Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in a bad situation in work, advise needed...

Options
  • 09-08-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work as an apprentice Electrician,
    I am currently in employment but work isn't great.
    Payment is never on time and I am not getting what I am owed,
    I work mad hours, nearly 10 hours over time a week and nearly every Saturday,
    Which I don't get paid for.
    As much as I'm annoyed by that, I understand times are not great and I'm just happy to be in employment.

My problem is this,
    I have been called for my phase 6 (college phase) of my apprentice (last college stint),
    Twice already. Both times my employer turned it down, "because we where busy."
    The thing is it can only be turned down three times, before your apprenticeship is cancelled and FAS don't call for you again.
    My employers want to turn it down again, for the third time.

FAS have said that my apprenticeship will be stopped and my weeks (towards my time) will not be counted if this happens.
    It can be applied but it is a long process, a process I don't want to have to get into...
    The way I see it is I have done enough favors for the company, I have worked more hours then anyone else and I don't get paid for them.
    I am on the road alot, I drive my own car. I don't get petrol money, nor do I get travel allowance.
    I could work 4 hours overtime one day for free, then take an hour off the next day and I'd be docked for it.

My situation is, I need to do my last stint in college or everything I have worked for will be pointless.
    At the moment I down two weeks wages, as cash flow is not great.
    Next week I am taking my holidays and come then I will be owed 5 weeks wages,
    Which I am doubtful I will get :(

Even though I worked easter week, I am only getting two weeks off paid.
    I know if I tell them I am going to college they will either sack me or I will have to leave,
    if I leave am I entitled to getting the wages I am owed, aswell as the holiday pay I am owed?
    Or do I have to be let go in order to be entitled to such?

All help greatly appreciated, extremely depressed :(
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're taking the p*ss: if they're that busy that they cannot let you go to the course, they they should be able to pay you on time.

Tell them that you NEED to do the course this time, that it's not optional and you're going.

And if they say they'll fire you if you go, drop subtle hints about employment courts (you know your mate who's an employment lawyer...) and also about Revenue issues.

Can apprentices change jobs part way through? Have you looked for any other employers???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Curley71

You should contact the training officer in the Fas office and explain your situation (which sounds awful). I would expect that Fas should contact your employer and ask why you're not given the time off to do your course. Your employer is abusing the system - a system which has been put in place for young people to work and train at the same time. In order for you to get the training from Fas in the first place your employer had to be reconginised by Fas. Therefore they should be putting alot of pressure on him to give you the time off and get this course finished. If you cancel it a 3rd time you’re finished and everything you've worked towards is more or less wasted as you'll have to work these past few months up again. I would absolutely go and complete your training. Have a look at the Fas website Jobseekers/apprentice section, there are numerous Electrician apprenticeships available in different parts of the country at different levels. maybe it’s time to apply to a different employer, one that won't take advantage. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

They are making a fool out of you op get onto your contact is in FAS usually someone in a services to businees section , and explain very clearly your situation with regards to them not wanting to leave you go on block release.
    I was told by my services to bussiness FAS rep that the employer can only turn it down once, the second call to that phase cannot be turned down by employer only by apprenctice not responding to letters sent etc.

Keep a detalied diary of every hour of overtime you work and if they try and stop you from going to your phase 6 go to solictor with diary and ask how to procede from there you cannot continue doing work your not being paid for put a stop to it immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

Cut and run my friend. Yes, you might find it hard without the little income your employer gives you, but in the long term a trade is gold.

Advertisement