Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers in Computing/IT/Software

Options
  • 21-07-2014 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi

Let me start by saying I haven't posted anything on here since I made this back in 10' so go easy.

Well, I'm at at stage were quite frankly I don't know what the **** to be doing with my life. I'm 18 and I am a student in Dublin Institute of Technology at the moment doing Buildings Management which is a 2 year course that will award me with a higher certificate. The course is a FETAC level 6. I have recently decided that this course isn't for me and whilst it is relatively easy going and I have had no problems with my exams or anything, I just can't see myself making a career out of it.

I have started looking into IT and found it quite interesting. As far back as I can remember I've always been good with a computer and understood how to use them so I recently started learned a few basics in programming languages such as C++ and Python and found it quite appealing to me.

The big question for me is: Is it worth getting into?
    I am considering leaving my course to do a level 5 course in Computer Programming which includes some great stuff such as programming languages and computer architecture. This might look like a step back (Level 6 > Level 5) but I still feel I would be in the same position to study for a degree of some sort next year either way. I know DIT do Degrees in Computer Science and have FETAC entry links with some of the further education colleges which offer Computer Programming.

Also I've read A LOT around the internet that some of the most successful programmers and engineers have never been to college (of course we all know the big ones like Gates and Jobs) but even on a smaller scale like here in Ireland & UK. I've read that in IT at least, experience is better than any degree out there. Which also leads me to ask, if I went on to study this computer programming course for a year and learned a particular language well enough would this be enough to get my foot in the door of some IT company as a junior programmer or something?

Like for e.g the job that is listed here: http: //www. irishjobs. ie/Jobs/Graduate-JavaC-Developer-7352783.aspx

(Note: I had to put three spaces in the link because I'm a new user and cannot upload any links).

Any information at all here is welcome and sorry for making this post so long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DIT has a very capable School Of Computing. Do it I'd say.

Unless you go into a startup you are very unlikely to get an interview without a degree. The degree gets you past CV screening and experience gets you the job. The degree doesnt even matter (lots of googlers have physics degrees or maths degrees, not CS) really, but the fact that you have one proves a level of commitment and dependability that employers want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ED E wrote: »
    DIT has a very capable School Of Computing. Do it I'd say.

Unless you go into a startup you are very unlikely to get an interview without a degree. The degree gets you past CV screening and experience gets you the job. The degree doesnt even matter (lots of googlers have physics degrees or maths degrees, not CS) really, but the fact that you have one proves a level of commitment and dependability that employers want.

I agree with ED E, but at least 2 years experience is key after having spoken to a number of employers.

If you feel passionate about it and you are willing to go into it, do the course. I don't think rushing through college for 1 year and learning 1 language to get a job is a good idea. It might be advisable to at least get a Higher Certificate out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dean.

Thanks for the quick reply lads. You see, that's what I'm confused about. It's probably a stupid question but how do I gain experience from working in computer programming if I can't get a job in computer programming without experience?? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Dean. wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply lads. You see, that's what I'm confused about. It's probably a stupid question but how do I gain experience from working in computer programming if I can't get a job in computer programming without experience?? lol

Thats the hurdle. Some projects you worked on yourself or helping out with something like a bigger project or open source helps. The idea is to show that it is something you enjoy doing and can focus yourself on a task.

No idea how more difficult it would be to get a job without a level 8. What I would look into doing if I was in your situation is maybe do the level 5, look around for a job but if no luck then get a degree if possible,

Thats the hurdle. Some projects you worked on yourself or helping out with something like a bigger project or open source helps. The idea is to show that it is something you enjoy doing and can focus yourself on a task.

No idea how more difficult it would be to get a job without a level 8. What I would look into doing if I was in your situation is maybe do the level 5, look around for a job but if no luck then get a degree if possible,

So can experience be gained from projects I take part in in college also? And yeah I agree I think that is what I am planning on doing for now at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

So can experience be gained from projects I take part in in college also? And yeah I agree I think that is what I am planning on doing for now at least!

Have you considered a longer course? Something like a 4 year level 8? If you're choosing the level 5 because you're not sure if it will be the right fit for you then I suggest trying to learn a programming language using any of the countless tutorials online.

If you do not have long left on your current level 6 I'd suggest sticking with it and then going for a different course perhaps?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

A lot of college courses work with IT companies for students to work with them over the summer, most have work placement etc, then students do their own projects. It all adds up.

Have you considered a longer course? Something like a 4 year level 8? If you're choosing the level 5 because you're not sure if it will be the right fit for you then I suggest trying to learn a programming language using any of the countless tutorials online.

If you do not have long left on your current level 6 I'd suggest sticking with it and then going for a different course perhaps?

Yes DIT offer the full 4 year honors degree course but you can leave in 3rd year to obtain a ordinary degree. I think I should change now rather then finish this course and regretting not made a different decision earlier. See if I finished this course it would not qualify me to do Computer Science in DIT (or any other college) because it's not relative to it but if I do the level 5 for a year it would give me the required components to enter Computer Science through the FETAC level entry scheme.

Advertisement