Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Sports 1 Picture Quality

• 30-08-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭

The picture on my tele for Setanta 1 is constantly stalling and is worse than an internet stream. No issues with BT or ESPN, just Setanta.

Rang them about it twice and they said that they've had no complaints which is lies because I've read about people complaining on Twitter. They said to turn off and on the box etc. but it hasn't helped anything.

Anybody else having this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The picture on my tele for Setanta 1 is constantly stalling and is worse than an internet stream. No issues with BT or ESPN, just Setanta.

Rang them about it twice and they said that they've had no complaints which is lies because I've read about people complaining on Twitter. They said to turn off and on the box etc. but it hasn't helped anything.

Anybody else having this problem?

Yes I had this problem only today, in fact just after stoke scored when I put my boot through the receiver!:D

Seriously though the quality on setanta is and has always been ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Seriously though the quality on setanta is and has always been ****e.

I actually think it has improved this season ,it isnt half bad at all ,very comparable to other SD channels .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I actually think it has improved this season ,it isnt half bad at all ,very comparable to other SD channels .

I noticed this too, Setanta picture has definitely improved since last year and bits now better than Sky SD

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I noticed this too, Setanta picture has definitely improved since last year and bits now better than Sky SD

Think that may be partly due to Sky reducing their bitrate!
    The Sky SD channels have got worse and worse over the last 3 years.

Having said that, I do think Setanta has improved slightly.

Think that may be partly due to Sky reducing their bitrate!
    The Sky SD channels have got worse and worse over the last 3 years.

Yip ,its all a ruse to make HD look better and encourage you to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Yeah but it's not slightly poor quality that's the problem, the screen flickers about constantly making it almost unwatchable? It actually is worse than an online stream.

I've read online of people complaining about it to them but when I rang both times they said they hadn't received any complaints and even told me to contact Sky to see if there was something wrong on their end which makes no sense :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

it isnt half bad at all ,very comparable to other SD channels .

Nothing to be proud of as most SD channels are looking awful these days

lertsnim wrote: »
    Nothing to be proud of as most SD channels are looking awful these days

Thats true but a good tv set can make a big difference when upscaling SD.
    Different receivers can also make a difference .
    For example SD will look far better on a receiver with an STI chipset .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

I'm on the 1 euro trial and I won't be keeping it up. It's totally impossible to watch. As op said its just setanta 1 and Ireland. BT and espn are perfect.

Standard sky box connected via scart to good old tv with tube. No hd or upscaling involved. Signal strength and quality are both nearly 100%.

I'm on the 1 euro trial and I won't be keeping it up. It's totally impossible to watch. As op said its just setanta 1 and Ireland. BT and espn are perfect.

Standard sky box connected via scart to good old tv with tube. No hd or upscaling involved. Signal strength and quality are both nearly 100%.

Glad someone else is in the same boat. What's the story with the quality? It doesn't look like it's gonna let up either :(

Have you rang them about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Setanta's picture on satellite is probably the best I've seen from an SD channel in ages.

Mallagio wrote: »
    Setanta's picture on satellite is probably the best I've seen from an SD channel in ages.

3rd phonecall and they finally admitted there was a problem with some customers reception. I'm not on about a slightly low quality picture, it's almost unwatchable it's that bad.

Will be so annoyed if they don't sort it soon because there's actually a lot of football on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

3rd phonecall and they finally admitted there was a problem with some customers reception. I'm not on about a slightly low quality picture, it's almost unwatchable it's that bad.

Will be so annoyed if they don't sort it soon because there's actually a lot of football on it.

Don't get me wrong, a couple of seasons ago their output on satellite was stream-like at best.

720 x 576 is much better than Sky Sports SD which now is a disgrace for anyone to pay for.

Can you do a screengrab or short video? I found with Sky boxes that the video output settings can be wrong for anything other than HD at times

Advertisement