Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Vivoactive

• 08-02-2016 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

I'm unsure if this is the best place to post but I'm really keen to buy the Garmin Vivoactive and wonder does anyone here have any experience using it?

I'm running a marathon in the coming months, doing a big city triathlon in August, picking up my first road bike this week while I play golf every weekend too. So this watch would covers all the bases so to speak.

After April the running shoes will be hung up so it will mainly be cycling and golf from there. From what I gather this is a fairly basic gps watch, no heart rate monitor, but given its garmin made it must be of a decent standard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

After April the running shoes will be hung up so it will mainly be cycling and golf from there. From what I gather this is a fairly basic gps watch, no heart rate monitor, but given its garmin made it must be of a decent standard?
    I'd try dcrainmaker for a review - the best assessment of watches/ computers.

I was looking at vivoactive before Christmas as I wanted a watch for pool swims. The only real insight I have is that it didn't seem to have the swim functionality of the Garmin swim, or the 920xt or fenix3. I already have a 310xt, so the pool swimming was what I was really looking for. (I went with the Garmin Swim)

So it probably doesn't have the full functionality of the top end multi sport watches (which don't tend to have the full functionality of the sport specific computers/ watches), but whether you want or need that is up to you. My impression was it was aimed more as a smart watch/ fitness tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

I've had Vivoactive for some months now. I'm using it for casual cycling and running and so far I've been happy with it.

Depending on chosen activity you get slightly different sets of data.

You can flip through data screens and for running they show:
    1.) Total distance, time and pace
    2.) Lap distance, lap time and lap pace
    3.) Heart rate, HR zone and avg. HR

Cycling screens show:
    1.) Total distance, time and speed
    2.) Lap distance, lap time and avg. speed
    3.) Heart rate, HR zone and avg. HR

You can customize the content of the screens or get new data screens by downloading different apps from Garmin store.

You can also pair it with your smartphone and automatically upload stuff to Garmin connect, Strava etc. and also receive push notifications for new emails, whatsapp messages, SMS's, etc. and control music, answer calls and so on. I actually use it as everyday watch for most of the days because of these smartwatch features. And yes, it works as HRM as well. Just get the bundle with HR strap if you don't already have one.

Few things that I've noticed:
    - Battery lasted about 6 hours with GPS on when strapped to handlebars in cold, near zero January bike ride so on super epic riding days you might run out of juice
    - If you don't use GPS you'll get about week with one charge
    - Watch loses connection to phone sometimes mysteriously and requires to a bit of fiddle to reconnect
    - Screen is a bit too small to be easily readable when strapped to handlebars or when moving fast
    - Pretty decent looking, light and comfortable to wear

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Two points to reply to previous post...

I never use the GPS and easily get 2 weeks between charges (very frequent notifications all day long).

If its dropping your phone its likely caused by the phone. If its not on the garmin compatible list there is no guarantee it will work properly (they had trouble with Motorolas for a long time for example... Not sure if resolved)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Two points to reply to previous post...

I never use the GPS and easily get 2 weeks between charges (very frequent notifications all day long).

If its dropping your phone its likely caused by the phone. If its not on the garmin compatible list there is no guarantee it will work properly (they had trouble with Motorolas for a long time for example... Not sure if resolved)

Advertisement