Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta sauce question

Options
  • 07-04-2005 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

I've made my own tomato based sauce for pasta on a few occasions, but would like to know how to get rid of, or lessen, the zinc-like taste from the tinned tomatoes. despite garlic, onion, oregano, parsley, etc. being in there, it's far and away the dominant taste. I'm using both tomatoe puree and skinned, tinned tomatoes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I don't know about getting rid of the taste from tinned tomatoes but .. maybe use fresh tomatoes.. soak them for about 30 seconds or so in boiling water.. makes it easy to remove their skin.. and simply chop! nice and fresh. . I always prefer to use fresh to tinned.. but that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I never use tomato puree - I don't care for the flavour.
    Add a teaspoon of sugar, or a tablespoon of tomato ketchup to the sauce - this combats the acidity of the tomatoes. Also, I usually blend the canned plum tomatoes for a moment with a hand blender before adding to the pan, for a better consistency. Finally, cooking it on a gentle heat for quite a while, maybe 45 mins or an hour, will improve the flavour of your sauce and get rid of the "canned" taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Try different brands of tinned tomato - they all differ. Roma ones are pretty sweet iirc.

Are you buying the tinned tomatoes with garlic and herbs already added? If so, desist - it tastes better when you add fresh herbs & garlic.

Also, don't bother with the purée - it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Use a non-stick pan, the acidity may be drawing something from the pot if you are simmering it for ages.

Certain brands are better than other, I find slow simmering dramatically improves the flavour - especially for bolognese - but don't add all the herbs too early on.......

Fresh tomatoes are great, although plum ones are hard to get, doing as cork_girl says is the best and save picking out the skins later! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Pinch of sugar and splash of balsamic lessen it greatly, remember to simmer it for at least 25 mins.

Buy passata sold in glass bottles as there is no metal taint.

We'd all love to peel our own tomatoes every night, but face it, if you've got a child and you work it's not going to happen until the weekend.

A non-stick pan won't make any difference, I'm afraid. I hate non-stick ware with an all consuming passion. (Not that that has anything to do with this thread.)

If you roast some peppers and shove them in the sauce after simmering, it also cuts the metallic taste, again because of the sweetness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement