Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blood bikes

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

ectoraige wrote: »
    My understanding is as follows, please do not quote in a court of law :)

The vol organisations have their own insurance cover so if there was an incident this is what would be claimed under.

So a member of a voluntary ambulance service while performing his duties would have those exemptions. If he caused an accident due to driving recklessly then he may be prosecuted, but it would be the orgs insurer who would pay out.
    Thanks for your response
    This is where I have a serious doubt and where I would query whether Voluntary Groups such as river rescue units, blood bikes search & rescue mountain rescue etc not just Vol Ambulance units can travel under blue lights.
    As you say the person driving is the responsible person and the person who will be prosecuted if they act outside the law, but I cannot see the Voluntary group being able to get insurance that will cover such an incident as the insurance would be very specific as to what cover it offers and would not offer cover outside of the law.
    So I wonder what responsibility is there on a Voluntary organisation to ensure its members drive within the law and where does the responsibility/accountability within the Voluntary Organisation lie.

I think Voluntary Organisations should refrain from fitting blues and twos as it can give its members the impression they are something they are not and they may assume they can drive in a manner they are not allowed to.
    Better safe than sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

apc wrote: »
    Thanks for your response
    This is where I have a serious doubt and where I would query whether Voluntary Groups such as river rescue units, blood bikes search & rescue mountain rescue etc not just Vol Ambulance units can travel under blue lights.
    As you say the person driving is the responsible person and the person who will be prosecuted if they act outside the law, but I cannot see the Voluntary group being able to get insurance that will cover such an incident as the insurance would be very specific as to what cover it offers and would not offer cover outside of the law.
    So I wonder what responsibility is there on a Voluntary organisation to ensure its members drive within the law and where does the responsibility/accountability within the Voluntary Organisation lie.

I think Voluntary Organisations should refrain from fitting blues and twos as it can give its members the impression they are something they are not and they may assume they can drive in a manner they are not allowed to.
    Better safe than sorry

I understand where you're coming from, whatever discretion might be used by the Gardaí, the insurance companies are another matter. I guess there's loosely three groups:

1) Groups allowed to use lights and sirens, and have exemptions under the RTA - Gardaí, Fire, and Ambulance personnel, both statutory and voluntary.

2) Groups allowed to use lights and sirens, but without exemptions - Blood Bikes, Coast Guard officers, Prison service, Military police

3) Groups that aren't allowed to use lights and sirens, and have no exemptions, but use them anyway - vol. rescue units

The blood bike people should be okay as far as insurance goes as they are allowed use blue lights and one would assume the insurer knows that. If they speed or go through a red light that still shouldn't invalidate their insurance, any more than it does when a normal member of the public speeds or breaks a light. The apportioning of blame and liability to prosecution is also the same as a "normal" member of the public.

I would be worried for the likes of the rescue units which aren't meant to have the lights in the first place, I can imagine that might invalidate their insurance, just like not having a valid licence can invalidate insurance. Maybe they count as a Fire Service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Blood1

Looks like we are on a merry go round again on this h**ps://w**.esforum.org/showthread.php?tid=6384&page=25

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Prospectors

I have seen a Facebook page for bloodbike Dublin now also. Does that mean there are three bloodbike organisations in the Dublin/Leinster region?
    Have the tensions between the groups that have been outlined in the older posts of this thread been resolved? Sounds like a great service made up of great people!

Advertisement