Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk in Wardrobe/En-Suite ?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Design question. So, you have a Master bedroom, you also want a walk in wardrobe and an en-suite. which of the following is best.

1. Have two doors in the room, each one has its own room, simply one is the en-suite and the other is the WW.

2. you have one door only. first is the WW, then you walk straight through that in to the en-suite. so effectively the WW will have a door at either end.

Please can you tell me pros and cons of either layout. I always thought it best to keep them separate, and that moisture could be a problem if one leads to the other. . .

Please help, the Mrs wants option 2:p.

Thanks
    Mr LNB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Either one will work, so its really down to personal taste and lifestyle.

A well vented en-suite shouldn't allow a moisture problem. ( Mechanical vent)

Separate could be better for access, walk directly from bedroom to wc.
    It would also leave more room for clothes in the wardrobe, assuming only one door into it.

Two doors into different rooms, in a small bedroom could make the bedroom seem smaller! So if its a big bedroom 2 doors look fine, if its a small bedroom use 1 door to access both rooms.

Sometimes the "Mrs" is known as "She who must be obeyed!" What price peace and quite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

From a fire safety point of view rooms with rooms must be avoided .

you must be able to open a room door - and out you go onto the stairway , landing or hall and escape . En suites and walk in wardrobes as per your option 1 are ok but already compromise this principle .

Your layout 2 means the en suite become a room in room in room . You have to imagine a smoke filled emergency and that intoxication to begin to appreciate the importance of this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mdinee01

While viewing a house a couple of years ago, I did come across this eaxct scenario with a walk-in-wardrobe, which you walked through to reach the ensuite.
    In my opinion a bad idea as typically WW are untidy, and it's not that nice to walk through potential clutter each time you want to use the ensuite. \otherwise you have to keep the WW tidy all the time. Much better to have a seperate entrance, that you close a door on and have an uninterrupted path to your en-suite. Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

gabrille in desperate house wives has that

but she has no expense spared, wardrobe and jacks are as big as 2 bedrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sinnerboy wrote: »
    From a fire safety point of view rooms with rooms must be avoided .

you must be able to open a room door - and out you go onto the stairway , landing or hall and escape . En suites and walk in wardrobes as per your option 1 are ok but already compromise this principle .

Your layout 2 means the en suite become a room in room in room . You have to imagine a smoke filled emergency and that intoxication to begin to appreciate the importance of this .
    Fair points but either arrangement is not in breach of Part B but every eventuality should be taken into account.

A fire escape/rescue window in the en suite will give piece of mind.

• Advertisement

MrLNB wrote: »
    2. you have one door only. first is the WW, then you walk straight through that in to the en-suite. so effectively the WW will have a door at either end.

Please can you tell me pros and cons of either layout. I always thought it best to keep them separate, and that moisture could be a problem if one leads to the other. . .

Please help, the Mrs wants option 2:p.
    If she wants option 2 then give it to her. As has been said - what price peace :D

I see nothing wrong with this layout. A small risk with moisture but again it has been rightly pointed out that if you fit a good extractor fan then you should eliminate this potential problem.

The big plus in all of this is that it frees up more wall space to allow for bedroom furniture. Instead of 2 doors along a single wall you will only have one. The downside is that it will reduce the storage capacity of the wardrobe but only slightly as you would have to retain a walking/turning area in a walk in wardrobe in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

In addition to all the valid points made above, having a door in the walk in wardrobe through which you enter the bathroom has the additional disadvantage of losing valuable wall space on that wall. The space required by a standard 900mm door equates to 1800mm of hanging rail on 2 levels.

If the w/r is big enough to accommodate all the clothes , shoes, handbags, hats, etc, etc, on two walls then go for option 2.

If your Mrs. is like my Mrs. ..... then you'll need all the wall space you can get !!!

In additon, there's a tendency for people not to shut En Suite doors, which can lead to excess moisture (from steam) building up in the room adjacent to them in turn leading to condensation and mould - not great in a wardrobe situation. Have seen this happen even in situations where there's proper ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Personally I like the en-suite through the wardrobes as it provides a lobby and your not listening to a tap dripping or cistern filling while your lying in bed, not to mention smells:D. There will be compromises either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

2 seperate doors is my preferred option because from a practical point of view she can be spending her three hours getting ready in the WW whilst you are free to nip into the shower last minute and use your five minute getting ready time without any interruption to her. Plus Sinnerboy's fire scenario does add a whole new aspect to it

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I kept them separate as I would worry about the close proximity of the clothes to a moisture source not to mention you tend to get a fine dust created by aerosols... often makes me think those things can't be healthy !

The noise dampening aspect is appealing though, especially when people use the facilities during the wee small hours.... :eek:

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

would ye also consider sliding doors as opposed to hinged doors to maximise the size of your WW and ensuite?
    Anyone who has these - What are the pros and cons of the sliding doors slide back into wall cavity?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

rok wrote: »
    would ye also consider sliding doors as opposed to hinged doors to maximise the size of your WW and ensuite?
    Anyone who has these - What are the pros and cons of the sliding doors slide back into wall cavity?
    I've seen it done and its an excellent idea because you can have mirrorres sliding doors and this has the doubling effect of making the bedroom look bigger

One option to consider would be to have a single door from the bedroom into a small "lobby" with two rooms off of it, straight ahead for the en-suite (easier escape in the event of a fire) and WIW to one side (via sliding door).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

thank you all for the posts,

After reading all the posts, we decided on two separate doors for mainly two reasons,

1, will the WW be tidy, ahe I dont think so.
    2, If you have open shelving in the WW which i plan on having, then it doesnt seem right to be having a hallway between bedroom and en-s as you will create dust on the clothes no? the more movement the more chance of creating dusty clothes

also like the idea of her been in one room while I am in the other :D

LNB

MrLNB wrote: »
    also like the idea of her been in one room while I am in the other :D
    Make sure you log out before leaving the PC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blue star

I've just found this...I'm putting my plan's in next week and don't know whether to have 2separate doors. ...the person above who our in 2doors is your room big? Thanks inadvance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Personally, we went with 1 door as in walk thru the WIW into the en-suite...
    .......very happy with the decision

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

blue star wrote: »
    I've just found this...I'm putting my plan's in next week and don't know whether to have 2separate doors. ...the person above who our in 2doors is your room big? Thanks inadvance

Think you just need to picture how you will live yourself. We're building at the moment and we marked out the area in a garage and walked through it to see how it felt in terms of space and access. What everyone else does shouldn't matter as long as you're comfortable.

...but FWIW we're going with one door. 3 doors in a bedroom to me sounds a bit cluttered but that's a personal thing.
    We're neat enough, so not worried about walking through a messy WW into the en-suite.
    Plus, when finished showering I don't want to have to re-enter the bedroom to get to the wardrobe. Yeah I know, bring my clothes with me to begin with, but that requires forward planning.

Keeping our en-suite door directly across from WW door for ease of access, along a wall. In case of fire, keeping to the wall will get us out provided the missus hasn't set fire to the actual bedroom with a curling tongs. In that case it's out the window, after I've thrown all those nice jumpers and sensible trousers she's bought me on the flames...you know the ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

blue star wrote: »

You don't have to make that decision right now, lodge the plans and you can make internal alterations if needed afterwards. (Assume you mean planning when you say "lodge")

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blue star

thanks folks..

Just had final viewing of plans going the 1 door...so will have wall in wardrobe leading into ensuite...!! seems the best option as im neat freak as it is so mess wont be an issue..!! happy with decision now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement