Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa 156

• 30-05-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying an Alfa 156.
    They are on Done Deal for around about the thousand euro mark for a 01..
    I know they are supposed to be troublesome but, does anyone what kind of problems I could expect from one?.

Or am I completely mad for considering to buy one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Alfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

ottostreet wrote: »
    Alfa.

Can't change title, But sure you knew what I meant...

Now, can you answer the question??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

There are many, many threads on this if you search. Most will tell you that any Italian car will dissolve/explode/kill everyone in a ten mile radius and you'd be a fool yada yada yada.
    Fact is they are a great looking car that can be a rewarding drive but if they haven't been properly maintained they (like most) can be a nightmare.

They eat suspension bushes - listen for squeaks over speedbumps. They need regular oil checks as many burn a little oil constantly - check is the owner aware of this. Most importantly they need a timing belt change (Twinspark engine) every 3 years or 36 thou miles; receipts to prove it or walk away.

They are the big ones. I've had 2; my current one has 160thou miles & still makes me smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

LoanShark wrote: »
    Can't change title, But sure you knew what I meant...

Now, can you answer the question??
    Great cars, but they need love, care, and attention to detail. Are you an enthusiast, or do you just want transport?

The 1.6 T-Spark is a good all rounder engine, enough power for most, and returns around the 40mpg mark. The 1.8 & 2 litre versions generally are easier to find in better spec though.

It's quite easy to buy a dog really, as Alfas require maintainence moreso than the likes of a Honda or Toyota of the same age. Due to the price of them, 156's pass through hands, and are sold on before problems cost owners massive bills. A few of my friends have encountered this to their cost.

Try to get one with service history, timing belts are required every 35k miles or so (don't try stretching this out, you won't get lucky), and check its not burning oil, and the car is reaching it's proper operating temperature, as the thermometers can give trouble.

They are a lovely car if you get a good one, and look after it. Better looking and good running costs, as long as you keep up maintainance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I'd try avoid buying a Used car sold around the EUR1000 mark from a Dealer, a private sale is a better bet IMO. Dealers (with forecourts) have no interest in such price cars.
    I looked at some EUR1000 156's last year and they were shocking and dangerous. Answer from the dealer (Bill Griffin Motors) was "Its a EUR1000 car.." to each problem we found.

Mind you, the guy also asked if I was looking to trade my 850CSi against said thousand Euro 156 which was a very special kind of question.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Anan1 wrote: »
    Great cars, but they need love, care, and attention to detail. Are you an enthusiast, or do you just want transport?

I'm not a BIG Alfa enthusiast, but I do like the look of the 156 and for now I am thinking of getting one for a while.. It'll be in daily use and will probably make two/three trips to Dublin per week(130mile round trip)..

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to know what to be looking out for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The 1.6 T-Spark is a good all rounder engine, enough power for most, and returns around the 40mpg mark.

you're not driving it right if it does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

The 1.6 T-Spark is a good all rounder engine, enough power for most, and returns around the 40mpg mark.

40mpg, really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

40mpg lol

I'd go for the 1.8 all day long. Had two 1.8's in the past, very nippy car indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Alpha 156
    :D:D:D:D

Loads around but get something with some sort of history, get a proper Alfa Mec to look it over, not someone who thinks they know.

Try here as well, loads of info to be had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I agree with Anan, do not buy one if you're not arsed with properly maintaining it. I speak from experience.

I've never had problems getting 40mpg, according to the ones I've driven with obcs! Neither has my friend who has one as a daily. I had a 147 with same engine and obc would read 43-44mpg average over every 1k miles.

I know the obcs may be a little optimistic, but still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

I've never had problems getting 40mpg, according to the ones I've driven with obcs! Neither has my friend who has one as a daily. I had a 147 with same engine and obc would read 43-44mpg average over every 1k miles.

Not a chance mate. In the real world, I get 33 from my 2008 147 and I drive it like a saint to get that much out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

You should calculate it at the pump you would be surprised of the variance between the info computer and the actual consumption. My actual consumption is low 30s combined in a 1.8 and another owner I know is not getting much better in his 1.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Anyone buying an Alfa should also consider that maintenance is often much more difficult than other marques.

Changing the anti-roll bar bushing and upper and lower wishbones nearly broke my heart on my 156.

I've done similar jobs on other cars and never had the same hassle.

Owning an Alfa is like dating a supermodel. A great experience, very costly, and once you eventually get sick of the hassle and change, you'll instantly want to get another one.

Veloce wrote: »
    You should calculate it at the pump you would be surprised of the variance between the info computer and the actual consumption. My actual consumption is low 30s combined in a 1.8 and another owner I know is not getting much better in his 1.6

Fair enough, just going on my own experiences. I used fuelly.com for a while when I had the 147, think it was something like 36.3mpg, but it's possible I'm getting that figure confused with a 306. I'll check it when I'm at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Anyone buying an Alfa should also consider that maintenance is often much more difficult than other marques.

Changing the anti-roll bar bushing and upper and lower wishbones nearly broke my heart on my 156.

I've done similar jobs on other cars and never had the same hassle.

Owning an Alfa is like dating a supermodel. A great experience, very costly, and once you eventually get sick of the hassle and change, you'll instantly want to get another one.

Are they're not that bad once you do them once! Arb bushes are a small bit of a pain alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

They're a nice car alright. You have to accept their foibles like 35k timing belt changes, poor mpg, small interior, dodgy electrics and supposed oil consumption (ours doesn't use any).

If you're reasonably handy and willing to maintain an alfa as it should be then go for it. They handle nicely and have great steering. Ours is a 1.6 and is underpowered (or overgeared) imo. A 1.8 or a 2L is a better bet if you can find a good one. Treat yourself to a decent car with leather and you won't be sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Blut2

I had a 1.6 156 for 3 years. Not one single problem in the 3 years. Bought it when it was 6 years old and it far cheaper than the alternatives I was looking at (3 series or A4). Was lovely to drive, always got complements from people who knew nothing about cars. Couldn't recommend it enough to be honest.

40MPG though....not a hope. I drove it almost exclusively on short journeys in Dublin, and tended to drive it a little...spiritedly. Got low 20s mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have to say I like the 1.6 too. Fizzy little thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Make sure it has leather :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had one from 99 bought brand new with leather and larger alloys in a 1.8 engine and loved every moment in it. Used about a litre of oil a month from new and wouldnt see over 28 mpg in the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had the 1.6 for 2 years and it was a great car. Not one problem with it in that time.

You have to rev the guts out of it, but it sounds great when you're doing it! My dad had the 2.0 and his fuel economy was roughly the same as mine - low to mid 30s. Incidentally, he had his for about 12 years without one problem in that time. It was still going strong until it was stolen and used in a cash in transit robbery :(

If insurance hadn't been a factor when I got mine, I'd probably have gone for the 1.8 or 2.0 version - but that's not to take anything away from the 1.6. The handling is great fun in them all; they can really be chucked about.

If you can't get leather, look out for the corduroy/velour type interior. A bit dated looking, but seriously comfortable and a lot harder wearing than some of the very thin cloth options.

Also look out for the Veloce/Sportivo option - you get the nice alloys and sideskirts which look great, and possibly different suspension (can't remember now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

On my second 156 SW now. First one was facelifted interior, original exterior and 1.8. Got 36-38 on long runs (where I wasn't on motorways), overall about 33 and down to 25 on short trips. Second one is fully facelifted, 1.8 also. Haven't had it long enough to know for sure but it looks similar. The thing is - I had a 1.6 Octavia before them and got very similar figures in that, without enjoying a moment of the driving.

First one used 3 litres of oil in 8k miles, second one hasn't dipped below the line in the 1k miles since I got it. Again no better than the Octavia.

Timing belt change interval is a thing but there's more to choosing a car than just the timing belt interval.

Life's too short not to own an Alfa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Matt Simis wrote: »

Mind you, the guy also asked if I was looking to trade my 850CSi against said thousand Euro 156 which was a very special kind of question.

Id say that resulted in a prompt end of discussions.

You should have said yes, he might have given you €300 for it!

Advertisement