Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rationel Windows openings

Options
  • 30-08-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

I am hoping someone may be able to tell me there experience with Rationel Windows. Although I had mine fitted last March and we are not yet in I have noted that my top hung windows when open just slide back closed; they don't stay open.. is this the hinges ? Its on all the windows so I'm a little concerned. All the windows are large openings but I would assume it wouldn't be an available top hung if the hinge couldn't support it.

Also, I've been told numerous times by the local office that someone from Rationel will come out to sort out all tweeks and issues before we move in and there is no point doing it while construction continues. Have others that installed Rationel been told this and is it true?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I have seen that particular problem before with that window company.

As they suggest, it is probably best to wait until the end of construction and have all the windows (and external doors) snagged/adjusted in one go. That particular problem, AFAIK, simply needs the hinges to be adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I have 900x1500 top hung windows in my design and two large window companies have both stated that with a pane that size it won't stay opened out as the weight of the glass and gravity will keep closing the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

hexosan wrote: »
    I have 900x1500 top hung windows in my design and two large window companies have both stated that with a pane that size it won't stay opened out as the weight of the glass and gravity will keep closing the window.

It depends on the type of hinge that is used. Butt hinges won’t stay open and neither will a standard reflex hinge, unless it is sticking. Fully reversible hinges – Spilka or similar – generally will, and some of them are fitted with blowback preventers to stop them being blown closed.

Advertisement