Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat through communal dish

Options
  • 01-09-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Provided your connection to the communal dish is OK the Freesat+ box will work like the Sky+ box. The only thing is the Irish channels aren't available via Freesat, a separate aerial and Saorview receiver/TV will be required.

You won't go wrong with the Humax, it's highly recommended by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Why not chromecast from Filmon, and use its recording facility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

Would it be likely there might be an rte signal combined with the satellite signal on a communal set up set up like this? Maybe worth trying a combiner / diplexer on the business end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Liefelt

Would it be likely there might be an rte signal combined with the satellite signal on a communal set up set up like this? Maybe worth trying a combiner / diplexer on the business end.

If you're only testing for the presence of the terrestrial signal, there's no need for the diplexer: just fit a suitable connector on 1 of the satellite cables & plug it into a Saorview tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

You should be able to switch out the Sky box for the Freesat+ box - attach the two cables and you'll be in business in minutes pausing, playing recording and series linking to your heart's desire with no more bills to Sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Liefelt

I'm not too sure to be honest. I've attached a picture of the box used. It seems to be optic fibre to a box then coax cable from the box to the Sky box. [/QUOTE]

Terrestrial signals (TV, DAB, FM) can be incorporated into the fibre system but, the system was most likely set up only with Sky subs. in mind, so it's unlikely to include terrestrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

+1 for the Humax HDR-1000S. It's a great replacement for a SKY+ sub. I've been using mine a couple of weeks now and don't miss SKY at all. I haven't tried changing the DNS yet, apparently you can change it directly on the box. Check out this thread, there's plenty of info on it. Can I ask are you signed up to a UK alternative DNS provider? This may be a dumbass question:o but is it possible to use a FREE UK DNS service at all? I would love to be able to use the catchup services on this box!

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Tombs

CBeebies SD or HD? The relevant BBC4 (SD or HD) should also be affected if it's a signal problem. A few others too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Tombs

I don't know much about those fibre setups but, one thing I'll ask is how long are the cables between the MDU (unit in your pic. in post #6) & the Humax receiver?

The MDU is intended to replicate the output of an LNB, so there might be a possibility of too much signal if the cables are overly short. Just something to bear in mind if it is a signal problem & you can't see anything else suspect, like damaged/kinked cable or dodgy connections.

Could be put to the test by slotting in an attenuator or using a longer cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Jebb0

BBC News HD is on the same transponder as CBeebies HD, if you want to check it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Jebb0

Well, if your cables & connections between receiver & fibre MDU appear to be in good nick, there probably isn't much you can check yourself, unless for the potential cable length factor mentioned already. Anything upstream of the MDU would be for whoever maintains the system.

Advertisement