Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

This is a pure anihalation of the limerick team. It's like target practise. And there's more tipp supporters here at a limerick home match!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

What was the score in the Limerick match today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Jigga wrote: »
    What was the score in the Limerick match today?

Limerick 0-8 Tipperary 2-12

All of the scores are here http://www.rte.ie/sport/aertel/212_3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

last weekend the 12 apostles had a training session (sorry puck around) in knocklong under the guidance of t j ryan.
    would one of the reasons than some had been dropped be that they had the habit of wobbling out of licened premises on the early hours of monday mornings, also last year in the championship when they beat wexford in wexford, a training session on the morning after in wexford has to be cancelled as only 3 players turned up, how many turned up at a disco the night of the game,
    some of them guys have heads so big that thay were unable to get hats to fit them in limerick so they had to send to texas for them,
    now here is a thought for all of you people, how many of the past and current limerick squads would survive a months training down in kilkenney.
    the burning question about the 12 apostles do they want to play for limerick,
    or is it a case of that they just want to line out for limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Limerick 0-8 Tipperary 2-12

All of the scores are here http://www.rte.ie/sport/aertel/212_3.html
    i heard 2-21 to 0-6 as the final result on the radio :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭windowlicker

NHL Division 1 FT score - Tipperary 2-24 Limerick 0-8 - correction.

according to http://twitter.com/tipperarygaa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Bottom line is that Tipp won and that it was not close, a bit of a pain that nobody seems to know the score though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

NHL Division 1 FT score - Tipperary 2-24 Limerick 0-8 - correction.

according to http://twitter.com/tipperarygaa

Yea, I think that's right.

Now we wait 'til Tuesday.
    Will Justin go or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

According to rte the score is Limerick 0-08 Tipperary 2-24
    Sunday, 21 March 2010 17:05
    Tipperary dished out a heavy beating to Limerick in their National Hurling League Division 1 encounter at the Gaelic Grounds.
    Justin McCarthy's men lost midfielder Dean Madden to an early red card and never recovered as Tipperary cantered into a 1-10 to 0-02 half-time lead.
    Timmy Hammersley put his name to the opening goal and Eoin Kelly landed five points.

A 44th-minute goal from John O'Brien put the result beyond any doubt, with Tipp boss Liam Sheedy substituting some of his key players.
    More to follow...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0321/limerick_tipperary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Well at least it's progress from the semi last year in Croker. Sure didn't we get bayt by 24 points that day and we drove all the way to Dublin for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I really hope the mess that is Limerick hurling is sorted out sooner rather than later. It is doing no-one any good. The Limerick hurling public have had enough at this stage I'd say. The current Limerick team players are doing their best but it wouldn't be good enough for Div2 let alone Div1. Something has to give soon, for the good of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

surley 3 suits for each panel member should be an incintive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I came away from Croke Park last August shell shocked. It was a freak performance, a few horrible individual errors were severely punished and the game was over as a contest after 20 minutes.

Yesterday, there were no horrible individual errors, and the margin of defeat was just as bad. It was a Tipp team nowhere near their strongest, and if this Limerick team met a full strength Tipp team at championship level the margin of defeat would be at least 30 points. At times Tipp were very casual, and it was very clear that they were playing well within themselves.

If Justin isn't removed at tomorrow's board meeting we will not win a single game all year, which will mean division 2 hurling next year and relagation to Christy Ring hurling (although I can't see Croke Park actually letting that happen for a finish.) Every Liam McCarthy team (including Antrim, Laois and Carlow) would beat our current panel.

The real losers in all this are the current panel. It can't be good for their confidence and development to be on the receiving end of hiding after hiding. They are doing a great job, and giving all they have but collectively they are just nowhere near the standard required. The likes of Andrew Brennan, Nicky Quaid, David Lynch and Graeme Mulcahy to name a few would learn a lot more from playing and training alongside the likes of Seamus Hickey, Brian Geary, Donal O'Grady, Andrew O'Shaughnessy, Mark Foley and so on. Instead we have the likes of Paudie McNamara and Paul Browne who have only been on the panel two years all of a sudden find themselves being our most experienced players.

