Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Veg cevapcici (still perfecting the recipe) with a tabouleh-style quinoa salad, tsatsiki, aubergine caviar and red pepper houmous.

aaxd91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shenshen wrote: »
    Veg cevapcici (still perfecting the recipe) with a tabouleh-style quinoa salad, tsatsiki, aubergine caviar and red pepper houmous.
    ]

That looks gorgeous.
    We have very, very different ideas as to what constitutes "tabouleh-style"!
    Mine has evolved to not contain any grains at all.

That looks gorgeous.
    We have very, very different ideas as to what constitutes "tabouleh-style"!
    Mine has evolved to not contain any grains at all.

Sort of like the Turkish variant? Tomatoes, cucumber, onions and parsley in equal quantities with lemon juice and salt?

I used to make mine with couscous, but I find I actually prefer the texture and taste of the quinoa. Can't make it without, my hubby won't eat anything that looks too much like a salad, so I have to keep the grains in. ;)

Sort of like the Turkish variant? Tomatoes, cucumber, onions and parsley in equal quantities with lemon juice and salt?

I used to make mine with couscous, but I find I actually prefer the texture and taste of the quinoa. Can't make it without, my hubby won't eat anything that looks too much like a salad, so I have to keep the grains in. ;)

That's pretty much it but I don't put cucumber in and use half half parsley and mint (a lot!).
    I used to put a tiny amount of bulgar in (it just soaks up some of the liquid) but don't bother any more.
    Yes, you have to love green stuff and lemon to love my "tabbouleh",

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I've only used quinoa once, and it was a disaster. I kept to the times indicated on the packet, and it turned out to be a disgusting sludge. It put me off using it again, but I'd love to try. Any hints?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Wanted something a bit stodgy last night but without eating what my hearts desire was leaning towards (2 pints of cheese sauce with a bit of pasta floating in it) so made a really intensely tomatoey, sort-of arrabiatta sauce with much pancetta and then baked parboiled penne in it. (hello 3 lines of waffle to say 'pasta bake'!) It looks like it's freshly slopped out of the bain marie in a student canteen but it was delightful. I both went back for seconds and to steal bits of crispy pasta and cheese over the course of the evening.

Dgk1S3z.jpg

katydid wrote: »
    I've only used quinoa once, and it was a disaster. I kept to the times indicated on the packet, and it turned out to be a disgusting sludge. It put me off using it again, but I'd love to try. Any hints?

Yep! The packet says use two cups of water for every 1 cup of quinoa. I use 1 cup of water for every 1 cup of quinoa.
    I also usually turn the heat right down once I add the quinoa, it's more soaking it in hot water than actually boiling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yep! The packet says use two cups of water for every 1 cup of quinoa. I use 1 cup of water for every 1 cup of quinoa.
    I also usually turn the heat right down once I add the quinoa, it's more soaking it in hot water than actually boiling it.

This. 110%.

Pan fried duck breasts, rhubarb and ginger sauce, charred baby gem lettuce, cucumber mint and lime salad, Thai fragrant rice.

8ew10bT.jpg

Thanks for that. I'll give it another go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

*the* tastiest omelette I think I've ever had - spring onions (are spring onions also called scallions or are they two different things??) and somewhat aged cherry tomatoes lightly fried, three-egg omelette mixture poured into pan, feta crumbled in straight away. The FLAVOUR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

*the* tastiest omelette I think I've ever had - spring onions (are spring onions also called scallions or are they two different things??) and somewhat aged cherry tomatoes lightly fried, three-egg omelette mixture poured into pan, feta crumbled in straight away. The FLAVOUR.

I have figured out that with omelettes the more eggs the better! There is nothing nicer than a cheese and tomato omelette, yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Cabbage cooked in rice with spices served with tuna mixture (soy sauce, lemon juice and mayo).

This head of cabbage is like the 100 loaves story. :pac: It's about the third or fourth meal I've used it for. I'm going to use it all tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Scallions/spring onions are the same thing afaik :)

Tonight I made a pasta bake, and added plenty of cheese to it. Nicest pasta I've made in absolutely ages. It was so yummy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It was my friend's last night in town so we had ourselves a last supper for five, with a (loose) Irish theme. I cooked.

Eden smokies to start (smoked haddock, mixed cherry tomatoes, scallions, creme fraiche and melty cheese) with crusty bread. Roast lamb with garlic and rosemary, with colcannon and roasted chanteray carrots, and a rich red wine and mint gravy. Dessert was creme brulee with fresh blackberries and cream. Prosecco, red wine, coffee, Baileys and scotch may also have been consumed.

Someone took photos, I'll see if I can get one. :)

Really simple dinner yesterday, my OH had picked up a packet of butternut squash and sage stuffed pasta in Tesco. So I finely chopped and fried some leek, doused it with some leftover white wine, added a touch of cream and a nice large chunk of gorgonzola. Bit of pepper over the top, and then stirred in the cooked pasta.

I'll be honest, I gave out to him when he wanted to give his empty plate to the cat to lick it clean. I licked it clean instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chicken, chorizo and chickpeas in a beautiful basil and tomato sauce, with some butternut squash and red peppers. Served with roasted sweet potato, delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My entire weekend was spent in my parents place so it was like a Tudor banquet from start to finish, we all left with our heads intact but definitely with the addition of some unwanted poundage! Had a deliciously rare roast sirloin of beef (3kg) which I cooked and it turned out wonderfully. We also had roast leg of lamb one of the days, again sublime. Copious amounts of Sheridans cheeses, double chocolate fudge cake, lemon drizzle cake, a whole array of seafood.....you get the picture! The only photo I remembered to take was when we had crab claws for starter on Sunday, the rest is all a piggy blur! :o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last night I move the pasta bake from the day before into a smaller dish and heated it up in the oven, served with chicken fillets fried in butter and finished with a squeeze of lemon juice and some parmesan. No photo because it looked even worst than it had done fresh ('slop.....slop....knives and forks are at the end love...next! pasta bake or fish pie love?')

Tonight I am twitchy for something with chili and citrus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Merkin wrote: »
    My entire weekend was spent in my parents place so it was like a Tudor banquet from start to finish, we all left with our heads intact but definitely with the addition of some unwanted poundage! Had a deliciously rare roast sirloin of beef (3kg) which I cooked and it turned out wonderfully. We also had roast leg of lamb one of the days, again sublime. Copious amounts of Sheridans cheeses, double chocolate fudge cake, lemon drizzle cake, a whole array of seafood.....you get the picture! The only photo I remembered to take was when we had crab claws for starter on Sunday, the rest is all a piggy blur! :o:)
    So since you're not living there anymore, do you reckon they'd adopt me and i could have your old room???? :)

• Advertisement

Tilly wrote: »
    So since you're not living there anymore, do you reckon they'd adopt me and i could have your old room???? :)

Be my guest Tilly mdear but we warned that they are committed feeders! When my husband stayed there for the first time he was paranoid they were fattening up to eat him :D

Going to make a Toulouse sausage casserole this evening methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Black bean tostadas, with guacamole, feta & lots of hot sauce. Then my girlfriend baked a batch of dark chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Black bean tostadas, with guacamole, feta & lots of hot sauce. Then my girlfriend baked a batch of dark chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Did you buy or make the tostadas?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

EITS wrote: »
    Did you buy or make the tostadas?

I bought some Old El Paso soft mini tortillas, and toasted them on a griddle pan until they're nice and... well, toasty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Sea bass on spinach with sweet potato hash.

Roast lamb with garlic and rosemary, with colcannon and roasted chanteray carrots, and a rich red wine and mint gravy.

2uz35g2.jpg

We had leftovers tonight - potato cakes made from leftover colcannon, lamb, gravy and green beans. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Roast garlic chicken breasts on the bone, potatoes, and gravy.

It was a long day, so something quick, easy, simple and tasty was in order.

No veg as I didn't get to do the shopping yet.

I made a Toulouse sausage casserole this evening and it was really good. I put chilli and Worcester sauce in it so it packed quite a punch. Did enough for tomorrow too so we can pig out enjoy it again tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Hubby made some German Rinderschmorbraten the other night (a piece of beef cooked in a covered roasting tin, with finely diced carrots, onions and celery) with potato dumplings and red cabbage. The whole dinner came about because I brought home a jar of red cabbage from Lidl and he decided he was going to make a meal around the cabbage....

Anyway, he made too many dumplings (and they were a bit bland) so last night I sliced the remaining ones into rounds, seasoned them, and friend them. We had them with pork and apple sausages and lots of mittelscharf German mustard. Yum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement