Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help....

Options
  • 07-07-2006 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

i am hoping to finally buy myself a guitar after all these years of appreciating music it's time tried to play it!!!

Basically i want to know what you guys would suggest? I am hoping to get a nice Semi Acoustic , this will make recording a lot easier when i feel happy enough about doing so.

While i love metal , i also love the acoustic sound and most of the stuff i right myself would be something that do would do well on MTV:Unplugged!!!

Anyway, any advice would be great. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

A lot of variables even in the hollowbody electric world, as well as price variables.
    There are the big jazz guitars, slimlines (think George Thorogood), tele types, Ricky types, and others.

For something that might sound more 'metally' as well as be able to emulate an acoustic tone, I'd probably be interested in something like this
    Schecter C1 Semi with 2 humbuckers and a piezo pickup in it. Pricey, but top quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Hmmm, its hard to answer this with a definitive answer - it really depends on a number of things
    1. Price
    2. Style - do u want to play only metal?
    3. Do u want it for recording or performance or both?

Number 2 is really the most important because a metal guitar needs a sweet heavy tone, and to able to punch out a nice tight distortion sound, but if it is going to be semi-acoustic then this will affect it.

Your best bet, if you want a deadly metal guitar for an ok price is a PRS Semi acoustic:

http://prsguitars.com/showcase/current/hollowone.html
    http://prsguitars.com/showcase/current/hollowtwo.html
    http://prsguitars.com/showcase/current/hollowsp.html

These are brilliant guitars but on the pricey side - depends if you want to spend the money, but you will get an amazing guitar for this that will never let you down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Eh, I seriously doubt anyone in their right mind would go out and buy a PRS as their first guitar.

I think Rustar is a bit more on the mark. Humbuckers are a must for Metal, and piezos are great for a nice acoustic tone. $699 might be a bit steep for a begginer aswell though, so perhaps it might be an idea to get a cheap guitar now to start off with, and worry about semi-acoustic things at a later stage when you're more adept?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Basically its all about finding the sweet spot between something thats very well made and easy to play but will cost a lot , or something thats very cheap but hard to play and sounds crap. We got my neice a nice aria guitar from musician there for her birthday, it wasnt too dear maybe 350 or something but it was decent to play and could be sold easily if she gave up lessons which infact she did :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I'm wondering if Dragon actually meant electro acoustic rather than Semi-Acoustic.

Dragon we need more info!!

1) How much have you got to spend ?
    2) Do you mean an Acoustic guitar that you can plug into a PA or acoustic amp or a Semi-Acoustic which is a semi hollow Electric guitar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Quattroste wrote:
    I'm wondering if Dragon actually meant electro acoustic rather than Semi-Acoustic.

Dragon we need more info!!

1) How much have you got to spend ?
    2) Do you mean an Acoustic guitar that you can plug into a PA or acoustic amp or a Semi-Acoustic which is a semi hollow Electric guitar?

Hey guys, thanks for all the help!

I guess i meant an electro acoustic ( an acoustic that you can plug into a PA etc )

as for how much i have to spend....em, anything tbh. Karl is spot on though, i would keep the cost down as it would be my first guitar, maybe 500eu?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

if you are willing to go the 500 this is a fantastic guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Acoustics shouold *always* be tried before you buy, as individual guitars have individual idiosyncracies that make a huge difference. For 500 you'll pick up a nice Simon and Patrick in Musicmaker, and I can't recommend them highly enough, they're really fabulous guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah thats true i suppose but i have bought a fender acoustic from thomann and had no issues...Impulses are a bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Those PRS's are absoloutly beautiful, what kinda money ? 3 or 4 thousand ?
    TK

• Advertisement
Advertisement