Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Dish replacement.

Options
  • 14-05-2014 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

The reception on my sky tv has been bad for a while so climbed up today to see what the story was.

The plastic bracket holding the LNB has split so will need one of them but my dish is in bits with rust so may as well replace it as well.

Any views on this lot http://www.tvtrade.ie/sky-satellilte-dish-and-lnb.html

Any other ideas guys, don't expect Sky would replace it for a new one for free?

They look for €100 call out but because I'm an old customer :rolleyes: might get a reduction?

Are the sky dishes better quality or are they all more or less the same and are they easy to tune as in left a bit right a bit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

"Sky" dishes are rubbish and will only last a few years. Get a proper Inverto or triax dish and a local installer to put it up and save yourself hassle and money in the medium term. The installer will probably supply it if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

You will get a "Sky" dish, bracket and quad lnb for less than €25 (same company has it cheaper on adverts).

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/sky-freesat-satellite-dish-with-quad-lnb-use-for-sky-or-free-tv-fast-delivery/4202495

All of that Sky stuff rusts, thats why it is so cheap. Its easy to install. Set the elevation at around 22/23, point and lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

TV Trade very good for Satelite gear Google them and you can even view their Videos on how to " anything related to the stuff they sell.
    Order to-day and you get it next day, brilliant service.
    I got a Dish ( same one as Sky ) and 4 way LNB + A TRIAX box ,erected same also a Saorview aerial. Dozens of extra channel, All the irish channels with HD also some HD English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

STB wrote: »
    You will get a "Sky" dish, bracket and quad lnb for less than €25 (same company has it cheaper on adverts).

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/sky-freesat-satellite-dish-with-quad-lnb-use-for-sky-or-free-tv-fast-delivery/4202495

All of that Sky stuff rusts, thats why it is so cheap. Its easy to install. Set the elevation at around 22/23, point and lock.

Hi STB

I have easy access to the dish from a flat roof extension and I'm handy enough but how do I set the elevation by eye, do I need a special tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

ring sky and threaten to cancel... = free

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    ring sky and threaten to cancel... = free

Not the first time I've had a chat with them, under pressure they have always done a deal with me but I'm on one at the moment and have had a free engineer visit a year ago to move the dish from the front of the house.

My deal is up in July so if I'm going freesat a nice new dish is on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

nudger wrote: »
    Hi STB

I have easy access to the dish from a flat roof extension and I'm handy enough but how do I set the elevation by eye, do I need a special tool?

Its written on the bracket. You tighten the nut on the bracket.

It is something you could do yourself. I suggest that you stick the new dish on the existing wall bracket, tighten it up slightly to the direction of the other one, connect up the cable to the lnb. Turn on your box and fine tune from their using the signal menu on your box. Then tighten up completely.

sk60fq-3-1500.jpg

Nut nearest the dish in the centre of this picture, but not on the dish.

That looks simple enough, cheers.

Edit: when tuning using the signal menu do you move it a little bit and have other half at the tv and on the phone?

And should strength and quality get better together or which is better to inprove?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

If you're going FTA, I don't see the point in replacing a Sky dish that rusted away with another that will do the same, you'd be in the same situation in a few years. Get a decent aluminium Triax or Inverto installed, you'll get 15+ years out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭ffocused

I had a sky dish for 12 years that gave no trouble, i got it replaced last year when i was getting a multi room box install. When the engineer arrived i asked him if he would replace the dish too as it had a bit of rust on it. It was still working perfectly.
    Maybe i was lucky or the quality has declined over the last 10 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

ffocused wrote: »
    I had a sky dish for 12 years that gave no trouble, i got it replaced last year when i was getting a multi room box install. When the engineer arrived i asked him if he would replace the dish too as it had a bit of rust on it. It was still working perfectly.

Many early sky dishes I say are in far better structural condition , with just surface rusting . Dish quality has declined substantially . Do not be surprised if your new dish only lasts 3-4 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

ffocused wrote: »

The Sky dish installed at my parents back over 14 years ago is still going perfect. There's a little bit of rust around the elevation bracket and the bottom of the LNB arm, but no cause for concern. A mark 3 Sky dish I have from 6 years ago (though has only been outdoors for part of that time) is still going fine though the coating at the elevation bracket rubs off too easily. I believe the current mark 4 dishes now installed these days are a weak bunch - probably wouldn't last very long in coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

The Sky dish installed at my parents back over 14 years ago is still going perfect. There's a little bit of rust around the elevation bracket and the bottom of the LNB arm, but no cause for concern. A mark 3 Sky dish I have from 6 years ago (though has only been outdoors for part of that time) is still going fine though the coating at the elevation bracket rubs off too easily. I believe the current mark 4 dishes now installed these days are a weak bunch - probably wouldn't last very long in coastal areas.

The mark 4 dishes begin to rust after a few weeks in exposed coastal areas. The storms this winter broke a lot of them.I brought about 20 of them to be recycled this week that i replaced sense christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭ffocused

Sucks to be me so!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I have come across lots of this type of cheap dish up around the country.
    One thing for sure they are no way designed to be installed in coastal areas. They are nothing but cheap Rustbin lids.

qttej.jpgtg3tu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Antenna

one of the worst, if not the worst, dishes sold in this country in recent years were dishes sold with Ross satellite receivers (such as: THIS) . After maybe just 2 or 3 years and crumbling rust around 4 bolts the dish itself becomes detached and falls to the ground (hopefully without hitting anyone). Unlike a Sky dish the LNB arm goes under, not through the dish

320158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

"Fortec star" dishes sold by Maplin would be a close second to those Ross dishes for rusting .

Advertisement