The time for pointing fingers and making points and passing judgements is over, regardless of what side your on (be that Justin or players.) Like it or not the players who have withdrawn have every right to refuse to play for Justin, they are amatuers and have no legal obligation to play for any manager (whether or not they have a moral obligation is irrelevant) so if many of our best players are no longer willing to work with our current management team then we have to change manager.

We don't need Justin. We need to be able to pick from our best players. This has gone on too long and I like many others am sick of it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

jordainius wrote: »
    We don't need Justin. We need to be able to pick from our best players. This has gone on too long and I like many others am sick of it all...

My 2 cents:

Tom Ryan, Eamonn Cregan, Dave Keane, Padjoe Whelahan, Joe McKenna and now Justin McCarthy. The limerick panel managed to find fault with all these managers, whats the common denominator here? I say let the lads who want to hurl for their county do so, and let anybody who doesn't enjoy their retirement.......

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    My 2 cents:

Tom Ryan, Eamonn Cregan, Dave Keane, Padjoe Whelahan, Joe McKenna and now Justin McCarthy. The limerick panel managed to find fault with all these managers, whats the common denominator here? I say let the lads who want to hurl for their county do so, and let anybody who doesn't enjoy their retirement.......

Incorrect. The players had no problem with Tom Ryan, he was shafted by the county board.

Eamonn Cregan had 5 years, and in those five years nothing was won and no real progress was being made. There was nothing wrong with parting ways with him and it wasn't player driven.

Dave Keane contributed to his own downfall by favouring players from the 3 in a row over lads who had been on the panel, there were other underlying factors, but ultimately Dave Keane was too, shafted by the board.

Padjoe rocked the boat by making a big deal about dual players and his ultimatum backfired as the players concerned all chose football.

Joe McKenna was in charge for the Cusack Park disaster. Some of the positional selections he made for that match were bizarre to say the least, to the point that he practically lost credibility as a manager as a result.

It's inaccurate and oversimplifying things to say that the panel found fault with all the managers you listed. And in some cases its just completely false.

I'm not saying the players are perfect but there is a level of contempt for them in this county for the last few years and they are often portrayed as ill disciplined prima-donna's. That is unfair and untrue. There are a few bad eggs alright but the players are not the only ones in the wrong.

If you have a problem with the high amount of managers we have had then you have to bear in mind that the county board are largely at fault for that rather than the players. Our two best and most successful managers in the last 15 years were Richie Bennis and Tom Ryan. Both were popular with the players but both were disliked at board level and were shafted as a result.

Another thing, the players do want to hurl for the county, they just don't want to hurl for Justin McCarthy any longer. That is different to not wanting to hurl for their county.

People really shouldn't be taking sides in all this. There is wrong on the side of Justin McCarthy, the players, the board and even the supporters. I have heard some awful nonsense from "supporters" in the last six months acting as if they know it all when most of the time they haven't a clue of whats really going on. A massive culture change is needed in hurling at all levels- players, board, management, supporters. There is a myth that our county has great support, well something that will always stick with me was the disgraceful booing of our team at half time and full time in the qualifier against Offaly in 2008.

Change is needed, that needs to start tomorrow night with Justin McCarthy's removal. Only then can we start to clean up this mess and start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    My 2 cents:

Cant agree more. Its high time the prima donna's (not just in Limerick) Fecked off and let lads in who want to play.

What county is next?

Incorrect. The players had no problem with Tom Ryan, he was shafted by the county board.

1. Eamonn Cregan had 5 years, and in those five years nothing was won and no real progress was being made. There was nothing wrong with parting ways with him and it wasn't player driven.

2. Dave Keane contributed to his own downfall by favouring players from the 3 in a row over lads who had been on the panel, there were other underlying factors, but ultimately Dave Keane was too, shafted by the board.

3. Padjoe rocked the boat by making a big deal about dual players and his ultimatum backfired as the players concerned all chose football.

4. Joe McKenna was in charge for the Cusack Park disaster. Some of the positional selections he made for that match were bizarre to say the least, to the point that he practically lost credibility as a manager as a result.

