Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RON of petrol in ireland

Options
  • 23-07-2009 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

since the takeover of shell by topaz, we no longer have the v power. ive heard that the maxol E5 is 99 RON. can anyone confirm this?

the texaco with added techron? whats all that about? what does it do or add?

what other options is there out there for us though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

garyegt wrote: »
    since the takeover of shell by topaz, we no longer have the v power. ive heard that the maxol E5 is 99 RON. can anyone confirm this?

the texaco with added techron? whats all that about? what does it do or add?

what other options is there out there for us though?

V-Power was only ever 95 octane anyway, the only higher octane fuel we have in Ireland is maxol E5, it's 99 octane according to maxol.

AFAIK techton is just a cleaning additive like v-power was so won't increase the octane of the fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

you can always add a bottle of octane booster to your tank, for the times you need it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Neilw wrote: »
    V-Power was only ever 95 octane anyway, the only higher octane fuel we have in Ireland is maxol E5, it's 99 octane according to maxol.

AFAIK techton is just a cleaning additive like v-power was so won't increase the octane of the fuel.

+1

V-Power was only 98 ron in the UK and in mainland europe.
    it was always 95 ron here due to the increased tax to the supplier on the higher octane rating.

OP, i hope you kept a good eye on the detenation of your car while you were running it on V-Power thinking it was higher ron.

what make and model is it?

im sure if it caused any problems, they would of arose by now, so your more than likely ok.
    robtri wrote: »
    you can always add a bottle of octane booster to your tank, for the times you need it

im not too pleased on these, i dont really know or believe they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

kceire wrote: »

im not too pleased on these, i dont really know or believe they work.

Never used them myself, but have heard they work ok....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

robtri wrote: »
    Never used them myself, but have heard they work ok....

ive tried them all tbh, millners, NOS, the cheaper stuff from the motor factors and they have never produced a noticeable difference.

i didnt use them for long as i got the cars mapped for 95 ron as i just thought it was safer and i didnt have to buy a new bottle of booster for every fill up!

would like to see dyno runs side by side to see if theres any difference. although it might not be about any extra power, if it reduces the det and knock effect then there worthwhile.

might be usefull haveing a knocklink in the car to monitor, especially if is a subaru.

• Advertisement
Advertisement