Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nematodes - the slug battle

Options
  • 12-05-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

anyone use nematodes? opinions? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Have used nematodes in the past and they're pretty effective for a duration but required re-application.

Last couple of years I've let our pet chickens loose on the garden through the winter when they can't do too much damage, they find nearly all the slugs and beasties and keep things in check while fertilizing as they go.
    So far its just as effective as the nematodes or the pellets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Used it last year and found it good. I was trying to buy some only yesterday on MrMiddleton, but website wasn't secure for CC. Anyone any other suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

I tried everything from the garden centre as those damn snails were everywhere. Some of the buggers even got into the greenhouse. The best thing believe it or not was porridge oats & beer!!!! I left mugs and plates with beer & some died an inebriated death. Then I put a trail of oats around everything they were getting at. Better than the chemicals & pellets I spent a fortune on & safe too :)

Apparently if u have the money or spare copper. Snails don't crawl over copper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

What do the oats do? block them or kill them?

Qwerty? wrote: »
    What do the oats do? block them or kill them?

The greedy things eat them swell up and die!

Have a read of this, great tips!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/archive/science_nature/slug_caffeine_mail.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

copper not worth a curse,nematodes do the job for about 4 wks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alliejane

I have been using beer after getting fed up buying pellets and find it great, I just dig little holes spaced out in the flower bed and borders then pop in small jars level with the ground that I have collected for recycling and half fill them with beer empty them when ever they get full to brim and repeat, I also find loads of ear wigs in the jars so 2 for 1!!

alliejane wrote: »
    I have been using beer after getting fed up buying pellets and find it great, I just dig little holes spaced out in the flower bed and borders then pop in small jars level with the ground that I have collected for recycling and half fill them with beer empty them when ever they get full to brim and repeat, I also find loads of ear wigs in the jars so 2 for 1!!

Yep, beer is great.

I usually use small jars too but I've been doing heaps of preserving so I bought a few of these http://cgi.ebay.ie/Kingfisher-Slug-Traps-Pest-Control-Pack-2-/220765084165?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item33669fda05#ht_665wt_650

They're handy and they look good too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

What about coffee grounds?

bette wrote: »
    What about coffee grounds?

I tried coffee grounds.

Negatives were, they would get washed away too quickly.
    Expensive, unless you can get a cafe to give their leftovers.

PREFER BEER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Copper tape NO!
    Eggshells NO!
    Little black "collars" NO!

Must try these nematodes

Our last garden had a pond and I reckon the frogs did the job for me there

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Where can I get these nematodes? I haven't tried any repellat yet, as have everything under growing tunnel and in plastic house, but a few feckers always get in. Been out with the torch the last few nights and always yielded a few, but they're hard enough to see, the little ones. So was thinking about getting pellets, although wasn't so keen on the idea as have cats (and I woulnd't put it past them to eat them!) I'll try the oats, and the beer, too.

Advertisement