Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting garden block walls

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Heres a question that has been bugging me for years. how come in Irish gardens so few people paint their grey block walls around their garden? I always thought to paint your walls would a cheap enough way to bring instant colour to your space. has any one done this to their walls? Im thinking of doing it to mine and was wondering has anyone done it before and encountered any problems such as mold/moss etc growing on the wall afterwards.

Any advice guys?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i always though painted block looks shabby; weathered block looks better than weathered painted block. and provides a better surface for climbing plants to cling to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Heres a question that has been bugging me for years. how come in Irish gardens so few people paint their grey block walls around their garden? I always thought to paint your walls would a cheap enough way to bring instant colour to your space. has any one done this to their walls? Im thinking of doing it to mine and was wondering has anyone done it before and encountered any problems such as mold/moss etc growing on the wall afterwards.

Any advice guys?

Yes, I've done mine - took a lot of paint but it was so worth it.
    Painted mine a creamy white, really brightens the place and any plants look good against it.
    No mold so far, but I gave the walls a good brushing down first.
    I think I just used woodies masonry paint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

I did it too and it transformed the garden. Used Woodies own brand masonry paint, large tub for 50 euro, was more than enough for me. 1 year later and looks perfect so far. Go for it. If you had to touch it up in a few years, would only take a quick thin coat with a roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I did my walls as well with masonry paint, the garden looks great. only issues is that some of the paint is flaking in places. I brushed down the walls vigoursly before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

I also did mine with the woodies own brand paint. Bit of a nightmare and took a lot of paint, but the result was so worth it. I did mine three years ago and still looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Yes I did mine after early cover with ivy that was trouble as got too big/top heavy/fell off and into cracks in wall that had to rebuild wall eventually. Later tried bamboo screen but with high winds hard to keep in place. I had load of leftover vinyl paint from other house jobs and amalgamated lot to give a creamy colour so no great expense.... put first layer on quite dilute. Now a nice backdrop to greenery of garden as it develops in summer months. Easier to do when garden 'dormant' in winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

Any advice guys?

I have often wondered the same thing! I've never lived with a block walled garden, but if I did I'm sure the first thing I would do is paint it, makes such a difference. Go for it!

Advertisement