Them 4 managers have coached more or less the same team over the last 10 years or so. Surely... Surely to god the lack of success has to fall back on the players at some stage?
    Is there a coach out there good enough for ye? I mean ye would have got probably sick of Richie Bennis eventually too as there's no way any of his teams would have beaten Kilkenny or the current Tipperary team. By his own admission his players were drinking too much after the AI final of 2007.
    It looks like the current bunch will get their way. McCarthy will go, new management will come in and sooner or later the vicious cycle will begin again.

Managers since 1995

Cork
    09- Denis Walsh
    2009 John Considine
    06-09 Gerald McCarthy
    04-06 John Allen
    02-04 Donal O'Grady
    01-02 Bertie Óg Murphy
    00-01 Tom Cashman
    95-00 Jimmy Barry Murphy

Limerick
    08- Justin McCarthy
    06-08 Richie Bennis
    05-06 Joe McKenna
    03-05 PadJoe Whelehan
    02-03 David Keane
    97-02 Eamonn Cregan
    93-97 Tom Ryan

Clare
    09- Ger O'Loughlin
    07-09 Mike McNamara
    06-07 Tony Considine
    03-06 Anthony Daly
    00-03 Cyril Lyons
    94-00 Ger Loughnane

Tipperary
    07- Liam Sheedy
    05-07 Babs Keating
    03-05 Ken Hogan
    02-03 Michael Doyle
    98-02 Nicky English
    96-98 Len Gaynor
    94-96 Tom Fogarty

Waterford
    08- Davy Fitzgerald
    01-08 Justin McCarthy
    96-01 Gerald McCarthy
    9x-96 Tony Mansfield

Cork: 8
    Limerick, Tipperary: 7
    Clare: 6
    Waterford: 4

As shown above, changing managers regularly is not exclusively a Limerick issue.

Them 4 managers have coached more or less the same team over the last 10 years or so. Surely... Surely to god the lack of success has to fall back on the players at some stage?
    Your point? Nobody is suggesting that the players are infallible and that it is all 100% the managers' faults. The manager has to get the best out of the players at his disposal and when it is clear that he cannot do that, then he is moved on. Maybe some of those managers have been moved on a bit too soon, but that would be the fault of the county board.

Its almost as if some people feel it is easy to get the most out of a panel of players. Managers like this don't exactly grow on trees...
    Is there a coach out there good enough for ye? I mean ye would have got probably sick of Richie Bennis eventually too as there's no way any of his teams would have beaten Kilkenny or the current Tipperary team. By his own admission his players were drinking too much after the AI final of 2007.

That's not what he said, he said a few of them were doing that, the vast majority of them were not. And you know that yet you chose not to clarify that in your post.

It looks like the current bunch will get their way. McCarthy will go, new management will come in and sooner or later the vicious cycle will begin again.
    What vicious cycle? And try to be specific and don't just spout the usual clichéd rubbish and rumours which have been thrown at this bunch of players in recent years.

I sincerely do hope they "get their way", otherwise we will just have to continue sending out an inexperienced team to take more hammerings and do further damage to Limerick hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Tonights the night! If Justin Gets through it which i hope he does, i think the "wasters" should stop making press statements and just decide to retire or come back. This would be a second motion of confidence that Justin has Passed and should show the Players that they have lost the battle.If Justin Goes so be it...But i hope the new manager drops the old Players still and invites only the young ones back...althought it wouldnt suprise me if they started Crying again.Shower Of Unreal Tools that have made Limerick Hurling the laughing stock of Ireland.If they Come Back i can safely say i hope they break there legs one night while there Drinking the town dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If they Come Back i can safely say i hope they break there legs one night while there Drinking the town dry.

harsh!!

Tonights the night! If Justin Gets through it which i hope he does, i think the "wasters" should stop making press statements and just decide to retire or come back. This would be a second motion of confidence that Justin has Passed and should show the Players that they have lost the battle.If Justin Goes so be it...But i hope the new manager drops the old Players still and invites only the young ones back...althought it wouldnt suprise me if they started Crying again.Shower Of Unreal Tools that have made Limerick Hurling the laughing stock of Ireland.If they Come Back i can safely say i hope they break there legs one night while there Drinking the town dry.

I would need to draw up a flow chart to illustrate the amount of things wrong with that post.

I'll only say this, the opinion of anyone who would wish broken legs on anyone else is complete and utter irrational nonsense. What a disgusting and disgraceful thing to say. You seriously need a reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

If they Come Back i can safely say i hope they break there legs one night while there Drinking the town dry.

Post anymore BS like that and I'll make sure it'll be your last post here for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

LeoB wrote: »
    Cant agree more. Its high time the prima donna's (not just in Limerick) Fecked off and let lads in who want to play.

What county is next?

Leo. did you read Jordainius' post regarding why those managers were fired? Your ersponse?

Jordainius your somewhat pushing it including Considine and his two weeks in charge as a Cork manager.

Your point? Nobody is suggesting that the players are infallible and that it is all 100% the managers' faults. The manager has to get the best out of the players at his disposal and when it is clear that he cannot do that, then he is moved on. Maybe some of those managers have been moved on a bit too soon, but that would be the fault of the county board.
    From what I hear the county board in limerick are undesirable to say the least. Your forgetting though that Justin dropped 12 or so of these players feeling that he had got all he could out of them. He is the manager after all and the remaining players should have just respected his decision and get on with it.. But your right that this problem is not just limited to limerick.

Its almost as if some people feel it is easy to get the most out of a panel of players. Managers like this don't exactly grow on trees...
    Your contradicting yourself, one sentance you stated 'The manager has to get the best out of the players at his disposal and when it is clear that he cannot do that, then he is moved on.'
    Now your suggesting it is not that easy to get the most out of a panel of players, so why should he be moved on? Should he not be given time? Is one year really enough to say that Justin McCarthy cannot get the best out of the limerick players and never will? Should he be allowed to mould his own panel over time?
    That's not what he said, he said a few of them were doing that, the vast majority of them were not. And you know that yet you chose not to clarify that in your post.
    Whether it is 1 player or 20 players that are drinking its sets a negative precedent within the dressing room. these are experienced players who need to set an example. by drinking they showed lack of respect to Richie Bennis and undermined his position.

What vicious cycle? And try to be specific and don't just spout the usual clichéd rubbish and rumours which have been thrown at this bunch of players in recent years.

if players get their way again when will it end? again this is not just limited to limerick but other counties too. it is a vicious cycle. more and more managers are no longer in control. player power is not good for the game.
    I sincerely do hope they "get their way", otherwise we will just have to continue sending out an inexperienced team to take more hammerings and do further damage to Limerick hurling.

your forgetting you got a hammering with the players that you hope 'get their way' back in august. limerick haven't exactly been immune to hammerings the last 4 years with all due respect. what benefit will it do to limerick hurling getting these players back?

i would also like to state that theSpecialOne's comments are quite simply un-condonable and immature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There is wrong on all sides. From what i understand, of the 12 that were dropped, only one, Mark Foley, got a phone call from McCarthy, to tell him he was being dropped (although he had stated that he was retiring anyway after the 09 championship, earlier in the year). Those players, whether people liked them or not, deserved to be told of their exclusion by either way of a phone call or face to face. So that's where JMC is to blame.

The next wrong move was made by the other 12 members who then pulled out of the squad in protest. Albeit they probably felt that they owed some loyalty to their axed team mates, they owed more loyalty to their county and the supporters. I have no doubt that some of the dropped players put the other 12 under pressure to pull out and support them. So this is where the players (or some of them) were in the wrong.

Then there is the role of the county board. They seem to be doing nothing but spewing out empty rhetoric, neither fully backing the players or JMC. The county board should have been breaking their backsides trying to encourage dialogue between the players and the management team. Often talking and getting everything out in the open does achieve a lot.

Your forgetting though that Justin dropped 12 or so of these players feeling that he had got all he could out of them.

I'm not forgetting anything. I know exactly why each and every one of those players were dropped and only about four of them could have been considered to have been dropped because Justin thought that "that he had got all he could out of them." I was supportive of dropping them for the reasons that they were dropped but the manner in which it was done was totally unacceptable and unfair. It was asking for trouble and it sure got it.

Your contradicting yourself, one sentance you stated 'The manager has to get the best out of the players at his disposal and when it is clear that he cannot do that, then he is moved on.'
    Now your suggesting it is not that easy to get the most out of a panel of players, so why should he be moved on? Should he not be given time? Is one year really enough to say that Justin McCarthy cannot get the best out of the limerick players and never will? Should he be allowed to mould his own panel over time?
    I'm not contradicting myself. I said the manager has to get the best out of the players at his disposal and if he is not doing that then he is moved on. He should be moved on because he very clearly did not get the best out of the players last year, they got to a semi final alright but that was largely due to a few very favourable draws in the qualifiers. He should also be moved on for his part in the current stand off. How you managed to imagine that I contradicted myself is a mystery.
    Whether it is 1 player or 20 players that are drinking its sets a negative precedent within the dressing room. these are experienced players who need to set an example. by drinking they showed lack of respect to Richie Bennis and undermined his position.

What's your point? I pointed out that you misquoted what Bennis said and that still stands. Why you went off on a tangent about precedents and undermining Bennis is beyond me. All I did was point out your mistake, which by the way still stands.

if players get their way again when will it end? again this is not just limited to limerick but other counties too. it is a vicious cycle. more and more managers are no longer in control. player power is not good for the game.

Again? What exactly do you mean by that? Up to now the players in Limerick have never gotten a manager removed. The managers have either stepped down or the board have removed them. Player power is a part of the game now and it has been for a while now.

your forgetting you got a hammering with the players that you hope 'get their way' back in august. limerick haven't exactly been immune to hammerings the last 4 years with all due respect. what benefit will it do to limerick hurling getting these players back?

Keep your condescending and false assumptions to yourself because I can assure you I wont forget that day for as long as I follow hurling, I was there. What benefit will it be to get these players back?

Ok, well firstly we would have a fighting chance of not getting relegated from the league this season.
    Then, we would not get relegated from the Liam McCarthy Cup this year.
    The younger players on the current panel would learn more from training and playing alongside the likes of Seamus Hickey, Brian Geary, Donal O'Grady, O'Shaughnessy and so on.
    The players on the current panel would be spared of the prospect of coming out of every game they play on the wrong side of a hammering.
    Limerick hurling would be competitive.

Are you saying that your answer to limerick not being immune to hammerings is to replace them with a team which is absolutely 100% guaranteed to take a hammering every time they line out?! You cannot be serious.

We are not better off without all of these players, the results in the league are proving that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

83-47. Well done to all in Limerick for standing up to player power

but the manner in which it was done was totally unacceptable and unfair. It was asking for trouble and it sure got it.

You could say the same thing about KK the early part of the noughties. Charlie Carter, Denis Byrne, Andy Comerford, Brian McEvoy, John Hoyne, Phil Larkin,Peter Barry, Sean Dowling, were all phased out of the squad.
    Terrific hurlers who would make any panel at the time and who had won AI medals in 2000 and 2002 and it is worth noting that Brian Cody doesnt do tact either. Did Henry Shefflin, DJ Carey, Michael Kavanagh, James McGarry and Martin Comerford all decide it was a raw deal and follow them out the door?
    No, they stayed and got on with it. I don't agree with these Limerick panelists walking out and making demands just like i didn't agree with the Mike Mac situation in Clare or Gerard McCarthy situation in Cork.

Quite frankly it is my opinion that the gap between the limerick panel of 2009 and 2010 isn't as great as people think. I think if Limerick are patient they can come back with that competitive team in 2011. This year there has been too many disruptions for them to have any edge but they will be back whether the experienced members come back or not. I realise it must be frustrating for a Limerick follower but timers will get better.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    83-47. Well done to all in Limerick for standing up to player power

Division 2 and Christy Ring Cup here we come.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement