Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Financial troubles

Options
  • 09-02-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

So I have recently moved out of home after getting the "Adjacent maintenance" grant which was around 2,300€, I had to wait until the end of January to get this after starting college last September, missed a lot of college because I had to be up at 6.30 to get a bus which stopped ~20 miles from my home and cost me €48 a week.

My monthly grant of €238 barely covers my rent of €220, if not for the back payment I received I would not be able to afford to live here for the next 3/4 months. (Food, heating, college costs etc)., I do not intend to move home during the summer or next year and will be looking for part-time work until summer, and full-time work during summer.

If I cannot find work, will I be able to sign on the dole during summer? I have no savings. Also since the grant took more than 5 months to arrive this year, what will I do next year while waiting for it ?

Is there anything I can apply for to alleviate my financial strain? Rent allowance, appeal for a higher grant payment, etc. ?
    I have moved from my parents' house and get no financial support from them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I think you're considered dependent whether or not you live at home, IF you are under 23, so you aren't eligible for the independent living grant.

No you can't claim dole over the summer, or rent allowance. There aren't really many options, except move home or find a job.

Actually you could ask Student Welfare if they have grants for people in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

brozman wrote: »
    If I cannot find work, will I be able to sign on the dole during summer?

No, anyone enrolled in full time education is not entitled to the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deise80

Hi everyone

I am in urgent need of a cash loan ASAP, I am in full time employment and can make weekly repayments, does anyone know of a money lender or anyone in Cork who can help me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Deise80 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am in urgent need of a cash loan ASAP, I am in full time employment and can make weekly repayments, does anyone know of a money lender or anyone in Cork who can help me!

Seek advice from the Student services than go this route.
    IF you are in full time employment, you should go to a bank or credit union for a student loan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 historyfan

Yes Credit Union is a better bet, definitely avoid money lenders, I know of cases where people have ran into trouble

• Advertisement
Advertisement