Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your least favourite beer

• 05-04-2014 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

People complain about fecking Bud and what have you but I have never had anything quite as bad as the stuff I had the other day.

And that stuff does be...

Cisk Lemon

Honest to the good lord I only managed to take a few gulps of it before i could no longer fool myself into thinking I was drinking anything other than piss mixed with lemon scented toilet cleaner. Seriously disgusting stuff. I got a few other people to try it and they thought the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Amstel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Some of those craft beers are absolute piss.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was going to say Heineken, but then I remembered Affligem Blond (which, coincidentally, Heineken now own. Hmmm....)

Can't drink 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Tennents - truly horrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Almost all of it. I love the cider, I do. (Runs for cover)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

TBH, they all taste the same after you've had a few.

The only problems I find are twofold.

1. Getting Moar.

2. The Hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Bud and low fat Bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Out of the most famous beers, it has to be Budweiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

For one of the most sold beers, I think Carlsberg is muck, don't get the appeal at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Coors Light. Truly awful.

I also hated Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12. This was the beer that made me realise that I know nothing about beer, or that everyone else knows nothing about beer, because it's bloody rotten. The problem lies with me in fairness, but my god it was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Amstel

Haven't tried too many beers then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Tennants - truly horrid

18million (I'm not good with numbers) Scottish disagreeing with you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And the award for the Vaguest Answer In an After Hours Thread goes to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That narrows it down to about 1,000,000 breweries worldwide. Any in particular?

The one in the black bottle. Rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

John Smith's absolutely rotten stuff.

/haunches shoulders and pushes out chest.

OK, I'm gonna say it.

Guinness

Yeah it's nice to drink, but the unpleasant saliva, farts and black poo the next day cancels out the creamy goodness.

That's entirely (IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Carling tastes like cat piss....gone off cat piss at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I concur, also one of very few I couldnt finish the tin. I left 3 tins of it sitting on a park bench for some unfortunate soul who is desperate enough to drink it

I have never had the pleasure of drinking cats urine. But if it's better than carling, I'm up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

/haunches shoulders and pushes out chest.

OK, I'm gonna say it.

Guinness

Yeah it's nice to drink, but the unpleasant saliva, farts and black poo the next day cancels out the creamy goodness.

That's entirely (IMO)

Get out. Those side affects are all part of the charm of the stuff.:D

Worst beer out there is Tuborg. Truly horrible stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

^^ This /thread

(Bit harsh on gone off cat piss though I thought)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Double Dutch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

I reckon he means that sitting there chin stoking and marvelling on some beer you picked from a menu that costs a few quid more than a pint of Heineken is really not worth it and is the height of pretentiousness.

Whenever I find myself in one of these places I try to go for a beer whose description most closely resembles a big name beer that I like. I don't like the places. Too many hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Hoegarrden or however it's spelled, eww. And Carling, vile stuff!

Whenever I find myself in one of these places I try to go for a beer whose description most closely resembles a big name beer that I like. I don't like the places. Too many hipsters.

So what, you were drinking beer before it was cool? :cool:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Ace

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eight-Ace/206102586115033

At 1.49 for 8 cans its got to be muck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

An File wrote: »
    So what, you were drinking beer before it was cool? :cool:

:pac:

I just can't stand beer hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Budweiser, Carlsberg, Guinness and there was a craft red ale that was completely vile. Not sure which is the worst out of the lot.

• Advertisement

Not fussed on carlsberg special brew/Tennants super et all. They remind me in a beer you have been drinking all night in a pub, that some smart ass tips a whisky /vodka into when you go to the jacks (insert other spirit) thinking he's cool.

Vile shıte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I just can't stand beer hipsters.

Not a fan of them either but dont let that get in your way of trying new things. You might have to try 10 or 20 of them before you get something you like but it will be worth it when you do find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I've never really got the appeal of cask ale. Tastes nearly flat by the second time you pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Harp

I've never really got the appeal of cask ale. Tastes nearly flat by the second time you pick it up.

What about $10 shakes? :pac:

I reckon he means that sitting there chin stoking and marvelling on some beer you picked from a menu that costs a few quid more than a pint of Heineken is really not worth it and is the height of pretentiousness.

There's a real nasty trend on Boards right now, and perhaps in broader society, whereby anyone that expresses a deep interest in something is labelled a hipster. Don't get me wrong, hipsters do exist. You'll know them by their asymmetrical haircuts and emaciated bodies. But please allow people to dig beneath the surface and try something new, whether it's food & drink, music, cinema or whatever. We're not all hipsters. I'm certainly not a hipster. I'm an average guy from the Midlands that looks and sounds like an average guy from the Midlands. I just don't like **** beer. I also live on fcuk all money, so I'd rather spend €6.50 on a beer that tastes nice than waste €4.50 on one that doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I bought something called "O Hara's red Ale" (or something similar, definitely O Hara) when I was back in Ireland. I had high hopes, but it was really rank stuff.

osarusan wrote: »
    I bought something called "O Hara's red Ale" (or something similar, definitely O Hara) when I was back in Ireland. I had high hopes, but it was really rank stuff.

That's actually one of my favourites. :o

I don't like it out of the bottle though. Love it on draught.

I see you're in Tokyo. What would you drink over there? Is there any local stuff or is it the normal big names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Two words for you.....orangi boom. F**k me its bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

ThirdMan wrote: »
    That's actually one of my favourites. :o

I don't like it out of the bottle though. Love it on draught.

I see you're in Tokyo. What would you drink over there? Is there any local stuff or is it the normal big names?
    Japanese have some strict brewing laws regarding what consititutes real beer. In Japan beer is taxed on malt content, so there are a huge number of varieties of 'almost beer' called happoshu. They are all pretty vile. Then the same companies also produce real beer, which is inoffensive light lager mainly. These companies are Kirin, Suntory, Sapporu, Ebisu, Asahi. Ebisu would have the best reputation, but there isn't much between them.

There are smaller breweries which produce a more expensive product, like Taisetsu Ji, Hitachino Nest, YonaYona ale, and one quite good one from Karuizawa, but like most other places, the big companies have the majority of the market.

here are some happoshu: http://www.beermonsters.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/hap5.jpg

If you look at the bottom of the cans, you can see the word 'liqueur' in Japanese (リキュール). So,despite whatever else it might say on the can, it's officially not a beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Two words for you.....orangi boom. F**k me its bad.
    agree 100% and Hackenberg is even worse !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Three way tie between Harp, Carlsberg and Heineken, all vile and I will drink anything from Bavaria to craft beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I haven't found a beer I liked yet. I wish I could like the taste but it just makes me want to hurl.

There's a real nasty trend on Boards right now, and perhaps in broader society, whereby anyone that expresses a deep interest in something is labelled a hipster. Don't get me wrong, hipsters do exist. You'll know them by their asymmetrical haircuts and emaciated bodies. But please allow people to dig beneath the surface and try something new, whether it's food & drink, music, cinema or whatever. We're not all hipsters. I'm certainly not a hipster. I'm an average guy from the Midlands that looks and sounds like an average guy from the Midlands. I just don't like **** beer. I also live on fcuk all money, so I'd rather spend €6.50 on a beer that tastes nice than waste €4.50 on one that doesn't.
    Yes, exactly this. It's a word that gets thrown around so flippantly in Ireland that it's lost all meaning. Seems if you're at all enthusiastic or have a particular taste in something you're a hipster. It's a bit silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

God I love it, on tap it's beautiful, goes down like Chinatown LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

If there's one thing worse than a hipster it's an enlightened hipster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Tried this one particular beer at oxegen about 7 years ago, think it was called "Triple circle" or some such. The only thing I remember is the green/orange/gold can... had one mouthful and almost threw up... hands down the worst stuff I've tasted.

Also near the top of the list would be Harp.

Not even nice up North, where it's considered lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Bavaria 8.6 back in the day. Pretty sure they got the next day leftover pints from rural function rooms and tinned them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was in a pub in Birmingham several years ago with my brothers and a few extended family members
    All they(seemed to) serve was Carling and some cider. After the first round, I said who's having another. In the first time in several generations, everyone said "No".
    Carling.... so bad it turns you tea-total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Corona or Tennents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Was in a pub in Birmingham several years ago with my brothers and a few extended family members
    All they(seemed to) serve was Carling and some cider. After the first round, I said who's having another. In the first time in several generations, everyone said "No".
    Carling.... so bad it turns you tea-total.

Strongbow was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Bud is pisswater. Just tastes like a weak chemical soup. However, Carlsberg Special Brew truly is the devil's piss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement