Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Not trying to rub salt or stir here lads but it was very disappointing to see Joe Canning feigning injury trying to get a player in trouble in the second half.

Was a pretty abject performance by Galway, thought yed tear away after the first ten minutes but to only score 0-2 points in the last 20 is very poor given the gale that was there. Has Cunninghams backroom team changed much in the last few years?

After scoring 5 unanswered points in the first 8 mins of the second half to reduce the lead to 4 points - I thought they would drive on and win comfortably. How they went from playing nice neat crisp passes finding a man in open space and scoring to lobbing in big hopeless balls in to a very crowded full forward line is beyond me!!

I have defended cunningham and believed continuity would be good for the team, after yestersdays tactical performance I dont think he should be at the helm anymore. I dont like to critise players as I know the effort they put in is phenomenal but to pick players like kileen, mcinerney, tannion, cooney, regan consistently is getting to be a bit of a joke. Bit strong athletes they may well be, but intercounty standard hurlers they are not. They give away far too many needless frees and are just not good enough. Although andy smith is playing well lately - i would include him in that list too- always good for giving away at least 4 or 5 needless frees a game.

Does anyone know the reason as to why greg lally didnt start? if he was good enough to come on in the 2nd half, he must have been good enough to start! I would liked to have seen daithi burke played yesterday aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 davehedgehog

was in waterford yesterday, was very obvious that they had no plan to counteract the mass defence that waterford had despite all the talk of it before the match.

In the first half
    Players were trying to run through half forward line only to get swallowed up by 3 or 4 defenders. Galway had one extra man in defence in but there were huge amounts of free space that the waterford lads ran into and picked off a massive amount of scores. The galway FF line were spectators and were wasted inside as nothing made it in to them. The few balls that did go in were cleared out again just as quick

In the 2nd half
    Kept pumping the long ball into glynn when waterford had all the extra men standing beside him. Mgmt were giving orders not to shoot from distance but given the conditions and the amount of ball wasted into a FF line they should have just kept taking pot shots or at least get the likes of canning into good position out the field to shoot. To be fair to the players they fought hard for ball but when they got it they didnt know what to do with it and couldnt figure a way to turn all of the posession they got in the half back line and midfield into scores. When Galway had Pauric Mannion as sweeper in 2nd half they cleared everything but Maurice shanahan came into it when he was 1 on 1 with Hanbury after mannion was moved out and he held up a lot of ball.

Galway have 9 weeks, (incl 2 rounds of club matches) to get something going

On waterford, they fought hard and now play Tipp. Tipp have the players to pick up scores from distance without engaging the mass defence and Eamonn O'Shea is a lot more tactically astute than the Galway lads so I'd expect him to come up with something to unlock that defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

you would worry for Galway going into their opener with the Dubs in a few weeks time, they have great hurlers but they don't seem to be pulling with the man who is over them. plus after 4 years Anthony Cunningham still has not a settle full back or centre back for Galway and thats alot of their problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Galway need to play off their FF. I think this is the key role for the hurlers. This needs to be a player who is clinical and skillful. The likes of Joe Canning or Connor Cooney who has proven themselves as sharp shooters (almost) would be well fitted to this role. Both have good experience and both can be leaders. Keeping them on the edge of the square and having them coming out a yard or two to colllect the passes could provide badly needed scores including badly needed goals for Galway. G

iven the lack of pace in the team, this idea of running at the defence with slow players is pointless and usually results in turnovers and overlaps.

It would require player the usual 1-3-3-2-3-3 formation which Galway tend to abandon in games favoring a 1-3-4-3-2-2 or a 1-3-4-4-2-1 formation which clearly doesn't work.

It's gonna be a tough summer for galway hurling and I cn't imagine the lads making a QF this year unless they really pull-themselves together and start performing - 12 points is not a good score in a league QF... Given that the last few years Galway have been the team scoring the most goals in the league, this year they got 4 goals in 6 games - speaks volumes in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

i have found over the years that Canning playing fullforward suits the teams that play them as they would put a man back in front of Joe, and then Joe has to go out the field and sents in balls where he should be, untill Galway get a good settle midfield and half forward line Joe has to stay out field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Not trying to rub salt or stir here lads but it was very disappointing to see Cathal Mannion feigning injury trying to get a player in trouble in the second half.

Was a pretty abject performance by Galway, thought yed tear away after the first ten minutes but to only score 0-2 points in the last 20 is very poor given the gale that was there. Has Cunninghams backroom team changed much in the last few years?

Wasn't Canning at all, my apologies bad form to be sullying his name.

I missed this the first time I watched the match but looking at it again tonight Mannion wasn't as bad as you make out. In fairness he wasn't rolling around. IMO the helmet pull by Mahony during the schmozzle early in the second half was far worse and far more dangerous when a lad is on the ground and can't defend himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

citykat wrote: »
    I missed this the first time I watched the match but looking at it again tonight Mannion wasn't as bad as you make out. In fairness he wasn't rolling around. IMO the helmet pull by Mahony during the schmozzle early in the second half was far worse and far more dangerous when a lad is on the ground and can't defend himself.

He went down holding his helmet after getting a slight nudge to his shoulder, mid rift at worst with no force. And he rolled once. The screen is zoomed in for the tv so you don't see it, but Gavin told him get up and as soon as he turned away he was back up on his feet no evidence of physical distress. It's not dangerous at all, but while I've seen some diving and that's one thing, I've not seen to much evidence of trying to get the opposition in trouble. Aidan O mahony v Cork in an all ireland semi is one that comes to mind, 2008 I'd say it was and for balance Eoin McGrath did it against Tipp one time I think (possibly 2008). It's just not on and it was exactly what I made it out to be, feigning injury to get another player in trouble.

On Philip Mahony, he would want to be careful going for the helmet. Silly thing to do and by the letter off the law it would be hard to argue if more action was taken. In his defense, Lally was tussling with his younger brother and he initially went to try and pull him away by the arm but shouldn't have gone near the helmet.

Again, I'm not playing "Clean Team, Dirty Team" here.

Joe Canning (26), Andy Smith (31) and Fergal Moore (32) have been released from the Galway Senior Hurling Panel after altercations with management. The County Board made the statement earlier this evening. Neither management nor the player involved have made a comment. A statement is expected from the Team before the weekend.

Read the article here on Galway Bay FM website.

Hard loss to take. Outstanding game of football and 6-25 scored between the teams. Great finishing by both sides although were it not for some silly shooting by Ros they could have won it by more. The winning of the game was smothering Comer at the edge of the square, had he gotten all the balls that went in he could have finished with 1-5 and possibly another goal. Fair play to Branning getting a goal at the death for Galway to give us hope, but alas.... Roscommon are an outstanding team and it will be hard for anyone to beat them.

Some big stars on the future on show today and some lads that should be getting a call from Kevin Walsh anyday soon.

Anyways a good performance by Galway just a pity to fall short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

While it was disappointing to lose, must say this is the sort of game that is badly needed in football. Good evening's entertainment. I doubt if anyone didn't enjoy it. Big crowd, as usual the Galway support was well outnumbered on home turf.

Roscommon were deserving winners. Galway missed the window of opportunity early in the 2nd half when they kicked a couple of bad wides when 2 points up.

Unfortunately the lack of quality backs in the county shows little sign of improving. Granted it was a good Roscommon forward division but 2 of the goals were far too soft especially the first which got Roscommon a foothold.

The tactic of kicking direct into Comer was effective enough but when Roscommon put 3 on him in the 2nd half we didn't respond by getting the bodies in and around him to do any damage.

Roscommon won't go down as badly as they did last year in the AI series and will put up a decent score against anyone but Galway exposed plenty of frailties they'll have to fix if they want to progress any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Unfortunately the lack of quality backs in the county shows little sign of improving.

To be fair Liam Silke did a great job on Enda Smith (who went scoreless). The rest not so much. Both defences were under pressure to be honest.

Roscommon crowded out Comer effectively (even though he still got 1-1 from play. I imagine Roscommon would have almost settled for that beforehand). Galway became a bit too predictable looking for him when he was surrounded.

Still disappointing a lose a final even though they went in as big underdogs. I'm sure the lads themselves would have expected to win and they could well have had one or two little things gone their way. They were a lot closer to Roscommon this year than most expected they would be early on.

Hard to be optimistic or pessimistic ahead of this game. Galway's unpredictable HUrling form is starting to rub off on the footballers. A win is required to stay safe, and while there is a possibility of going up I think we would be better served playing in competitive games rather than being out of our depth next year. I think Down and Roscommon will get promoted. Both teams have given great performances this league and deserve it. Going to be interesting to see how many U21's are on the team given the absorbing battle they had yesterday. Best of Luck anway.

Obviously promotion was a massive outsider but at HT there was a sniff of it.

Galway up by 6, Westmeath still in touch with Roscommon, Down winning and Cavan and Meath with a draw still on.

The second half collapse looks a possibility again, another bad restart.

Galway 3-12 Kildare 1-12

Not the best 2nd half performance yet again after dominating the first half. Kildare also missed a penalty. Good at least to finish the league with two wins. I'm pretty certain Galway would have been promoted had they had the Corofin players for the entire league rather than just the last two games but sure you can only play with the cards you are dealt. Threw away a few games in the middle of the league. Had they won one of those games they narrowly lost they would have gone up.

Overall I think the team is on the up though but have learn to play for 70 minutes rather than just 35 or 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway 3-12 Kildare 1-12

Not the best 2nd half performance yet again after dominating the first half. Kildare also missed a penalty. Good at least to finish the league with two wins. I'm pretty certain Galway would have been promoted had they had the Corofin players for the entire league rather than just the last two games but sure you can only play with the cards you are dealt. Threw away a few games in the middle of the league. Had they won one of those games they narrowly lost they would have gone up.

Overall I think the team is on the up though but have learn to play for 70 minutes rather than just 35 or 60.

Probably another year of playing kick pass with the 2nd tier teams though as we don't seem to have used the league to put even a semblence of a defence together. Individually we don't have great defenders but surely we should have been able to garner something that was more than the sum of its parts in the last 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Happy with that. Some cop-on against Laois and Cavan and they'd be up ahead of the Rossies.

O'Curraoin was outstanding and just dominated midfield on his own. Breathnach had a super game, his kickouts vastly improved. Some other decent showings but they didn't pull away till Lundy was brought further out and could run at the backs. Himself and Sice looked a bit jaded so hopefully a break will do them good. Silke was a good cameo. Walsh's goal was well taken but some handy points were missed after his second. Comer could be a huge loss. Stretchered off and everything.

Anybody know which Kildare player swung at Paddy Sweeney?

Hopefully Comer is not too bad. Quickly turning into a very important player for Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Jesus that's tough on the lad. We played Murtagh for about 45 minutes today, as well as Enda Smith getting close to a half and Harney making a very signifcant contribution too. Teams asking a lot of talented young lads, probably too much honestly.

Hopefully Comer is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

Syferus wrote: »
    Jesus that's tough on the lad. We played Murtagh for about 45 minutes today, as well as Enda Smith getting close to a half and Harney making a very signifcant contribution too. Teams asking a lot of talented young lads, probably too much honestly.

Hopefully Comer is ok.

More of the genius minds behind gaa fixtures at work. Imagine how great this organisation could be if they could get, well...organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

Great win despite the nervous ending. Thought Breathnach the 2 corner backs o curraoin and pSweeney were superb. Heard conroy got motm on galway bay and couldn't believe it wasnt one of the few i mentioned. What struck me was Kildare were able to score points from distance whereas we needed to work it in more to score. Hope comer is ok has had a tough few days. Championship team is lookin like this going by today
    Breathnach
    Duane
    Hanley
    Sweeney
    Silke
    Bradshaw
    O Donnel
    O Curraoin
    Flynn
    Sice
    Conroy
    Denvir
    Lundy
    Sweeney
    O Griofa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Syferus wrote: »

Hopefully Comer is ok.

It is asking too much. In fairness to Galway, they didnt start either of their U21s and only brought them on when they felt they needed them. Unfortunately for Comer, he took an unlucky bang to the face a few minutes later.
    Thought Breathnach the 2 corner backs o curraoin and pSweeney were superb. Heard conroy got motm on galway bay and couldn't believe it wasnt one of the few i mentioned. W

Really? I thought Duane was absolutely cleaned out of it. Not really his fault as there was lots of space in front of him and his man. In that situation, not much a corner back can do... But nowhere near MOTM for me. When Galway brought Liam Silke on, he was positioned in front of Duane to prevent that ball being played in.

For me, Shane Walsh was easily Galway's best player. Conroy would being 2nd. Conroys kick passing can be as good as anybodys at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Great win despite the nervous ending. Thought Breathnach the 2 corner backs o curraoin and pSweeney were superb. Heard conroy got motm on galway bay and couldn't believe it wasnt one of the few i mentioned. What struck me was Kildare were able to score points from distance whereas we needed to work it in more to score. Hope comer is ok has had a tough few days. Championship team is lookin like this going by today
    Breathnach
    Duane
    Hanley
    Sweeney
    Silke
    Bradshaw
    O Donnel
    O Curraoin
    Flynn
    Sice
    Conroy
    Denvir
    Lundy
    Sweeney
    O Griofa

From what ive been hearing Comer has been Galways standout player in training and a player theyre very excited about. He's a Championship starter for sure I think if the injury's not too bad. Walsh has been training well and his spell on the bench is more to do with him not getting his head around tactics than anything else. Talk of him being an inside forward.

My best guess of a forward line:

Sice, Conroy, Lundy
    (O'Griofa/Sweeney/Cummins), Comer, Walsh

Would also be incredibly harsh to drop Paul Varley out of the half back line. O'Donnell's a leader, but id still suspect he could be the one to go if Silke proves too good not to play. Varley's the best young back we have

That forward line looks more dangerous and prolific. Think Sice conroy Lundy comer are definite and the last 2 spots between cummins Sweeney o griofa Burke varley. Cant see martin or hoare being starters. Decent competition for places though. Does anyone know where joss moore and john o brien are gone?

Division 2 next year:

Armagh
    Cavan
    Derry
    Fermanagh
    Galway
    Laois
    Meath
    Tyrone

Should be a very eciting division but it's a long way away.

Looking to the Championship its a tough call for name a team with the backs possibly the easiest to chose.

Goalkeepper
    Manus Breathnach is the only goalkeepper to prove himself during the league as far as I'm concerned. The others have shown what they can do but are not up to the level yet.

Defence
    Duane, Hanley, Sweeney, Silke, Bradshaw and O'Donnell are the most likely to get the nodd here in that order. But perhaps the team would be best served by reserving one of them on the bench to make an impact when they come in. Paul Varley will have a good shout as will Johnny Heaney who had a good season with the U21's and was unfortunate not to get more game time.

Midfield
    Five names pop-up here for me, Tom Flynn, Fintáin Ó Curraoin, Paul COnroy, Michael Day and Enda Tierney are great players at fielding and good at winning primary possession from the kcik-out. I imagine Flynn and ÓC will get the 8 and 9 jerseys and COnroy is likely to be called up to the forwards but I think Day and Tierney will add depth to the bench in the event of injury of the main contenders.

Forwards
    Ooo how exciting it is to pick a forward line, and also how frustrating. So many good players and only 6 places. Comer, Lundy, Conroy, Denvir, Sice, Varley, Martin, Walsh, O Gríofa, Cummins, Farragher, Sweeney and Hoare are the stand out names for the forwards - 13 on total!! I suppose you start with Comer at 14 and have O Gríofa and most likely Cummins playing off him. Denvir has proven himself as more of a runner and ball supplier and distributer rather than a scorer and should hold a wing forward spot. Walsh has been good in his appearences and wil likely get a spot in the half forward line but it could be a battle between him and Lundy for one starting spot. Paul COnroy has been outstanding but my reckoning and deserves a spot most likely at 11. Then what do you do with Sice who since coming back has been exceptional or Sweeney who has been consistent?? Tough calls!!

So thats:

1. M. Breathnach
    2. J. Duane
    3. F. Hanley
    4. C. Sweeney
    5. L. Silke
    6. G. Bradshaw
    7. G. O'Donnell
    8. F. Ó Curraoin
    9. T. Flynn
    10. S. Walsh
    11. P. Conroy
    12. S. Denvir/M. Lundy
    13. D. Cummins
    14. D. Comer
    15. P. O Gríofa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Nice post. Although I think Sice is a complete certainty for a starting berth. The team is short on experience, which he provides. Lundy aswell due to his amazing club campaign, and being our best performer last year.

Looking at D2 next year, looks like the Ulster championship! Be weird playing so many games on foreign soil. Hopefully the exchange rate improves

T0001 wrote: »
    Division 2 next year:

Armagh
    Cavan
    Derry
    Fermanagh
    Galway
    Laois
    Meath
    Tyrone

Should be a very eciting division but it's a long way away.

Looking to the Championship its a tough call for name a team with the backs possibly the easiest to chose.

Goalkeepper
    Manus Breathnach is the only goalkeepper to prove himself during the league as far as I'm concerned. The others have shown what they can do but are not up to the level yet.

Defence
    Duane, Hanley, Sweeney, Silke, Bradshaw and O'Donnell are the most likely to get the nodd here in that order. But perhaps the team would be best served by reserving one of them on the bench to make an impact when they come in. Paul Varley will have a good shout as will Johnny Heaney who had a good season with the U21's and was unfortunate not to get more game time.

Midfield
    Five names pop-up here for me, Tom Flynn, Fintáin Ó Curraoin, Paul COnroy, Michael Day and Enda Tierney are great players at fielding and good at winning primary possession from the kcik-out. I imagine Flynn and ÓC will get the 8 and 9 jerseys and COnroy is likely to be called up to the forwards but I think Day and Tierney will add depth to the bench in the event of injury of the main contenders.

