Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will get the most individual first preferences in the country?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

Who do you think will individually get the most first preference votes in the country. Previously Bertie was a huge vote getter, and Willie O'Dea and Brian Cowen got huge personal votes. 2 of them are gone and Willie probably has lost a large chunk, so who will be the number 1 vote getter this time. Probably won't be Enda as the plan to get 4 seats in Mayo will mean careful vote management.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Gerry Adams?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Gerry Adams id say he has the vote no 1 factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

Adams wont even get the highest number of first preferences in Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RugGol

I suspect either Gerry Adams or Enda Kenny

Adams for 3 reasons
    - His High Profile / popularity in Louth
    - because he is in a 5 seater which will only be electing 4 TD's ie Greater ratio of voters to seats
    - No other Big name in that constituancy

Kenny for 2 reasons
    - His High profile / popularity in Mayo
    - because he is in a 5 seater with relatively small number of candidates (15)

Perhaps FG have tried to strategise in Mayo to get 3 seats - in which case his personal tally will be down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭leche solara

RugGol wrote: »
    Kenny for 2 reasons

Perhaps FG have tried to strategise in Mayo to get 3 seats - in which case his personal tally will be down

FG are trying to vote manage Mayo to get 4 seats, so I would say for that reason Kenny won't be the highest in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 TGQ

Shane Ross in Dublin South will get the highest No 1's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Eamon Gilmore in DL, highest approval rating of any party leader.

Among younger candidates, possibility of Damien English (FG) coming out well in Meath West, a relatively fresh face likely to find ministry in a "fresh" government, and the 12 other candidates contesting the constituency are all mind-numbingly uninspiring.

Pearse Doherty has steered Sinn Féin's boat for 3 months since he joined the lower chamber, I'd imagine the DSW electorate will come out strong in favour of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Rabbitte, Gilmore or Ross.

I'll go for Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Michael Lowry - Tipp North. Place always has a highest tournout. He'd get into bed with either FF or FG. He does a lot for the area etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

RugGol wrote: »
    I suspect either Gerry Adams or Enda Kenny

Adams for 3 reasons
    - His High Profile / popularity in Louth
    - because he is in a 5 seater which will only be electing 4 TD's ie Greater ratio of voters to seats
    - No other Big name in that constituancy

Kenny for 2 reasons

You obviously know very little about the Louth constituency.

Gerry Adams wont come even close to topping the poll in Louth. Fergus O'Dowd will come first easily.

Gerry will stuggle into the last seat and could even lose out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

darragh16 wrote: »
    Michael Lowry - Tipp North. Place always has a highest tournout. He'd get into bed with either FF or FG. He does a lot for the area etc. etc.

+1 for the Michael Lowry

Plus other candidates in the area aren't much good, no competition at all

Tipp North usually has one of the highest turnouts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

finty wrote: »

Gerry Adams wont come even close to topping the poll in Louth. Fergus O'Dowd will come first easily.

Adams got 37% of the first preference vote in a recent poll in Louth, almost 2 quotas so I think he may be the national poll topper.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Luke "Ming" Flanagan is doing exceptionally well in Roscommon-South Leitrim on the boards pole. Has 3 times the first preference vote of the second candidate. Definitely in with a shout.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Adams got 37% of the first preference vote in a recent poll in Louth, almost 2 quotas so I think he may be the national poll topper.

Source??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

finty wrote: »

louth ( courteousy of dundalk ) is the 2nd strongest shinner county in the country , i seriously doubt gerry adams will fail to win a seat , especially as arthur morgan is not running

irishh_bob wrote: »
    louth ( courteousy of dundalk ) is the 2nd strongest shinner county in the country , i seriously doubt gerry adams will fail to win a seat , especially as arthur morgan is not running

Can you back that point up?
    I dont know the stats about any other counties.

In the 2007 election Arthur Morgan got the final seat without making the quota, hardly a stronghold.

The Sinn Fein vote will vote Sinn Fein.

However, Sinn Fein's difficulty attracting transfers has been exacerbated by the animosity towards Adams being parachuted in from Belfast add to that the McConville factor and he could struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

SafeSurfer wrote: »

he won't even get elected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Enda should be the biggest. varadkar will do well too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

upmeath wrote: »
    Eamon Gilmore in DL, highest approval rating of any party leader.
    He's not all that popular in the constituency though. He's actually never yet managed to get the first seat, but probably will get that at least this time, mainly because FG are managing their votes to get Mary Mitchell O'Connor in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Adams wont even get the highest number of first preferences in Louth.

First preference votes Adams 15,072.

Looks like you got it wrong. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement