Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

silly turbo trainer question

Options
  • 08-02-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

would a small nick on the steel roller be enough to cause punctures. it seems to be just on the point of where the tyre would lie. the proof is in the 2 recent flats I've had on two different wheels.

Would laying off the pressure a little have any difference

following on from that, as someone who will use the turbo maybe 4 times a week be better off getting a smart one ? already on trainer road, have the powermeter and have downloaded Zwift, so maybe a classic one would suffice?

any recent recommendations ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Maybe get some emery paper and give it a rub down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I had a lot of punctures on my turbo aswell...(4 or 5 in as many weeks!)
    When i looked at the tubes where they punctured it was always at the same point where the tube is fused together in the factory(if you study the tube closely you will see where it is welded)
    So i reckon it was heat that was causing it as each tube failed at the same pioint...I have been using a turbo specific tyre which stated that it should be inflated to 120PSI... since i reduced it to about 90 I have had no punctures.
    What im saying it maybe the nick in the roller is a coincidence...but be worth rubbing it down.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

You may have had a sharp piece of flint or something embedded in the tyre and it came out, scoring the surface of the turbo. As said above rub the turbo with a bit of emery or some wet and dry until it has taken any sharp edges off it.

I also find that tubes are failing at the seams on me, the conti ones especially. This is a pain as its fairly hard to get a patch to seal right on the seam without putting quite a bit of time into getting the seam flattened out fully

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I suppose it's possible for a bit of steel on the roller to cause a puncture, but there would surely be some evidence on the tyre? I had a problem on my previous turbo where the back wheel was always rubbing against a metal part on the roller, which caused the tyre to slowly disintegrate. It gave off a fierce smell, but I never punctured.

On the subject of smart trainers, if you are on the turbo that much, it might be a good investment. I got a Tacx Vortex a couple of months ago, and it works very well. The only limitation is that it can't simulate really steep climbs-you need to shell out for a Tacx Bushido, or something more expensive to get a proper steep climb feel. Apart from that, it's grand, and definitely gives a more realistic feel than a trainer where you have to manually control resistance. It's perfect for Zwift, where you have lots of undulating roads (on Watopia), the trainer works perfectly with this. You can also use your Garmin to load up a course and have the trainer control resistance (works with the Edge 520, 1000 and 810 I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

sanded the turbo down using my wife's nail file. checked the tyre for flints and anything else and was surprised to pick out a few shards of what looked like the turbo's metal. let the tyre pressure around the 80 psi mark

regardless, thanks for all the suggestions, no puncture on last night's hour effort.

• Advertisement

sanded the turbo down using my wife's nail file. checked the tyre for flints and anything else and was surprised to pick out a few shards of what looked like the turbo's metal. let the tyre pressure around the 80 psi mark

regardless, thanks for all the suggestions, no puncture on last night's hour effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Taxuser1 wrote: »

Jaysus dont tell your wife that!

Jaysus dont tell your wife that!

erah, she'll be alright. She's hard as nails

Advertisement