Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boderline emissions fail

Options
  • 09-02-2016 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

where to look?

Octavia 2004 1.4 petrol

serviced plugs, air filter, etc

engine temp 90deg

low idle:
    CO 0.23% (limit 0.30%)
    HC 57ppm n/a

high idle:
    CO 0.28% (limit 0.20%)
    HC 77ppm (limit 200)

So failed on CO at high idle by 0.08%:mad:

Just changed the oil, worth putting back in with just that done?
    No engine lights, runs fine, I cleaned the Throttle body while doing an oil change. worth putting back in for test with just that done? (had cleaned the TB a month earlier)..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

Could be a bug in the VW software whereby it didnt know it was "on-test" ? - Kidding.

I think high CO is running rich i.e. too much petrol or not enough air. It is possible / but unlikely that the oil change alone will solve your problem. Remember that the .08% you refer to is nearly 50% over the specified limit. Not an expert here but I suspect the oil would need to be particularly toxic to throw your emissions by that much.

The problem could be a long list of items, like a problematic oxygen sensor or a dud catalytic converter or maybe MAP / MAF sensor. It might be easier and cheaper to bring the car to a trusted indy garage with diagnostics and plug it in to see if there are any faults showing up. You could have many trips to the NCT if its going to be trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Where is the Lambda at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Lambda 1.01
    (range 0.97 to 1.03)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ligertigon wrote: »
    Lambda 1.01
    (range 0.97 to 1.03)

Mmm. All three high-ish like that usually suggests to me a failing cat, but it's hard to say. Lambda sensor and MAP/MAF are also possibilities, I think.

Advertisement