Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Level Too High - What?

• 04-03-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Any help or comments appreciated.

Short and sweet, got timing chain work done on 520d, and also pointed out to the mechanic that the oil level was reading as high (on the sensor and dipstick, I had to drain a good bit)

Mechanic said both problems were inter-related, and we also replaced the sensor.

So here I am post this work, and only 300+ miles down the road.... and oil is reading too high on the idrive... haven't checked dipstick...

Is this normal? Does it take a while to bed in or anything?

Mechanic is reputable indy in Dublin... I'll give him a buzz in the morning to ask of course... but I'm perplexed...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

Is the car loosing coolant aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

myshirt wrote: »
    Any help or comments appreciated.

Short and sweet, got timing chain work done on 520d, and also pointed out to the mechanic that the oil level was reading as high (on the sensor and dipstick, I had to drain a good bit)

Mechanic said both problems were inter-related, and we also replaced the sensor.

So here I am post this work, and only 300+ miles down the road.... and oil is reading too high on the idrive... haven't checked dipstick...

Is this normal? Does it take a while to bed in or anything?

Mechanic is reputable indy in Dublin... I'll give him a buzz in the morning to ask of course... but I'm perplexed...

If you have a dipstick, use it and if it confirms that the oil level is in fact rising workout you having added any oil, well you have a problem.
    On these, I think I remember that is often down to failed dpf regeneration where the car will have been putting in extra diesel for the regen only for it to find its easy to the sump.
    That was the theory my friend got from his dealer and new dpf cured his issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

scrap_man wrote: »
    Is the car loosing coolant aswell?

No. No warning for that.

I did lose coolant 10k+ ago, done a pressure test, and all fine since. In saying that though, this lad did replace the coolant as part of the work he done... but maybe that's normal practice is it...

mickdw wrote: »

Don't fancy shelling out for a new dpf!

I haven't a clue though... I basically explained the issue to yerman as best I could and left it to him as the professional... thought when I picked it up it'd either be sorted or he'd be telling me what's needed to sort it, or something like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I thought the E60 doesn't have a dipstick?

• Advertisement

Older ones don't. Mine does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Check visually with the dip stick on level ground first. If visual OK then sensor /cablin is iffy. If level is too high then you will need to find where the extra fluid volume is coming from fuel or water being the two obvious sources

Sensor just replaced... and just out of the mechanics after oil too high complaint + timing chain complaint... so I'm scratching my head... thought I was ok... I felt a lot better in myself picking her up after the stress this timing chain caused... at least reputable indy had looked at car, sorted my issues out... that was my thinking... now back to square one

No end to problems with this car lads, it's unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

If you have a dipstick, use it and if it confirms that the oil level is in fact rising workout you having added any oil, well you have a problem.
    On these, I think I remember that is often down to failed dpf regeneration where the car will have been putting in extra diesel for the regen only for it to find its easy to the sump.

Bang on the button I'd say.

DPF probelms
    Don't fancy shelling out for a new dpf!

I haven't a clue though... I basically explained the issue to yerman as best I could and left it to him as the professional... thought when I picked it up it'd either be sorted or he'd be telling me what's needed to sort it, or something like that..

Get it removed and mapped to suit.
    Your exhaust will blacken but the car will ruin better.

2006 E60 M47 engine has one.

Thanks for reply Vectra.

The car is driving grand, it is not sluggish or anything. No dpf warnings, and nothing showed up on diagnostic report. Only 300 miles on it since in with the complaint... so I am perplexed... this guy is a reputable indy, he wouldn't give the car back to me with problem unresolved would he..

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply Vectra.

The car is driving grand, it is not sluggish or anything. No dpf warnings, and nothing showed up on diagnostic report. Only 300 miles on it since in with the complaint... so I am perplexed... this guy is a reputable indy, he wouldn't give the car back to me with problem unresolved would he..

Possibly if he wrongly diagnosed the initial problem.

vectra wrote: »
    Possibly if he wrongly diagnosed the initial problem.

I'll give him a buzz in the morning anyway. I assume some sort of a pressure test was done, or whatever you do to investigate the problem. He done the chain for me, and all good from what I know so far.

