Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandstone sealant/waterproofer

Options
  • 03-06-2011 3:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I've used a product before to seal sandstone. It worked for about a year but then stopped working and actually made matters worse. It also added a gloss to the stone which was unwanted.
    I've heard of a product range (Remmer's I think) which is supposed to be good.
    Looking for feedback on any products which you could recommend, especially if they are not shiny and are long lasting. It would be important that the sealant doesn't affect the natural appearance of the stone.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I've looked at many products claiming this, that and the other. To be honest many affect the stone in an unwanted way, darken, slip, ponding, etc etc

I would always recommend a good power washer as a better investment to protect the natural beauty and integrity of the stone.

Many of these sealants remind me of 'magic polish' or 'snake oil' type products.

The nano based formulations are interesting, expensive but IMO would fall short of getting a recommendation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Thanks for that SB. It's actually for a client and you've supported what I said to her - thanks again. Much cheaper all in all to power wash too. Still, got to keep looking for that magic compound. The client had one quote for a liquid that was going to cost €600 for a 5 gallon drum + labour :eek:.......ah well ;)

Advertisement