Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colossal peat bog discovered in Congo

• 27-05-2014 7:54am

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27492949
    A vast peatland has been discovered in a remote part of Congo-Brazzaville.
    The bog covers an area the size of England and is thought to contain billions of tonnes of peat.
    Scientists say investigating the carbon-rich material could shed light on 10,000 years of environmental change in this little-studied region.
    Dr Simon Lewis, from the University of Leeds, said: "It's remarkable that there are parts of the planet that are still uncharted territory."
    He added: "Few people venture into these swamps as they are quite difficult places to move around in and work in."
    Satellite images initially hinted at the presence of the enormous tropical peatland, but an expedition, starting from Itanga village in April, confirmed it was there.

Bord na mona, eat your heart out!

I expect that Africans will strip this bare a a few years due to ever increasing costs of imported fuel.
    Another piece of unspoilt land that will be destroyed! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

dolanbaker wrote: »

I expect that Africans will strip this bare a a few years due to ever increasing costs of imported fuel.
    They hardly have bother drying turf over that part of the world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭nagel

and Ming is only in one day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

dolanbaker wrote: »

Because Europeans would never do such a thing..:o

My understanding is its in a remote area that isn't particularly politically unstable so there's hope that its fate won't become tangled up in the ongoing conflict.

Advertisement