Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to factory reset Sony Vaio?

Options
  • 17-09-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I am looking to reset my Sony Vaio Laptop to its original settings out of the box and wipe a lot of crap off it.

Is it possible to do this without a disc? And excuse my ignorance but what is the story with drivers? Will they all need to be installed again or what do I do there?

My knowledge would be basic enough so all help apprecaited. I don't have the exact model number to hand but it is running Windows 7. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

On many Sony models, holding alt + F10 at boot will start the factory restore process.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Jarren wrote: »
    On many Sony models, holding alt + F10 at boot will start the factory restore process.

And would it be ready to go then afterwards? No need to worry about installing drivers or anything again?

Ive seen people talking on the web about reinstalling drivers etc.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Jarren wrote: »

And would it be ready to go then afterwards? No need to worry about installing drivers or anything again?

Ive seen people talking on the web about reinstalling drivers etc.

Thanks.

It will go back to the way it was the first time you booted it. Drivers will be installed but will be out of date, you will also have to install any windows updates released since you bought your vaio, if you wanted to.

I recently reset a vaio for a friend and it took 4+ hours to reinstall the updates
    Also i think the key combo to access the system restore was simply holding down f10 and not alt+f10.

Hijpo wrote: »
    It will go back to the way it was the first time you booted it. Drivers will be installed but will be out of date, you will also have to install any windows updates released since you bought your vaio, if you wanted to.

I recently reset a vaio for a friend and it took 4+ hours to reinstall the updates
    Also i think the key combo to access the system restore was simply holding down f10 and not alt+f10.

Cool, so once I start the process by accessing the menu via F10 it will do it all by itself? And then I assume it prompt me for the updates when I go online for the first time will it?

Cheers for the replies.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »

Cool, so once I start the process by accessing the menu via F10 it will do it all by itself? And then I assume it prompt me for the updates when I go online for the first time will it?

Cheers for the replies.

After releasing f10 it should display a loading bar along the bottom. It will then display 3 columns of options. The one your looking for is in the first column on the left and its the 2nd option down i think. It will then format the c: drive and reinstall windows from the hidden recovery partition on the drive. After that you can set up your wifi again and proceed to download the updates from Windows Update on the start menu.

so in a nutshell yeah it will do all the formating and reinstallation itself. It will also give you the option of backing up your files before it starts because once it starts you cant cancle it. you dont have to back them up if you dont want to.

• Advertisement

After releasing f10 it should display a loading bar along the bottom. It will then display 3 columns of options. The one your looking for is in the first column on the left and its the 2nd option down i think. It will then format the c: drive and reinstall windows from the hidden recovery partition on the drive. After that you can set up your wifi again and proceed to download the updates from Windows Update on the start menu.

so in a nutshell yeah it will do all the formating and reinstallation itself. It will also give you the option of backing up your files before it starts because once it starts you cant cancle it. you dont have to back them up if you dont want to.

Brilliant. Will give it a bash this evening and see how I go. Best have a look around and see if there is anything i need to put on a USB before I start. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

Done and dusted gents. Easy peasy and laptop is flying again.

Cheers for the help, much appreciated.

glad it worked out ok for you

Advertisement