Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 29: Žagarėliai

Options
  • 25-07-2014 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Žagarėliai is a traditional Lithuanian dish, that apparently was normally made as a snack for kids, but to me it seems more a snack that you'd have with a cup of tea or coffee.
    My OH is Lithuanian so that’s where I got the inspiration for this dish, and I also can’t take credit for the cooking as she made them.
    Even though they are deep fried, they're a really light snack. When cooked they puff up leaving a crispy outside.

They are super simple to make, with a minimal amount of ingredients, most of which you'd have in the cupboard.

Žagarėliai

INGREDIENTS:
    • 2 Eggs
    • 50g Sour Cream
    • 1tbsp Sugar
    • 230g Plain Four (plus some for rolling out)
    • 0.5 to 1 litre of Sunflower Oil
    • Pinch of Salt
    • Icing Sugar (depending on your taste)

Step 1 – Preparation
    • Gather all your ingredients (not many to gather!)

1r.jpg

Step 2 – Mixing
    • Mix the eggs, sugar, salt and sour cream
    • Sift in the flour
    • Mix until everything is combined, then work the dough with your hands, (bashing it a bit on the counter top until it becomes a bit elastic)
    • Leave it to rest for at least 30mins

2_Collage_r.jpg

Step 3 – Rolling
    • Roll the dough out to about 1mm thick
    • Cut into strips about 25mm (an inch) wide
    • Cut into rectangles on an angle (so essentially a parallelogram/diamond shape)
    • Cut a little slit in the middle of each one
    • This is the only tricky bit. Fold one end into the slit and pull it back on itself to form a ribbon/bow-tie type shape.

3_Collage_r.jpg

Step 4 – Cooking
    • Put oil into pot and heat
    • Depending on the size of your pan, cook them in batches of 5/6 at a time making sure to turn them once the first side becomes golden brown
    • Once cooked place them into paper towel lined bowl and dust them with Icing Sugar.

4_Collage_r.jpg

Enjoy!

5r.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They look fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Hi, they look lovely! How much granulated sugar is added?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Staph wrote: »
    Hi, they look lovely! How much granulated sugar is added?

Whoops! Forgot to list the sugar. :o It's 1 tablespoons.

I also forgot to add a photo of the inside of one once they're cooked.

315991.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Thanks! Think I'll have to give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dimple_smile

Omg first you forget to put the quantity and then you get it wrong.... It's one (1) tablespoon of sugar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tune in for Cooking Club Week 30, where you will learn how to pronounce them :)

They look great, BaZ!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ooh they look nice :) How long would they keep for once you made them?

And can you tell us how to pronounce them? :o

Neyite wrote: »
    Ooh they look nice :) How long would they keep for once you made them?
    Any time I've had them they were gone by the next day so I'm not sure. I'll find out for you.

And can you tell us how to pronounce them? :o
    I'll ask the boss when I get home. I asked when I was putting up the recipe but I didn't have the patience to try and spell it phonetically.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ooh, they look very similar to Danish klejner - if they taste anything like them, they're gorgeous!

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ooh, they look very similar to Danish klejner - if they taste anything like them, they're gorgeous!

Wow, they really do look similar. The ingredients seem to be a little bit different though, no sour cream in the klejner's. Actually, I've always thought the addition of the sour cream seemed odd.

• Advertisement

Shza ga ree-ay lay, is how they're pronounced phonetically. :/ That's why I always refer to them as the "fried Lithuanian things"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

These were lighter than I thought, and quite addictive. Managed to get about 42. They cook quicker than you think.
    Thanks Bazmo.

2014-08-03%2010.41.25_zpsgdfl24bq.jpg

Hmmmm I'm even toying with the idea of making these savoury. Maybe spring onions & crispy bacon bits?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    These were lighter than I thought, and quite addictive. Managed to get about 42. They cook quicker than you think.
    Thanks Bazmo.

2014-08-03%2010.41.25_zpsgdfl24bq.jpg

They look great Mrs Fox, glad you liked them.

Yeah they're actually deceptively light. You'd imagine that they'd be heavy and doughy like doughnuts because they're fried, but not at all, they're really light......and very addictive! I always end up saying, "Just one more!" until there are none left. :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

These really are lovely! These would be lovely being dipped in whipped cream while you are eating them.

These really are lovely! These would be lovely being dipped in whipped cream while you are eating them.

Cool. Glad you liked them. I reckon they'd be lovely with a chocolate sauce too. :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Cool. Glad you liked them. I reckon they'd be lovely with a chocolate sauce too. :)

Oh Jesus, you are right!

Made these again, with nutella dip. My my my. Zagarelicious.
    I only used half the dough though, the other half will be for guests coming over tomorrow.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Made these again, with nutella dip. My my my. Zagarelicious.

Ha! I must remember that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Will give them a try next week and suprise the Lithuanian lads i work with.

• Advertisement

blueshed wrote: »
    Will give them a try next week and suprise the Lithuanian lads i work with.

Are you gonna try and pronounce them too? ;)

Advertisement