Forwards
    Ooo how exciting it is to pick a forward line, and also how frustrating. So many good players and only 6 places. Comer, Lundy, Conroy, Denvir, Sice, Varley, Martin, Walsh, O Gríofa, Cummins, Farragher, Sweeney and Hoare are the stand out names for the forwards - 13 on total!! I suppose you start with Comer at 14 and have O Gríofa and most likely Cummins playing off him. Denvir has proven himself as more of a runner and ball supplier and distributer rather than a scorer and should hold a wing forward spot. Walsh has been good in his appearences and wil likely get a spot in the half forward line but it could be a battle between him and Lundy for one starting spot. Paul COnroy has been outstanding but my reckoning and deserves a spot most likely at 11. Then what do you do with Sice who since coming back has been exceptional or Sweeney who has been consistent?? Tough calls!!

So thats:

1. M. Breathnach
    2. J. Duane
    3. F. Hanley
    4. C. Sweeney
    5. L. Silke
    6. G. Bradshaw
    7. G. O'Donnell
    8. F. Ó Curraoin
    9. T. Flynn
    10. S. Walsh
    11. P. Conroy
    12. S. Denvir/M. Lundy
    13. D. Cummins
    14. D. Comer
    15. P. O Gríofa

I agree with the backs.

In midfield, I think it will be Conroy & O'Curraoin. Flynn will have missed some very crucial weeks through injury and not sure he will be up to championship speed. Great option to bring on though.

I disagree with the forwards. I think it will be:

10. Sice - thought he was absolutely superb today. Always looking for the ball, getting stuck in, tracking back, laying the ball off quickly

11. Walsh - felt he was our best player today. Very busy, working hard.

12. Denvir - I'd be very doubtful if he is up to it at championship. Certainly would need to improve from his previous championship appearances. Personally, I would love to see Michael Farragher in this position.

13. O'Griofa: Very impressive in the last couple of matches.

14. Comer - Has emerged as our best player this year.

15. Lundy - For Corofin, he was most effective running directly at full back lines. So I would leave him in full forward line. He also has the ability to drop deeper if needed.

I am much less confident of Galways chances against Mayo this year after todays performance. Galway gave away far too many goal chances that will be punished by stronger teams. In saying that, Kevin Walsh rectified the situation a little bit by getting Silke to sit in front of the full back line.

I wouldn't disagree with Flynn not starting but think cummins should start ahead of Denvir and put Lundy at half forward. Denvir can't score whereas all the other forwards can. He would probably be better as a half back if he was to play anywhere

Conroy really doesn't compete enough in midfield IMO. At least with Flynn in there there's two targets to bomb kickouts at. Keep Conroy up in the half-forwards.

I wouldn't disagree with Flynn not starting but think cummins should start ahead of Denvir and put Lundy at half forward. Denvir can't score whereas all the other forwards can. He would probably be better as a half back if he was to play anywhere

Wouldnt have Cummins in there. He just misses too much. In championship football, you might get away with missing 2 chances. You wont get away with missing 3 or 4 chances before you score. Again, a good option on the bench.

Conroy really doesn't compete enough in midfield IMO. At least with Flynn in there there's two targets to bomb kickouts at. Keep Conroy up in the half-forwards.

I'd agree about Conroy not competing enough. But I feel he does bring a lot of quality to the midfield area, particularly with the quality of ball that he feeds into the forwards. I am not sure we would get that from him if he was in the HF line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Todd_Unctious

Was at the game in Tuam, good performance, but really have to put it into perspective as Kildare were pathetic.
    From 8 to 15 we're in pretty good shape, but at the back very loose, naive and sloppy at times. Still baffled as to why we haven't some defensive plan in place at this stage.

For what its worth my stab at a championship 15

1. M. Breathnach
    2. C. McGrath
    3. F. Hanley
    4. C. Sweeney
    5. L. Silke
    6. G. Bradshaw
    7. G. Sice
    8. F. Ó Curraoin
    9. T. Flynn
    10. S. Walsh
    11. P. Conroy
    12. Mi. Farragher
    13. M. Lundy
    14. D. Comer
    15. P. O Gríofa

• Advertisement

Galway 3-12 Kildare 1-12

Would agree with this. Totally in control at half time having missed 3 other good goal chances but then we let Kildare back within 3 points in the opening 10-12 minutes after the interval to give them hope. We got a fortunate goal after poor Kildare defending and that kind of killed it off but if we hadn't got that goal, we could easily have suffered another self-inflicted defeat.

We can't keep expecting to get results playing in patches. Right from the off in the league it has been this kind of patchy display. We'll probably get away with a patchy performance for the first 2 rounds but to have any hope against Mayo we can't fade out of the game for long stretches like we are doing at present. The fact this has happened against pretty much every team in division 2 worries me ahead of a game against such a team like Mayo who are streets ahead of most of the division 2 teams.

Don't really know what's going on in Kildare, they have gone from best of the rest well down the pecking order in the last 2/3 years. They were slipping under McGeeney in his final year or so but despite some good underage teams they were poor today and really Galway should have won by a lot more. I'm sure a lot of their own supporters will nearly hope Laois beat them in the quarter final. Its not an exaggeration to say that Dublin could easily shove 7 or 8 goals past them in the semi-final.

Comer and Silke shouldn't have played for me today (especially Comer as he took a lot of heavy hits on Saturday). Damien Comer is a fine player but on top of the demands of the senior and u21 he was only coming off a campaign with Annaghdown in the hurling. We need to be realistic about what we can expect off young players. The long term welfare of the players should always take precedence over the short term goal of league points.

Anyway an up and down league. Sometimes up and down in the same game. Overall I think there are more positive signs than negative though. I think we almost certainly would have been promoted if we had the Corofin players for the entire league. Down, Roscommon and Meath were the top 3 teams and we beat all of them apart from Down (and we dominated 90% of that match up in Newry and should have won that game). Shows how tight the margins were in the division.

Galway probably have more options up front now that they have had in a decade. It's actually difficult to pick a front 6. You have to pick from Comer, Lundy, Conroy, Denvir, Sice, Adrian Varley, Martin, Walsh, Ian Burke, O'Gríofa, Cummins, Farragher, Patrick Sweeney and Hoare The only question is getting the right mix and balance.

Midfield looks well set with O'Curraoin, Flynn, Conroy, Steede and Michael Day is a great prospect at U-21. O'Curraoin was magnificent for much of the league but the two quiet games he had were against Cavan and Laois which also happened to be two games we lost. Shows his influence on the team overall. Flynn unfortunately missed most of the league but should be back soon.

At the back is when things get a bit more sketchy. Liam Silke is a welcome addition to the half-back line. A fine young player. However I'm not sure what the plan is if Hanley were to get injured? With Forde having done his cruciate we seem very thin at full-back. Hopefully Joss Moore can come back from injury as I feel he's a really good player when he's fit. I'd wonder about Bradshaw at 6 as well. He's always been a player who's better going forward than back and he's never had good defensive instincts. Also the corner backs are not exactly convincing so far although they don't tend to get too much protection.

The goalkeeping position has been a bit of a revolving door although I think Breathnach has been the most consistent and probably deserves to be number 1 for the moment.

On the negative side we have had a tendency all during the league to play some absolutely brilliant football for a while and then just switch off. Just can't do that against the better teams in the country during the Summer as they will make hay. We are also giving away too many goal chances. Even against Kildare when Galway were much the better side, Kildare still missed a penalty and Breathnach had to make at least two good saves. It always seems like we leave too much free space in front of the full-back line which forces Hanley or a corner-back out leaving a gap behind them. I think we can match Mayo point for point but I'd worry that they will sneak in for 2 or 3 goals unless we tighten up in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Was at the game in Tuam, good performance, but really have to put it into perspective as Kildare were pathetic.
    From 8 to 15 we're in pretty good shape, but at the back very loose, naive and sloppy at times. Still baffled as to why we haven't some defensive plan in place at this stage.

For what its worth my stab at a championship 15

1. M. Breathnach
    2. C. McGrath
    3. F. Hanley
    4. C. Sweeney
    5. L. Silke
    6. G. Bradshaw
    7. G. Sice
    8. F. Ó Curraoin
    9. T. Flynn
    10. S. Walsh
    11. P. Conroy
    12. Mi. Farragher
    13. M. Lundy
    14. D. Comer
    15. P. O Gríofa

Now you're talking. Think our 2 starting wing backs yesterday are scarcely good enough, O'Donnell anyway, and I'm not entirely convinced about our corner-backs either. Think McGrath is probably better than either. You might see Conroy at midfield with Flynn/Tierney/Michael Day(?) at wing-forward as an auxiliary midfielder, a-la Bergin 2001. Good and all as P Sweeney has been in the league, I still think he lacks the top pace needed for c'ship, plus his touch seems a slight heavy on occasion. Would like to see Ian Burke get a bit of game time, great promise shown at club level and U-21 couple of seasons back.

MfMan wrote: »
    Now you're talking. Think our 2 starting wing backs yesterday are scarcely good enough, O'Donnell anyway, and I'm not entirely convinced about our corner-backs either. Think McGrath is probably better than either. You might see Conroy at midfield with Flynn/Tierney/Michael Day(?) at wing-forward as an auxiliary midfielder, a-la Bergin 2001. Good and all as P Sweeney has been in the league, I still think he lacks the top pace needed for c'ship, plus his touch seems a slight heavy on occasion. Would like to see Ian Burke get a bit of game time, great promise shown at club level and U-21 couple of seasons back.

O'Donnell is deserving of a start these days. He has done well for Galway this year and last. He's a bit of a Dirk Kuyt figure - he was given so many chances that he bound to come good eventually! I cannot think of who you could play WB instead of him.
    I'd wonder about Bradshaw at 6 as well.

I'd be worried about him too. Doesn't seem to have the presence to command at number 6. But again, hard to think of alternatives. I would be inclined to swap O'Donnell and Bradshaw maybe.

Bradshaw was one of the only good players against Mayo last year. Think there's weaker links than him in the backs. Duane hasn't ever really had a stellar performance at senior IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

O'Donnell is deserving of a start these days. He has done well for Galway this year and last. He's a bit of a Dirk Kuyt figure - he was given so many chances that he bound to come good eventually! I cannot think of who you could play WB instead of him.

Can't agree. In the games I've seen, he's been poor since the Cavan match; doesn't attack with conviction, (e.g. made a good break forward last Sunday in the first half, took it into contact and conceded possession, also sent wide a good chance v Roscommon), doesn't defend particularly well either and doesn't play with much pace. Don't make the mistake in thinking that there's no-one better than him available; as stated Silke or Sice are probably better footballers.

MfMan wrote: »
    Can't agree. In the games I've seen, he's been poor since the Cavan match; doesn't attack with conviction, (e.g. made a good break forward last Sunday in the first half, took it into contact and conceded possession, also sent wide a good chance v Roscommon), doesn't defend particularly well either and doesn't play with much pace. Don't make the mistake in thinking that there's no-one better than him available; as stated Silke or Sice are probably better footballers.

Yeah, but then you are playing Sice in a position that he really hasn't played much in recently. I'd much prefer him in the HF line. Silke looks a quality player to me and would be the first name on the HB line.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Yeah, but then you are playing Sice in a position that he really hasn't played much in recently. I'd much prefer him in the HF line. Silke looks a quality player to me and would be the first name on the HB line.

With loads of forwards Sice should be in the half backs, I would also chance Conroy at no 6, Bradshaw leaving the panal as captain and going to the US after the mayo trashing was a disgrace, I wouldn't have him in the stand!

crusier wrote: »
    With loads of forwards Sice should be in the half backs, I would also chance Conroy at no 6, Bradshaw leaving the panal as captain and going to the US after the mayo trashing was a disgrace, I wouldn't have him in the stand!

Hmm, Conroy is a player of scoring points from the 40 - 50 yard line out. So I wouldnt be inclined to move him further away from the opposition goal. Also, if you are going to try a radical change like that, it should be tried in league, not going into championship.

Time to forgive Bradshaw for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Hmm, Conroy is a player of scoring points from the 40 - 50 yard line out. So I wouldnt be inclined to move him further away from the opposition goal. Also, if you are going to try a radical change like that, it should be tried in league, not going into championship.

Time to forgive Bradshaw for that!

Centre backs have been known to pick off the odd point too, but the defending comes first , if we have an abundance of forwards then I think its a real option, if he did turn into a good center back I reckon it would change that team dramatically for the better and help the full back line as well, I'd have McGrath and Sweeney in the corners, I can't forgive Bradshaw I'd forgive him sooner if he had played for mayo last season

"To mark the official opening of Skerries’ Harps new clubhouse, Dublin will face Galway in a SF challenge on Sunday week, April 19 at 2pm.

Admission is by ticket only with adult tickets costing €10 and U16 tickets free. U16s must be accompanied by an adult when receiving their ticket.

Tickets are on general sale on from the Skerries Harps clubhouse from 8pm each night. Skerries is the club of 2011 Dublin All-Ireland winning captain Bryan Cullen, who recently announced his inter-county retirement."

Anyone going that might give us a report afterwards??!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

I live up that direction so if I'm not home next weekend for club training/match I'll pop along for a look.

macslash wrote: »
    I live up that direction so if I'm not home next weekend for club training/match I'll pop along for a look.

Probably only half teams and possible the Dublin B team, but still worth seeing how the lads are.

Galway 1-16
    Dublin 1-16

Tbh it was more or less Galway's full team vs. Dublin's C team I'd say. I knew about 3 guys on Dublins team today. But still reassuring to get a game against a Div. 1 side regardless of the line-up

Galway 1-16
    Dublin 1-16

Tbh it was more or less Galway's full team vs. Dublin's C team I'd say. I knew about 3 guys on Dublins team today. But still reassuring to get a game against a Div. 1 side regardless of the line-up

Sean Currie; Mick Fitzsimons, Kevin Nolan, Eoin Culligan; Nicky Devereux, Darren Daly, Davy Byrne; Cian O’Sullivan, Tomas Brady; Emmet O Conghaile, Alan Brogan, Brian Fenton; Harry Dawson, Ciaran Reddin, Paddy Andrews.

I'd expect all those in bold to play some part in Dublin's championship this year.

1. Brian O'Donoghue (Claregalway)
    2. Paddy Naughton (Barna)...
    3. Finian Hanley (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
    4. Cathal Sweeney (Killannin)
    5. Sean Denvir (Micheal Breathnach)
    6. Johnny Duane (St James)
    7. Liam Silke (Corofin)
    8. Paul Conroy (St James)
    9. Fiontáin Ó Curraoin (Micheal Breathnach)
    10. Gary Sice (Corofin)
    11. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)
    12. Micheal Lundy (Corofin)
    13. Ian Burke (Corofin)
    14. Patrick Sweeney (Killannin)
    15. Danny Cummins (Claregalway)

I'd be doubtful if those bolded will be starting for Galway come championship.
    Breathnach, Bradshaw, O'Donnell, O'Griofa, Comer will be championship starters I think. If there is an alternative to Conroy in midfield available, Conroy will be in the forwards.

• Advertisement

Round Up of the First weekend of Senior Club Hurling Action

Group A –
    Craughwell 1-09 V Tommy Larkins 1-14
    Kilnadeema-Leitrim 1-16 V Liam Mellow 2-13

Group B –
    Gort 0-16 V Ardrahan 1-13
    Padraig Pearses 1-13 V Clarinbridge 0-12
    Athenry 0-14 V Kiltormer 1-04

Group C –
    Turloughmore 0-06 V Portumna 2-18
    Killimordaly 0-15 V Mullagh 1-12

Group D –
    Sarsfields 3-10 V Beagh 0-07
    Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry 0-14 V Loughrea 1-11

Round Up of the First weekend of Senior Club Hurling Action

Group A –
    Craughwell 1-09 V Tommy Larkins 1-14
    Kilnadeema-Leitrim 1-16 V Liam Mellow 2-13

Group B –
    Gort 0-16 V Ardrahan 1-13
    Padraig Pearses 1-13 V Clarinbridge 0-12
    Athenry 0-14 V Kiltormer 1-04

Group C –
    Turloughmore 0-06 V Portumna 2-18
    Killimordaly 0-15 V Mullagh 1-12

Group D –
    Sarsfields 3-10 V Beagh 0-07
    Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry 0-14 V Loughrea 1-11

Big result there was Portumna's win. Expected that to be a tight game but they continue to prove that they are still serious contenders. Group C also has St. Thomas' in it so may be difficult to qualify for Turloughmore after that result.

Castlegar beat Carnmore comfortably enough yesterday evening to add to the list of scores above.

Clarinbridge continue to decline. Loughrea will probably grind their way into the last 8 again. Lots of tight games. Hard to call a winner again this year.

Castlegar beat Carnmore comfortably enough yesterday evening to add to the list of scores above.

DO you know the score, I couldn't find it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

DO you know the score, I couldn't find it :(

Cashel 1-18
    Carmore 0-13

Galway team v NY

Brian O'Donoghue
    Johnny Duane
    Finian Hanley
    Cathal Sweeney
    Liam Silke
    Gary O'Donnell
    Sean Denvir
    Fiontán Ó Curraoin
    Paul Conroy (Capt)
    Gary Sice
    Shane Walsh
    Michael Lundy
    Peadar Óg O'Gríofa
    Patrick Sweeney
    Danny Cummins

Subs

Tom Healy
    Gareth Bradshaw
    Ian Burke
    Damien Comer
    Adrian Varley
    Tom Flynn
    Paul Varley
    Eddie Hoare
    Declan Coyne
    Michael Martin
    Paddy Naughton
    Conor Healy
    Tom Fahy

Manus Breathnach nowhere to be seen. Presume he has an injury.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement