Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im not sexist...but..

Options
  • 13-04-2014 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

Why is it that, from my own personal and highly subjective observation I hasten to add, most people into alternative medicine, horoscopes, crystals and angels and spiritual hokum, anti vaccine and related cobblers, are female?

(I'll be in hiding for the next day or so.....)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Men are just as credulous about other things though, so I'd say it balances out overall.
    Take a look at the CT forum, mainly male. Psychics forum, mainly female.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Men are just as credulous about other things though, so I'd say it balances out overall.

Perhaps. I cant think of an example though.
    Can you give me an example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Lampshade78

Why do you think it "balances out"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Logic vs Emotion argument?

Similar to conservatives and liberals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

You are right.

Football hooligans are mostly male.

Serial killers are mostly male.

So that evens it out.

• Advertisement

The Logic vs Emotion argument?

Actually yeah. That makes sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Lot of us men wouldn't bother going to a real doctor if our arm was hanging of, not to mind experimenting with some of the the alternative nonsense. :p

marco_polo wrote: »
    Lot of us men wouldn't bother going to a real doctor if our arm was hanging of, not to mind experimenting with some of the the alternative nonsense. :p

That's a different thing though. Yes it is a male trait but its not a belief so much as a refusal to face up to something for fear of the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Why is it that, from my own personal and highly subjective observation I hasten to add, most people into alternative medicine, horoscopes, crystals and angels and spiritual hokum, anti vaccine and related cobblers, are female?

(I'll be in hiding for the next day or so.....)
    It's a fair observation OP. Seems to be a very feminised area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

The seventh son of a seventh son comes to mind, I can think of loads of examples of men who were cuckoo, snake oil salesmen is another, medicine men, witch doctors, tv psychics like Russell Grant, guys that talk to the dead like John whatshisname, paranormal 'experts', Gillian McKeith... :pac:

Ah no, loads of 'em GB if I really put my mind to it, not to mention of course the highest superstitious following of them all has an exclusively male hierarchy, as do many other religions.

Steve Jobs, shunned modern medicine in favour of the alternative stuff, a billionaire CEO of one of the world's leading tech companies, turned out not only was it fruity by name, but fruity by nature!

That reminds me - "Bananas cure AIDS" guy, a world renowned male medical physician, whose name escapes me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Angels- Robbie Williams

Seven Spanish Angels-Willie Nelson & Ray Charles

Angel of Death-Slayer

Angel of Harlem- Some dipshyts

All sung by men (and Bonio)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The seventh son of a seventh son comes to mind, I can think of loads of examples of men who were cuckoo, snake oil salesmen is another, medicine men, witch doctors, tv psychics like Russell Grant, guys that talk to the dead like John whatshisname, paranormal 'experts', Gillian McKeith... :pac:

Ah no, loads of 'em GB if I really put my mind to it, not to mention of course the highest superstitious following of them all has an exclusively male hierarchy, as do many other religions.

Steve Jobs, shunned modern medicine in favour of the alternative stuff, a billionaire CEO of one of the world's leading tech companies, turned out not only was it fruity by name, but fruity by nature!

That reminds me - "Bananas cure AIDS" guy, a world renowned male medical physician, whose name escapes me.

Dr Banana ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Almost all religious leaders are male. More than makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The seventh son of a seventh son comes to mind, I can think of loads of examples of men who were cuckoo, snake oil salesmen is another, medicine men, witch doctors, tv psychics like Russell Grant, guys that talk to the dead like John whatshisname, paranormal 'experts',

. But these guys are the sellers of the bullcrap. The question is, who is more likely to buy it, male or female?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

osarusan wrote: »
    . But these guys are the sellers of the bullcrap. The question is, who is more likely to buy it, male or female?

I'd honestly have to say 50/50 in that case. I mean, there's a whole cultural and social aspect to it too, because of the sheer variety of stuff we in the western world would consider mumbo jumbo, but I remember reading years ago about some tribe on some island that the men carried coke bottles with them into war because they believed it made them impenetrable to bullets! You'd imagine after the first guy fell that they might have reconsidered that strategy, but no!

Had to be some powerful voodoo going on there!

(I read it in QUEST magazine about 20 years back, but I'll see if I can find a source online)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Men read it when they think no-one is looking, then deny all if called on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Perhaps. I cant think of an example though.
    Can you give me an example?
    Like I said, conspiracy theories are a male domain mostly.

The genuine die-hard nutters that I know who are deep into paranormal/alternative stuff are male. Lots of women dabble and discard, but my experience of total devotees would be mostly male. It's not much of a sample though, and proves nothing. Women do the horoscope thing more, but they seem to be peddled by men mostly.

Only in my experience again, by far the biggest believers and arguers of things like Alien Abduction and Holocaust denial, along with many colorful and unlikely theories about the JFK assassination or 9/11, are male.

Same kind of delusion (trenchant belief of the highly improbable in the face of overwhelming evidence), different focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do you try to excuse yourself OP? Are you inferring that because some women believe in paranormal, women in general are stupid?

Many/most sects have equal gender balance afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

In my experience men and women, for whatever reasons, are drawn to slightly different craziness in slightly different amounts...
    Years ago my mam got very new agey and I was exposed to a broad range of her friends.
    Amongst them there was a consensus that men liked things like numerology and geomancy and so on, while the women preferred energy whatsit and tarot cards...

I think more women dabble as a conversational hobby sort of thing to chat about, and fewer guys get involved but then more of those guys really take it to heart and run with it.

Why do more women look into these things?
    One might simply ask, why do more women go to the doctor while men will pretend they are fine for months before caving and going?
    If more women go to flimflam people then they go not because women are more likely to believe it but simply because more women actively seek help for problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Almost all religious leaders are male. More than makes up for it.

that implies that almost all religious leaders believe what they preach. which isn't the case

Advertisement