Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katusha escape team suspension

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

godtabh wrote: »

Paolini said the coke was as result of his sleeping pills addiction which was bike related. Katusha should be gone

I really don't know how the mental gymnastics work that make that somehow not performance enhancing.

Can't say I'm surprised though. Katusha should be long gone but it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Ah here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/katusha-escape-team-suspension-in-the-wake-of-doping-cases/

So, the reasoning seems to be, that because the use of cocaine was recreational and not for performance enhancing, the ban was not justified.
    It doesn't seem, to me at least, to be a big step to to say that it's OK for riders to take recreational drugs without sanction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

He said himself he took coke to keep himself awake - how is that not a performance enhancement? I really don't see how taking sleeping pills excuses it. It's like cancelling out taking EPO by not training :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eamonnator wrote: »
    It doesn't seem, to me at least, to be a big step to to say that it's OK for riders to take recreational drugs without sanction.
    This particular decision relates to the team rather than individual. Does Paolini not still face further sanction at a personal level?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I would have found it very harsh if Katusha had been suspended. The regulations state:
    The suspension shall be lifted if the Team establishes that
    a) at least one anti-doping rule violation has no reasonable prospect of being
    upheld, or
    b) at least one Rider bears No Fault or Negligence for the anti-doping rule
    violation asserted, or
    c) at least one anti-doping rule violation was committed by the Rider with no
    involvement of any Team member or staff and that the Team applied all
    due diligence and took all measures that could reasonably be expected in
    order to avoid the commission of anti-doping rule violations.

It's a big stretch to imagine the team being in any way involved with or condoning Paolini taking cocaine in this fashion.

I wouldn't even see it as performance enhancing, more the consequence of personal/addiction problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Maybe the UCI are pushing coke and hookers as part of the world tour reform??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RobFowl wrote: »
    Maybe the UCI are pushing coke and hookers as part of the world tour reform??

I recall Laurent Fignon basically saying a race organiser laid on cocaine at a race back in the day, also was told that another race paid for hookers for the commisaires as part of the hospitality.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would have found it very harsh if Katusha had been suspended. The regulations state:

It's a big stretch to imagine the team being in any way involved with or condoning Paolini taking cocaine in this fashion.

I wouldn't even see it as performance enhancing, more the consequence of personal/addiction problems.

What about his sleeping pill addiction? The team must have know about that.

godtabh wrote: »
    What about his sleeping pill addiction? The team must have know about that.

They did but as I read it they tried to help him address it and ultimately refused to prescribe them for him

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    I recall Laurent Fignon basically saying a race organiser laid on cocaine at a race back in the day, also was told that another race paid for hookers for the commisaires as part of the hospitality.....

Just finished his book. Specifically said it happened at tour of Colombia and some other race

Advertisement