dont make money on deliverys as there are none.

If they were just doing deliverys then that would be fair enough as they would have the money for deliverys and tips. But if they have them walking & driving around the streets too then thats not good enough. Especially if they are not actually making deliverys.

I left a delivery job as I wasnt getting paid enough. I was just hoping that it got better, but it never did. There were some nights that I would come back with less than I went out with :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am currently working for a Fast Food resturant in Dublin. I am also only getting paid 5 euro per hour. I know that I should quit but I still need the small bit of money that they give me. €25 per night is all I get. I also answer the phones and do deliverys.

I would like to report them too after I left as we are not just delivery drivers an we answer the phones and deliver their menu too. It would hopefully get better for those still there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I left a delivery job as I wasnt getting paid enough. I was just hoping that it got better, but it never did. There were some nights that I would come back with less than I went out with :(

Same here, I did it myself for a spare bit of cash on the side when my regular job got quiet. The fact that no one tips and the cost of petrol makes it a pointless waste of time.

You're right OP, being paid less than a fiver an hour to drive around dropping leaflets is fairly exploitative.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SeanFxx

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    If they were just doing deliverys then that would be fair enough as they would have the money for deliverys and tips. But if they have them walking & driving around the streets too then thats not good enough. Especially if they are not actually making deliverys.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Same here, I did it myself for a spare bit of cash on the side when my regular job got quiet. The fact that no one tips and the cost of petrol makes it a pointless waste of time.

You're right OP, being paid less than a fiver an hour to drive around dropping leaflets is fairly exploitative.

So how do I report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

how do you know their not paying tax?

If they are not paying tax then that's another issue.

Contact NERA the National Employment Rights Agency.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

sounds like a work placement scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/Inspection%20Complaint%20Form%2026%20Aug%2010.pdf
    be careful ticking the correct box regarding remaining anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

So how do I report them.

Do they have a contract with the company stating rate per hour?

If people are working anywhere these days without a written contract then employers will be free to do whatever they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

winston82 wrote: »
    Do they have a contract with the company stating rate per hour?

If people are working anywhere these days without a written contract then employers will be free to do whatever they like

An ill-informed statement if i ever read one.

Under the Terms of Employment Act 1994, every employee is entitled to recieve a written terms of employment within two months of commencing employment.

In addition the employee is entitled to report the failure of an employer to the Labour relations commision where upon the employer will be asked to produce a copy of the terms of employment. Failure to due so will result in an award of approx 1 months salary to the employee. These cases can be taken while during or after the employment.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0005/sec0003.html#sec3

You really need to be careful when people spout basless advice.

Advertisement