Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S2 packs in 13 months into 2 year contract

Options
  • 18-02-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

My Samsung Galaxy S2 decided to pack in last night.
    No idea why... it literally died in my pocket and would not take a charge.
    I tried the AC charger, PC lead, reseated the battery... nothing!
    Brought it into a 3 shop and they're telling me it's only warranted for 12 months but it's up to 3 to decide if they pay for the repair or I do.
    This really f*#kin annoys me!
    How on earth can you sell a phone to a consumer as part of a 2 year contract and not honour a warranty to 2 years also??
    I will add, this phone was kept in perfect condition. Nothing installed, wasn't dropped or got wet... it simply just died conveniently after 13 months.

Anyway, the phone has been sent to 3 so we'll see what the outcome is.
    I see myself having a really big argument with 3 on this!!
    From a quick read on the web, I can see that I'm not alone but also am covered legally by EU law. Hopefully it shouldn't come to this...
    anyone else experience such annoyance??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

kormak wrote: »
    My Samsung Galaxy S2 decided to pack in last night.
    No idea why... it literally died in my pocket and would not take a charge.
    I tried the AC charger, PC lead, reseated the battery... nothing!
    Brought it into a 3 shop and they're telling me it's only warranted for 12 months but it's up to 3 to decide if they pay for the repair or I do.
    This really f*#kin annoys me!
    How on earth can you sell a phone to a consumer as part of a 2 year contract and not honour a warranty to 2 years also??
    I will add, this phone was kept in perfect condition. Nothing installed, wasn't dropped or got wet... it simply just died conveniently after 13 months.

Anyway, the phone has been sent to 3 so we'll see what the outcome is.
    I see myself having a really big argument with 3 on this!!
    From a quick read on the web, I can see that I'm not alone but also am covered legally by EU law. Hopefully it shouldn't come to this...
    anyone else experience such annoyance??

Eh? I'm 99% sure that all Samsung products have a two year warranty.

Its usually one year with the store, and the second year with the manufacturer. Can you get a copy of the receipt and bring the phone to Fonemenders?

That or contact Samsung Ireland to clarify it. I have a feeling the 3 guy had one clue what he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I also understand that it's a 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Ah great! no your one in the 3 store explicitly told me 1 year.
    Should I contact 3 direct now?
    I've already handed the phone over...

Ah great! no your one in the 3 store explicitly told me 1 year.
    Should I contact 3 direct now?
    I've already handed the phone over...

I'd pop into the 3 store and say it to them, after contacting Samsung to make sure.

Do you still have your receipt?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'd pop into the 3 store and say it to them, after contacting Samsung to make sure.

Do you still have your receipt?

receipt for handing over the phone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭MiamiMice

2 Year warranty with Samsung. Get a proof of purchase from 3 and either bring it into Fonemenders or contact Samsung - https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobileIreland

Contacted the 3 store again and the guy was like "fair enough, if it's covered by Samsung for 2 years then you're grand!"
    No real explaination as to why I was handed t&c's stating 1 year warranty or advised by of the same by a store rep. Apparently that's what is generally handed to customers for most phone models! (I'm not sure how this is so, considering the EU directive)
    Phone is being sent to fonemenders and should not take any more than 5 working days.
    Any experience with this crowd?
    Hopefully this will be a less painful exercise than once envisaged! :eek:

Contacted the 3 store again and the guy was like "fair enough, if it's covered by Samsung for 2 years then you're grand!"
    No real explaination as to why I was handed t&c's stating 1 year warranty or advised by of the same by a store rep. Apparently that's what is generally handed to customers for most phone models! (I'm not sure how this is so, considering the EU directive)
    Phone is being sent to fonemenders and should not take any more than 5 working days.
    Any experience with this crowd?
    Hopefully this will be a less painful exercise than once envisaged! :eek:

Thought as much.

All electronics have a two year warranty (except Apple who only give one year as they call it AppleCare).

I've dealt with Fonemenders a lot through work and have never had a problem with them. They see very much by the book, which is why you'll see the odd person complain about them.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Thought as much.

All electronics have a two year warranty (except Apple who only give one year as they call it AppleCare).

I've dealt with Fonemenders a lot through work and have never had a problem with them. They see very much by the book, which is why you'll see the odd person complain about them.

I don't mind, as long as they fix my phone for free.
    Some of threads on here wouldn't inspire you, so we'll just have to wiat and see. thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Same happened to my S2 - brought it into fonemenders. They had to send it to Samsung but it came back fixed after a week.

• Advertisement

just an update on this.
    fonemenders were unable to repair it, so they gave me a brand new samsung galaxy s2. Which I'm quite happy about.
    One thing which I thought was a bit odd, was they advised me that the warranty continues from the last phone! i.e. I only have 11 months left on this phone, even though it's a new phone new IMEA #! Is this right??
    I haven't queried it with them yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

just an update on this.
    fonemenders were unable to repair it, so they gave me a brand new samsung galaxy s2. Which I'm quite happy about.
    One thing which I thought was a bit odd, was they advised me that the warranty continues from the last phone! i.e. I only have 11 months left on this phone, even though it's a new phone new IMEA #! Is this right??
    I haven't queried it with them yet...

Yes, this is correct, your warranty (ie your contract with Samsung) started on the date of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, basically you were lucky to get a new phone. If the problem could have been repaired, you'd still have a first phone.

2 years is about right for a phone I think, since they're subject to a lot of wear and tear.

This doesn't interfere with your statutory rights which say the product must last a 'reasonable' length of time. I think part of the reason Apple get away with fobbing of customers after a year is that people are too embarrassed to admit that the iPhone they've been going on about isn't so great after all. ;-)

Advertisement