Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canada .... Stay or go ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

evo2000 wrote: »
    Easy there rambo,

What an incisive and detailed response to the points that I made in my post. Bravo ! - Boards.ie is the better for your intellect ! .:rolleyes:
    evo2000 wrote: »
    Nothing ventured nothing gained - Fortune always favours the brave
    Its easy to go by that when youre not bringing 2 kids over with yeah,

The alternative view on life is to do absolutely nothing because doing anything is too risky - Stay stuck in a rut, do nothing, show no initiative or enterprise whatsoever to improve your life (and the future lives of children).

That is not and has never been a view that I subscribe to. You might recommend it and live your life accordingly (social Darwinism in action), I do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Harryeve

TechnoPool wrote: »
    Where the hell are you looking?

this is completely blown out of proportion. A quick look on rentfaster and there are pages of 3 bed rooms houses for 2200-3000.

That price range isn't that fair off what I was saying it all depends what part of the city you live in, I live in mission you won't find a 3 bed place in your price range here. Just say this lad gets a 3 bed for $2500 he's the only one in a family of 4 that's going to be working for the first few months until they get settled, he's a carpenter say he earns $1200 a week that's half his months wages gone on rent straight away do you think he will have much left at the end of the month feeding a family of 4 and pay bills.
    What happens in the winter when some weeks he has no work because of the weather, a lot of carpenters work is outdoors over here building timber framed houses most of the studs are steel frame in side the apartments so they don't have enough work to keep the full crew on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Priv98

Harryeve wrote: »
    Hi I'm here about 5 months I'm a plumber I'm getting $39 an hour working 40 hours a week 8.00 to 4.30 the company I work for don't allow us to do any overtime because they don't want to pay any overtime rates. I know my trade is one of the best for having constant work in the winter time because of service work like frozen pipes a lot of other trades get laid off during the bad weather. I came over with my girlfriend she works in finance she's only getting $23 an hour it just gets her by each week pay rent bills and food. A carpenters wage would be similar to a plumber but they might start u off on $25-$30 for the first month or 2. If I was in your position I'd come over in May just as the weather gets a bit better come over on your own for the first 2 months and get set up u won't support a family over here on 1 wage. We live in a tiny 1 bed apartment $1400 a month tv and Internet $100 a month shopping $200 a week a few drinks at the weekend $200
    Between $7-$9 a pint and then you have to tip 15% on food,drink, taxis, haircuts, pretty much every service u get.

Hi Harryeve

Do you by any chance know of plumbing companies that are hiring? My husband is a plumber and he is looking for a job. We need LMO/LMIA to get work permits. Any tips/advice will be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You're constantly giving out about your low wages, so why don't you do something about it?!

Vancouver has the lowest wages in Canada. At $15/hr, I'd expect you were, at most, entry level admin with very little prior experience. At $12 an hour, I'd expect it to be a server in a decent restaurant.

My OH took a total entry level job to get his foot in the door of his field, and he's getting paid $17/hr. That would be $20/hr in any other city. The most junior positions in my field, usually open to people currently completely their undergraduate degree, begin at $20/hr in Vancouver.

If you do temp work here, you can expect to earn between $16 to $22/hr, depending on where you're working. So if you and your boyfriend are earning so significantly below what you could be earning, I'd be thinking you both need a change of jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I don't think its fair to say van has the lowest wages in Canada at $15.
    Before I left last year, entry-level/admin jobs would have been $10.25-$12.50/hr, whereas servers would have been minimum wage, or less if they served alcohol ($10.25 and $8.50 in Ontario)

I think the minimum wage has gone up since but its still only marginal, a lot of the factory/general labour/entry level work would have struggled to pay near $15/hr

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There was a full stop that you missed, relativity. Vancouver has the lowest average wages in Canada, was what the sentence said. Minimum wage is indeed about $10.25/ hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

i have been looking into getting into Canada for a couple of years now i am a carpenter to its hard to get a job offer from here so sad the iec age is 36 i just missed out on it i relay think its daft having an age limit like that its not like they are going to kick you out when you get a few years older ,, any way in the new year the are starting express entry it will work along with the provincial nominee programs and the new lmo ,but the good thing is that you will be able to post your resume on job bank for potential employers to look at fingers crossed. you lads in the roi automatically have your fetec 6 in carpentry recognized ,i am from the north and the nvq is not recognized its so stupid ,then you have to swear an oath to the queen of england when you pet your permanent residency ,get onto face book there is a page for most big cities as far as i can tell the building in alberta is all because of oil so the boom bust thing is not the same as ireland,if you can do framing and shuttering there is loads of work out west but if you do finish carpentry the toronto has loads more of those jobs look at job bank ,,,, its going to take a long time for construction to improve in the northwest of Ireland what ever side of the border you live on things are still really bad around here people say its improving but that is bull**** all the sites that where on the go for years long before any boom still have grass growing out of them so sad ,,,,,,,Canada is looking to triple its population by the end of the century that's a long way of

• Advertisement

Priv98 wrote: »
    Hi Harryeve

Do you by any chance know of plumbing companies that are hiring? My husband is a plumber and he is looking for a job. We need LMO/LMIA to get work permits. Any tips/advice will be much appreciated.
    bekmar.ca/about_us/
    mrrooter.ca/edmonton

My girlfriend got her job through Robert half a recruitment agent we are both in our mid 30s so have both got good experience so that why started off on decent money. We have returned home to Ireland just over a month ago because we are far better off financially at home. The cost of living in Canada is ridiculous even with the higher wage u get screwed on tax rent and food shopping so I was no better off. Best decision ever was to return home we both found jobs straight away the wages aren't as high here but I have more money here at the end of the week than I did in Canada. I don't know how anyone could make a life over there on any less than $25hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

Hi harryeve what area where you living in ,can you tell me what the tax rates are % ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hi harryeve what area where you living in ,can you tell me what the tax rates are % ?

I pay approx. 37% in Alberta.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I lived in Calgary in a area called mission one of the best areas in my option. I'm not sure of the tax rate I was on I know it wasn't as high as 39% as someone commented. I got paid $39 an hour x 40 hours I took home around $1100 a week. Most trades going over will start on $25 an hour I got $39 straight away because the crowd I was with were desperate for plumbers at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Harryeve wrote: »
    I lived in Calgary in a area called mission one of the best areas in my option. I'm not sure of the tax rate I was on I know it wasn't as high as 39% as someone commented. I got paid $39 an hour x 40 hours I took home around $1100 a week. Most trades going over will start on $25 an hour I got $39 straight away because the crowd I was with were desperate for plumbers at the time.

39% is the marginal rate

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Alberta has a rate of 10% for state income tax + up to 29% for federal income tax.

The effective income tax rates in Canada are generally lower than Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement