Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best place to start with...

Options
  • 16-12-2013 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Groovy, Grails and Google Web Toolkit?

I've literally just been offered a junior position in a company that uses these technologies and I start in the beginning of January.

I want to learn as much as possible between now and then, so does anyone have any tips?

Any good websites, books, etc, that are highly recommended?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as this is my first real job since graduating and I want to make sure that I'm good at whatever I'll be doing.

I have experience in Java from college, so that's covered.

I'm also pretty good at Rails, so if anyone can make a comparison here that helps me to understand, then please do!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

there are some screencasts here

And youtube hassome interesting videos too - http://www.youtube.com/embed/8d1hp8n1stA

The best thing to do is download and try it. You'll probably be using STS and its a custom version of eclipse so is pretty heavy duty.

I've only played with grails myself but it looks really interesting.
    Only problems I've had are with plugins and versions of grails.

re: comparison to rails.
    Well grails = groovy on rails so I'd expect you to see a lot of similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

croo wrote: »

The best thing to do is download and try it. You'll probably be using STS and its a custom version of eclipse so is pretty heavy duty.

I hope for OP's sake he won't be, a fat guy grab IntelliJ instead.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I'm happy to see that there aren't 400+ screencasts, unlike Ryan Bates Railscasts... That makes it a bit more manageable!

That other link is broken though croo, but you've been great help regardless, those grailscasts will have the crap viewed out of them.

And Chrome, they mentioned in an interview that they use IntelliJ, but I'd forgotten it's name until you mentioned it. It's meant to be a subsciption based bit of software right? They're absolutely adamant about using it over Eclipse and its bugs. Thanks for bringing it up!

a fat guy wrote: »
    They're absolutely adamant about using it over Eclipse and its bugs. Thanks for bringing it up!

They have a free community version that is still miles ahead of Eclipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I started learning Grails with this free ebook.

• Advertisement

a fat guy wrote: »
    That other link is broken though croo...
    Sorry about that ... I updated the youtube link.

re: STS vs intelliJ
    Grails on STS is straight forward enough and since SpringSource manage it you'd expect it to be trouble free Spring/Grails - but eclipse is, in general, a sprawling monster. It's not so bad on a clean install but once you've added some plugins and more importantly start upgrading then it can be problematic.

I've downloaded intelliJ lots of times but I just can't seem to get into it :/
    But I've been using eclipse now for as long as I can remember - its java browser reminds me of when I started learning OO with smalltalk and I use this a lot. Others (who use intelliJ) have told me that eclipse's debugging tools are better than intelliJ but I haven't used it enough to comment.

PS. what's the differences between the commercial & community versions? Is it just support or are there functionalities on the $$$ version that are not in the community version?

ChRoMe wrote: »
    I hope for OP's sake he won't be, a fat guy grab IntelliJ instead.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/
    Well I finally downloaded this but noted that grails support is not included in the community edition - you need to buy the ultimate version. Can I just install some plugin to the community edition to get grails support?

Failing that it's possible I can get an open source one but if there is a simple solution... ?

croo wrote: »
    Well I finally downloaded this but noted that grails support is not included in the community edition - you need to buy the ultimate version. Can I just install some plugin to the community edition to get grails support?

Failing that it's possible I can get an open source one but if there is a simple solution... ?

Ooops apologies :o

I've been on ultimate for several years so didn't realise it wasn't available in community edition. I doubt you can get support in community as these are the exact scenarios where JetBrains wants to sell the value add.

Advertisement