Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish American Kicker poised to be big star in NFL

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Well that's a surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I read this thinking he was born in Ireland but he's just first generation Irish American.

Surely it is not that rare for a first generation Irish American to play in the NFL?

John Lynch was second generation Irish American, his grandfather was from Ballybunion and isn't Larry Fitzgerald from Connemara?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hazys wrote: »
    I read this thinking he was born in Ireland but he's just first generation Irish American.

Surely it is not that rare for a first generation Irish American to play in the NFL?

John Lynch was second generation Irish American, his grandfather was from Ballybunion and isn't Larry Fitzgerald from Connemara?

As I was saying earlier in the thread, I don't see anything strange in it, especially since Irish born players have played in the nfl on a number of occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I was the one who started this thread and the reason I did wasn't because it was an Irish American player because as has been said, there have probably been a countless number of players with Irish heritage over the years.

The reason I posted was because of the ridiculous article that appeared in the Irish Independent about him. It was so badly written by someone who obviously had no knowledge of the NFL or how team build their rosters. I just found it funny.

Having said all that, since I read about him I'm actually rooting for him and even though it probably is a very long shot, i'd love it if he did make it onto a roster so I've been trying to keep an eye on him as rookie minicamps were coming up.

As I was saying earlier, I'm rooting for this guy to make it onto a roster and here's a more realistic and sensible article than the one that the Independent published from a few weeks back.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2013/07/01/murray-is-hoping-nfl-team-will-take-a-punt-his-on-kicking-talent/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Joey Harrington was a cousin of Padraig Harrington I think....

This guy definitely isn't the first Irish-American player in recent league history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

With a name like Tom Brady you can't be too far away from being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gerrard Cup

Brady was asked about his Irish heritage on st patricks day one year. He replied saying his father would tell you all about it . He said they were from Cavan and Monaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Tom Brady is Irish sure !

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1106787-tom-brady-and-the-top-17-irish-american-athletes-in-sports-history/page/2

The first player in this report Rick Barry :facepalm: -
    Barry’s Irish background is not that detailed, but his family name suggests that he is of Irish descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The most prominent NFL players over the past 20 years or so with Irish ancestry are/were all QBs - Tom Brady, John Elway, Jim Kelly, Ken O'Brien and Rich Gannon.

Elway, Kelly and O'Brien were all part of the QB draft of 1983.

Although all those mentioned so far have Irish names and Irish ancestry, how many of them were ever here, especially before they made it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Although all those mentioned so far have Irish names and Irish ancestry, how many of them were ever here, especially before they made it?

Can i ask why it matters if they visited Ireland?

And why it matters if they visited before they were famous?

This thread got a bit sidetracked from a bloke who spent his Summer's here as a kid and played gaelic football to mentioning anyone with an Irish sounding name in the NFL. Although there are and have been hundreds of Irish Americans who have played in the NFL, i'm just wondering has there been anyone who, for want of a better phrase, is this close to being 'really' Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If you are going down that road, then maybe we should ask why it matters if they're Irish? Seems pertinent to the thread to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

This thread got a bit sidetracked from a bloke who spent his Summer's here as a kid and played gaelic football to mentioning anyone with an Irish sounding name in the NFL. Although there are and have been hundreds of Irish Americans who have played in the NFL, i'm just wondering has there been anyone who, for want of a better phrase, is this close to being 'really' Irish.
    jack is right - the Irish 'diaspora' in the US now numbers anywhere up to 40 million. Of course there are going to be large numbers of NFL players who have some connection to Irish ancestry. Then there are a few - like Brady - who would have direct connections (even if it is through great-grandparents) with Ireland. Jack Charlton built a team partially on people having such ancestry (and a couple who didn't even have it).

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

And after all that. Even if he does make it. Even if he is a starter. He'd still only be special teams :pac:

Good news. It looks like he might make the Bucs roster as they've announced the cut of the guy who was expected to be the kicker.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=tampa-bay-buccaneers&id=5866

Advertisement