Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for crisps that I used to get as a kid!

Options
  • 08-12-2014 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

This seems like a bit of a stretch but I'm looking for a brand of crisps that I haven't had since I was a kid and have only recently come back to mind.

I just always remember my dad bring them back from the off licence when we were younger. It would have been 10/12 years ago at least. They were cheese and onion, they came in a tougher packet than you would get with taytos and the likes. I seem to remember that the packet was blue and orange (I'm not entirely certain on this though as it's been a while).

Do any of you have any ideas? Details are very limited and I'm not even sure it they're still around. Asked my dad and he said that they might have been from perri, but I can't seem to find them.

Cheers guys!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Perri, Tony, King Crisps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Perri, Tony, King Crisps ?

Never heard of Tony and cant seem to find an image of them on Google. They definitely weren't the main cheese and onion crisps from Perri or King. Like I said, I seem to remember them having a blue and orange packet. Did perri have a more "upmarket" cheese and onion bag back in the early 2000s?

Sorry for the limited info. I knew they weren't going to be easy to find.

Possibly should have spelt that as "Toni" think they made Onion Rings anyway. Some brands brought out foil packets that were tough. The Orange and Blue doesn't ring a bell with me. Would they have been Northern Ireland crisps, by any chance? Northern Tayto are completely different company, taste and packaging different as well.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Possibly should have spelt that as "Toni" think they made Onion Rings anyway. Some brands brought out foil packets that were tough. The Orange and Blue doesn't ring a bell with me. Would they have been Northern Ireland crisps, by any chance? Northern Tayto are completely different company, taste and packaging different as well.

Nope. Definitely not NI tayto. It's wrecking my head at this stage. I'm sure it will come to me soon enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Sam Spudz?

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Sam Spudz?

Nope. I always thought of them as "adult" crisps when he brought them home for us (as silly as that sounds).

Seem to also remember there being a man or men on the front by a kettle or oven but again, it's been so long that I might be completely wrong about the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ldnboy87

Jonnie Onion Rings had and still have a blue and orange packet. Could it be them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Why does Mr Tayto sit by the phone all night?

In case jonnie onion rings.

ldnboy87 wrote: »
    Jonnie Onion Rings had and still have a blue and orange packet. Could it be them?

Nope :p

They were definitely normal crisps/ crisp shape.

I'm getting desperate, I've sent an email to Largo foods. I'm sure they have better things to be doing than answering my trivial request... but I needed to call in the big guns!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

there were a lot of 'kettle' style brands out around 10 years ago, and they probably were a more adult brand, especially being in a pub.
    I think there were a few english brand knocking about, and these could be one of them?
    most probably a surename?

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote:
    there were a lot of 'kettle' style brands out around 10 years ago, and they probably were a more adult brand, especially being in a pub. I think there were a few english brand knocking about, and these could be one of them? most probably a surename?

Don't remember them being in a pub. it was the local off licence that they were in. Pretty sure they were in newsagents too but we only got them from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Any of these? Jaysus, that's a huge picture....sorry :o

Or Frisps? Discos? Smiths?
    crisps-2.jpg

Kovu wrote: »
    Any of these? Jaysus, that's a huge picture....sorry :o

Or Frisps? Discos? Smiths?

They all look a little older than what I'm thinking of. But thanks though. I think whiskeyman is on the right track. I think they were a "kettle" style crisp but it's ridiculously hard to search for that now that we have the "Kettle" brand. Hopefully Largo foods can shed some light on this conundrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Golden wonder crips maybe

gavmcg92 wrote: »

They all look a little older than what I'm thinking of. But thanks though. I think whiskeyman is on the right track. I think they were a "kettle" style crisp but it's ridiculously hard to search for that now that we have the "Kettle" brand. Hopefully Largo foods can shed some light on this conundrum!

Ah! I'm only after copping the 92 in your username. I should remember them so....I was a crisp fiend about 10-12 years ago.

Weren't the perri catering crisps by any chance? Or KP 'Fresh N Golden'

There is a tread in After Hours about "Crisp brands that have disappeared" back in 2009. If you do a search.

Kovu wrote: »
    Ah! I'm only after copping the 92 in your username. I should remember them so....I was a crisp fiend about 10-12 years ago.

Weren't the perri catering crisps by any chance? Or KP 'Fresh N Golden'

I feel like an annoying game show host now... sorry but nope and nope. Was the brand Kettle around 10/12 years ago? Does anyone have an image of what their packet design was like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Johnny onion rings had a blue and orange packet .

Just asked my sister. She remembers them as well but it turns out they were Red and not orange. Any ideas?

The was a brand of corn snacks going back around 20 years ago called "Hot Lips" but they weren't Cheese and Onion more a spicy sort of taste. There was loads of crisps on the Irish market one time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

The was a brand of corn snacks going back around 20 years ago called "Hot Lips" but they weren't Cheese and Onion more a spicy sort of taste. There was loads of crisps on the Irish market one time.

They are still around , had a bag recently

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Tayto Snax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

je551e wrote: »
    They are still around , had a bag recently

Cool, I was in shop (run by Asians) near Croke Park on All-Ireland final day and they seemed to have a huge variety of crisps compared to what we get down the country. I remember a type of crisps which were my favourite as a kid but very hard to find, they were an intense pickled onion flavour similar to meanies and came in a blue packet. I remember them costing about 10p back in the late 1990's.

SNAPS! :D:D:D

They are still around here in some shops. They were a couple of years ago anyway.

That was fast, everything in my head told me they were Snax, but they are different entirely. Now to find a good cornershop somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Off licences used to often have "pub crisps" or more upmarket ones which the OP is suggesting. The "tougher bag" sounds familiar, and it is the likes of kettle chips in these bags which almost felt papery. It was like it was foil lined but the outside was a non-shiny coating.

There is a man on the front of these.

article-2243695-16297CBB000005DC-564_306x423.jpg

That was fast, everything in my head told me they were Snax, but they are different entirely. Now to find a good cornershop somewhere.

We used to fight over packets of them at work last year. They were my favourite too but they changed the recipe a bit, the taste is the same but the texture is different.

rubadub wrote: »
    Off licences used to often have "pub crisps" or more upmarket ones which the OP is suggesting. The "tougher bag" sounds familiar, and it is the likes of kettle chips in these bags which almost felt papery. It was like it was foil lined but the outside was a non-shiny coating.

There is a man on the front of these.

You have the right idea. None of those Kettle crisps are looking familiar though. Were they around 10 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I used to love oddballs. 5p a bag. Tomato ketchup flavour.

Advertisement