Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Bord Pleanala issues - complaint time????

Options
  • 18-06-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭

Okay as some may have noted - or not

I am not overly happy to say the least with how wind farms are planned in an Irish Rural community type setting.

There is a specific case - which I have no involvement in whatsoever - but I have very annoyed with how the ABP inspectors views were just tossed aside in a wind farm application recently.

I am not in a position to say if the Bord was right or wrong (im just a normal layperson without the necessary planning expertise) - but I felt looking at the decision that the board seemed more interested about National Policy Guidelines - then the merits or lack off - of the actual application.

What makes it worse for me - was that the application was turned down by the local authority - which is why it went to ABP as the developers appealed the decision.

The fact that BOTH the Co Council (Clare) and the ABP Inspector were not in favour of the application been granted - Clare Co Co - refused permission - ABPs inspector recommended refusal in her report.

Raises general questions about the boards competence to handle wind farm applications as an INDEPENDENT planning appeals body.

I think their response to the inspectors points - merits a complaint personally.

Getting fed up of the OUT OF CONTROL way wind farms are just granted permission - or so it seems.

Haven't made up my mind yet if I will do it or not - highly tempted.

Probably a waste of time - but I feel a need to vent - will find a link to the decision later - must go now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

There have been several cases like this in recent months. Only yesterday ABP again ignored its own inspectors advice and granted permissions for a 18 turbine wind farm on scenic hills in Laois which had been turned down by the local CC. The NPWS also expressed concerns about this project along with hundreds of local objections. It appears we are back to the bad old days of developer driven planning at any cost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you should see what is happening with the Section 261 A quarry stuff, aparently the burden of proof required for getting a pre 1965 quarry past ABP is a hand written note by the operator saying it is pre 1965? No other proof as suggested under the guidelines (tax records, etc) is necessary it appears. Farcical, these quarrys can now go forward for substitute consent, again to ABP :rolleyes:

It is a regular thing for the inspectors report to be overturned by the board, be that in a positive or negative way depending on your camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Birdnuts wrote: »
    There have been several cases like this in recent months. Only yesterday ABP again ignored its own inspectors advice and granted permissions for a 18 turbine wind farm on scenic hills in Laois which had been turned down by the local CC. The NPWS also expressed concerns about this project along with hundreds of local objections. It appears we are back to the bad old days of developer driven planning at any cost

They talk about "proper planning and sustainable development of the area"

How does that work - when Cllr Mary Sweeney whoses an FG councillor AND from the area* - is saying that its a SAD day for the area.

It seems to me that in terms of wind farm planning - what proper planning and development of the area actually means is - communities are no longer important their role long term - is first and foremost - it seems to me - to be a host location for a wind farm.

That's the wrong way to approach it - in terms of proper planning and sustainable development - the communities and residents who live in the area should be a VERY HIGH priority.

The difficulty at the moment is that if you put that argument forward - its going to be seen as contrary to Govt policy.

Offaly Co Councillors put forward an idea - a 2 km buffer zone around TOWNS AND VILLAGEs - not individual houses.

Sounds reasonable - but the clown of a county manager was concerned - and I make no apologies for that objected to it - because - WAIT FOR IT.

A 2 km buffer zone had "no basis in national guidelines"

Sends a clear message to the people of Offaly - National guidelines are more important then your community - nice one Mr County Manager - I have an idea - look at what is proper planning for your COUNTIES COMMUNITIES - if that doesn't match national guidelines - then change guidelines

This is part of the issue - if something doesn't agree with national guidelines or some big plan - then in terms of wind farm planning - that something - usually something that might help protect communities or help them - is automatically wrong - and the guidelines at Govt level are 100 percent correct - not a good way to do business.

Have added link

http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/39641/councillors-will-oppose-removal-of-two-kilometre-wind-farm-buffer/

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

Some analysis of the ABP decision to grant permission to the windfarm at Cullenagh in Laois two days ago.

http://irishplanningnews.ie/an-bord-pleanala-overturn-council-decision-and-grant-permission-for-windfarm-in-laois/

Some analysis of the ABP decision to grant permission to the windfarm at Cullenagh in Laois two days ago.

http://irishplanningnews.ie/an-bord-pleanala-overturn-council-decision-and-grant-permission-for-windfarm-in-laois/

Even a Govt dept raised issues with the project - if im reading that article correctly :(

The board has its views on the project - but im not sure how much of its opinion is based on good planning judgement.

The difficulty I can see is residential amenity - how does one properly assess that is a level of residential amenity - setbacks etc - is acceptable for the majority of people in the nearby community.

My own personal view is that id like to see more thought put into the future of communities - in general - and building a sustainable long term future for communities.

The challenge is working out a way to see how communities and projects - whether that's wind or any other type - can work well together - in a way that gives residents comfort that they can live their daily lives pleasantly and without issue.

That's missing at the moment I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

There is some interesting stuff on the Ireland After NAMA blog (now sadly defunct) about An Bord Pleanala.

https://irelandafternama.wordpress.com/tag/an-bord-pleanala/

The "Proper Planning and sustainable development of the area" - is the big area of concern for me - to me such a statement should imply that you should work in the best interests of the area - particularly where you have communities in the area.

In terms of "SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT" of the area - I think planners and decision makers should be thinking more of the communities long term future - as this SHOULD be part of sustainable development of the area.

I take the view that IF a development causes problems for a community that hinder its future and/or make it less attractive to live or work in - then there has to be a question mark on whether the development is a) proper planning for the area - bearing in mind the fact there is a community in the area - or b) sustainable development IF we are interested in having as positive a future for communities.

The fact that there doesn't seem to be thought gone into the future of communities in terms of wind farm planning suggests the future of communities isn't seen as a priority in the way that I think it should.

That does not mean I am right of course - its just that's how I feel.

That annoys me far more then the turbines themselves - turbines aren't to blame for how Irish planners, Govt and others plan them here

Advertisement