Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annabelle (The Conjuring spin-off)

Options
  • 29-08-2014 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

"Annabelle"

10/10/14

A film about the possessed doll from "The Conjuring."

Anyone looking forward to this?

Meanwhile The Conjuring 2 is scheduled for release in October 2015.

Comments

Hard not to look forward to any film from the writer of Bloodmonkey, In the Spider's Web and Swamp Devil, and from the director of the cinematic masterpiece that is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Seriously though, the Conjuring was one of the best horrors of the past decade, nothing strikingly original but one with genuine tension and a real nice sense of foreboding so I'm hoping that this will at least be a diverting distraction for Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Saw the trailer for this in the cinema before watching "Deliver Us From Evil" last week. Looks like it'll take off from where The Conjuring left off, as in, me bricking my pants that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

All I can say is the trailer itself scared the crap out of me :o:eek:

Will have to go see this so methinks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    All I can say is the trailer itself scared the crap out of me :o:eek:

Will have to go see this so methinks!

Yep agreed. The trailer made me jump a few times too! Eeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

kinda hoping all of the good parts werent in the trailer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Saw the trailer the other night.

Nope. No way. Nada.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

wowy wrote: »
    Saw the trailer the other night.

Nope. No way. Nada.

Boards meet up it is. Hahaha.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Couldn't agree more Darko. I loved the Conjuring but with that director, and I thought this trailer looks poor. I hope to hear good things about Anabelle as it's off my radar at the moment. Maybe I'm asking too much/have heightened expectations after the Conjuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

The Conjuring was great but we ve had Chucky the possessed doll before, also bride of Chucky and Chucky Versus 'Toy Story'....
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more Darko. I loved the Conjuring but with that director, and I thought this trailer looks poor. I hope to hear good things about Anabelle as it's off my radar at the moment. Maybe I'm asking too much/have heightened expectations after the Conjuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Conjuring was awful. Seriously it had one decent scene and the rest was bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang while ripping off every horror film ever made. Reminds me of the masters quote,

“There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.”
    ― Alfred Hitchcock

• Advertisement

I am also looking forward to the The Conjuring 2. I presume it is the same cast?Thankfully now days they put an effort in to some sequels. Hopefully this will be a good follow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Very like a book I read years ago, kiddie horror stuff probably? Goosebumps or something, can't quite place it but it is a very familiar theme certainly......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That little girl to woman reveal was pretty cool ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Seen this yesterday in Spain, I thought was really good, If you're a fan of Wan's other work, Conjuring, Insidious etc. You'll know what to expect, There's not much outside of the formula but it works well. I'd rate this a lot higher than some his earlier work and the Insidious films.

One of the best scenes is
    The basment devil scene or when it looks like the doll is moving but he is holding it.

Off to see it tonight although creepy dolls give me the , well, the creeps ….

….. they still give me the creeps, facing my fear(!) didn't help, film was ok but slow but didn't follow all of the horror film clichés …. worth watching though I think ….

Has anyone seen both this and Wan's other possessed doll film, Dead Silence? How's it stack up? I really enjoyed the Conjuring but the trailer for this is quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Has anyone seen both this and Wan's other possessed doll film, Dead Silence? How's it stack up? I really enjoyed the Conjuring but the trailer for this is quite poor.

It's a poor effort, the trailer gives away the best bits, I didn't watch it until after I'd seen the movie and it gives away ALL of the major scares.

Also it's derivative to an extreme. If you've seen Child's Play etc you've seen it all before. Cliche after cliche, for instance he throws the doll in the bin when they're moving house, somehow it ends up in one of the boxes they packed...brilliant.

"The Babadook" movie is out in 2 weeks and is getting great reviews, so I'd recommend holding out for that if you have a craving for a horror movie, this is just a cheap cash-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Going to see this tonight. Scares, I have em. We went to see the conjuring last year and it was the most scary thing I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I thought this was absolutely fantastic, scary as **** and an unusually good script for a horror!! 9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Good lord, that was terrifying. I didn't enjoy it at all. I thought the entire time that Evelyn was possessed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Didn't go to see Anabelle, but Dead Silence was hilarious!

Was that supposed to be a horror? Genuinely funny film

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Haunted Angel

I thought the Conjuring was one of the best horror films i'd seen in years so was expecting this to be very good.
    I agree with previous posters that the trailer gives too much away and I was a little disappointed but hey it's still worth watching and a few jumpy bits did put the heart outta me! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The conjuring was really scary! Definitely want to see this tomorrow night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Saw this tonight. Very similar to the Conjuring. Enjoyable, but I wouldn't say hugely terrifying.

However, and a big however at that, there is one scene that I feel is the best scene in recent mainstream horror.
    The elevator/stairs scene, and in particular where the Demon is sitting at the bottom of the stairs looking up at her.

That was particularly scary and one of my favourite scenes in any horror movie. It was too much for a group of girls in front of us who got up and left straight away, not to return. A few people actually left shortly after that scene.

As I said, I enjoyed it. I would definitely rank it above the likes of Sinister, Insidious etc. (I loved Insidious up until the shíte ending). Probably better than The Conjuring overall too.

Is there much that ties Annabelle to The Conjuring, or is it a possessed puppet film James Wan rejiggered into a Conjuring tie-in because it was a success?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Absolutely terrible film. Way too many close ups of a doll where nothing actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

I enjoyed conjuring and thought it was good so I'm gonna go see this to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Not that great, unfortunately it was not very scary, its hard to explain why but nothing really happened in the film, A few doors shutting and some loud noises and that's it, I loved the conjuring but this was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This starts off slow and doesnt get going until after about 45 mins or so. There are some really good scenes in this which makes it worth the watch.
    The part where the child was standing in the next room and then runs towards her morphing into the adult
    As prev said the demon's head on the stairway behind the doll
    The demon in the basement was also brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MJP2608

The Conjuring was awful. Seriously it had one decent scene and the rest was bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang while ripping off every horror film ever made. Reminds me of the masters quote,

“There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.”
    ― Alfred Hitchcock

Yup, felt like I was playing a game of Horror Cliché Bingo watching The Conjuring.
    That was particularly scary and one of my favourite scenes in any horror movie. It was too much for a group of girls in front of us who got up and left straight away, not to return. A few people actually left shortly after that scene.

I left the Dublin Cineworld shortly after that scene, but only because the film was awful.

Advertisement