Can't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to sort out the problem, so it just is hitting me hard this afternoon that the idrive is showing up overfilled. When I left it in with the complaint, and picked it up afterwards aswell, I was relieved. Cos I am not a mechanic. This guy is. And in paying him, he'd sort it or advise me or something. That was the thinking. Drove off and felt better. And then wham, 300 miles later, she's flagging as overfilled.

Is there anything else that can cause this? What sort of questions or things do I need to be doing with this chap in the morning when I call?

I'll give him a buzz in the morning anyway. I assume some sort of a pressure test was done, or whatever you do to investigate the problem. He done the chain for me, and all good from what I know so far.

Can't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to sort out the problem, so it just is hitting me hard this afternoon that the idrive is showing up overfilled. When I left it in with the complaint, and picked it up afterwards aswell, I was relieved. Cos I am not a mechanic. This guy is. And in paying him, he'd sort it or advise me or something. That was the thinking. Drove off and felt better. And then wham, 300 miles later, she's flagging as overfilled.

Is there anything else that can cause this? What sort of questions or things do I need to be doing with this chap in the morning when I call?

Best thing is a dipstick check. If it is too high now and was fine when you collected it, the only thing I am aware of is a dpf issue.

Best thing is a dipstick check. If it is too high now and was fine when you collected it, the only thing I am aware of is a dpf issue.

Any idea of a cost to sort that? Would draining off some oil and a forced re-gen do it? Or do you have to replace / refurbish? The car is driven like a diesel should be, so it is a complete balls if the dpf is causing it.

In saying that though, I don't fancy a new fuel pump even more, particularly when the engine has already been hoisted out for repair work and the chain driving it replaced.

Any idea of a cost to sort that? Would draining off some oil and a forced re-gen do it? Or do you have to replace / refurbish? The car is driven like a diesel should be, so it is a complete balls if the dpf is causing it.

In saying that though, I don't fancy a new fuel pump even more, particularly when the engine has already been hoisted out for repair work and the chain driving it replaced.

Driven as it should be??
    I assume you mean driving it on and not toddling about?

Draining off some oil is not the answer as explained above, There is most likely some diesel now gone into your oil which would ( if it is this ) wreck your engine.
    It is best get it back to the mechanic again to check it out.

Not sure about up your part of the woods but a dpf delete/egr delete/remap on that car is around 250 euro here.

I'll live with €250 if it'll put it to bed. Best get it confirmed first that it is the source of my problem.

I am basically talking another €100+ for oil and filter after only 300 miles so? Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Jaysus I thought mazda diesels had been completely condemned on here due to piddling diesel into the sump. BMW diesels still mostly awesome despite the same issue?

Jaysus I thought mazda diesels had been completely condemned on here due to piddling diesel into the sump. BMW diesels still mostly awesome despite the same issue?

They were never awesome :p, I'd say the last few good diesels they made were the older sixes, the 2.5 and 3.0 lumps found in the E38/E39/E46 and even those had their share of issues.

They were never awesome :p, I'd say the last few good diesels they made were the older sixes, the 2.5 and 3.0 lumps found in the E38/E39/E46 and even those had their share of issues.

The M47 is a grand engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

How does the diesel get into the oil? I thought a DPF regen injected diesel into the exhaust.
    I'm not doubting you btw, just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Nino Brown wrote: »
    How does the diesel get into the oil? I thought a DPF regen injected diesel into the exhaust.
    I'm not doubting you btw, just curious.

Some yokes do DPF regen by injecting extra fuel late in the cycle to jack up the exhaust temperature. I don't think this would lead to diesel in the oil, though. If there is diesel in the oil it's more likely to be due to fuel-pump and/or injector seals.

Too little cylinders though :pac:

For one of their more modern engines though I agree, far, far better than the N47 which followed.

Rang yerman, he said you can get different readings for a bit, but the car is fine, let it bed in.

Still called out to him though... after a good drive to see would it change... think I'm now classed as a pain in the hole.

So he said give it another 1,000 miles or so and come back to him if it's not gone. Said I should check dipstick in same place each time I check it if I'm worried (i.e. check it in my driveway).

I haven't a clue what to do but follow his advice, so motor on I suppose... thanks for help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Except when the breather filter gets blocked and starves the turbo of oil or when the engine $hits itself after ingesting a swirl flap. :D

I know these things are easy enough to prevent but average joe may not be aware of these problems until it's too late.

Advertisement