Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riverwalk or student accommodation questions

• 16-06-2014 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Im going to Waterford IT this September for 2nd year and Id like to
    know what Riverwalk is like. Ive only seen that site but doesn't give me all the answers i need. Can someone whose stayed there before or been there
    give me a decent review of the place ? I'd really like to know what their policy on over night guests is and is the internet decent enough for gaming ?
    and also how are the roomates allocated ?

Or if riverwalk is not decent could anyone recommend a better place ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Riverwalk is a good spot. It would be my first choice for 1st years. Wired Fast broadband thats fine for Gaming. Your own large double ensuite room for about 60 a week. Can have girlfriends or whatever stay for weeks no problem. Just not 5 mates overnight at a time for obvious reasons but its grand for a session. Also secure and no chance of being burgled. Thats a huge benefit as Waterford has one of the highest burglary rates in Ireland now.

I think you get a preference form when applying for roommates as in would you like a smoker/non smoker. Boy / Girl. Not sure what else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The only problem you are going to face with river walk is that there is no bus up and down from college or town on a rain day.

So you are going to have to face the 10 + min walk in the rain to get to college.

I would strongly pick one of the ones closer in town like de bruin as the internet is wireless there and you can walk to town for a night out and if its raining the bus stop is a 2 min walk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A quick search will throw up a good bit of threads, and also this one:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057215373 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

Thanks everyone for the info, now I've just got to start making friends in wit and everything will be grand

Thanks everyone for the info, now I've just got to start making friends in wit and everything will be grand

No better way than moving in with a group of people in student apartments. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 areilly101

I definitely would not recommend riverwalk at all. yes its fine to have someone overnight but that depends on which block you live in. and there are serious consequences if you get caught. I lived there for my 1st year and it was awful... none of the showers stay hot for longer than 5 minutes and the place is always loud full of people banging on doors at 3 in the morning. Yes it may seem like a good idea to have less security but in my opinion its not, personally I saw a house party that got out of control quite quickly as people will just walk into your apartment with not a care in the world and security does nothing about it. Also if you complain about neighbours nothing is done, and to be honest the reception staff are unhelpful and totally rude. I know I seem like im just a pessimistic person but I really hated my time in riverwalk in 2013. I hope this is of help but Templars hall has the craic but is safe, has no visitor limitations and is closer to campus :)

Templars hall isnt great . Safe is the last word id use to describe it. Burglaries every single week without fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Templars hall isnt great . Safe is the last word id use to describe it. Burglaries every single week without fail

+1 on templers not being great. Have been told story's of houses being taking back by the bank with students still living in them.

I went to view houses there a few months ago the amount of students who left there front doors unlocked while they where sleeping in them.

Know a few houses that where broking into as well up there.

Some houses are just shocking up there when I was viewing there was ones with the table in pieces on the grand, another with some one else living in the room I was viewing with out the landlord haveing a clue, another with piss in the middle of the floor and looked like a boom went off in it

but there is some fantastic ones I lived in a fantastic one myself up there was maybe the best I seen up there. I also lived in another house before that but the housemate was a asshole and i had to move out because of him and i only stayed up there as it was the best of a bad bunch that i viewed

It's not the worst place to live tesco is only 5 mins up the road and 5 mins to college it's handy but there is Notting at all to do up there in the evening as it's a fair walk down to the town

People driving like spas up and down templers yelling random stuff and trowing stuff at people from out the windows. Cars being parked basically everywhere and extremely hard to even drive down a 2 line road with all the cars parked on the footpaths and so on the amount of times i had to walk on the road was crazy.

Bear bottles, brooking class, cans and rubbish everywhere in templers when you live your bin out your better hope some one dosint push it over as the amount of bins i used to see pushed over.

I could go on and on about the problems with the place i will be honest i won't live there again if you pay me.

They are going putting CCTV up all around templers if that will give you any idea of how bad it is up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For a 3 year old article this is after dating badly.

Things have improved ten-fold in Templars Hall really compared to 2010/11. The silent protests back in 2011 seemed to do a good job leading up to increased security and there's planning permission in place for CCTV on each street within.

The 'burglaries every week without fail' comment is laughable. Proof would be nice but not possible.

Speeding in the estate is a disappointing part of what I see there anyway, with people out (including children) playing football/hurling, and with cars going 40+km/h on roads like the ones there, it is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

callaway92 wrote: »

Things have improved ten-fold in Templars Hall really compared to 2010/11. The silent protests back in 2011 seemed to do a good job leading up to increased security and there's planning permission in place for CCTV on each street within.

The 'burglaries every week without fail' comment is laughable. Proof would be nice but not possible.

Speeding in the estate is a disappointing part of what I see there anyway, with people out (including children) playing football/hurling, and with cars going 40+km/h on roads like the ones there, it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Templars is still shocking. It's improved, but it's still a problem.

• Advertisement

The fact that the estate needs CCTV speaks for itself. Not even Ardmore park or Larchville has CCTV. Theres your proof its a filthy dump right there.

Sully wrote: »
    Templars is still shocking. It's improved, but it's still a problem.

Ah now, bit of a difference between "shocking" and "a problem". Having lived over 2 years there at this stage it has come on a lot; enough so to not have a "shocking" tagline surely.

Ah now, bit of a difference between "shocking" and "a problem". Having lived over 2 years there at this stage it has come on a lot; enough so to not have a "shocking" tagline surely.

Not from what I hear from residents, tbh. An effort was made to clamp down with security, strongly worded letters from the college and so on which made a different.

Best we just agree to disagree tbh.

Each to their own. If Prison Camp style CCTV overlooking your house, regular burglaries, patrols of people wearing yellow jackets keeping an eye on everyone and paths covered in parked cars and broken bottles and litter is acceptable then its a good spot to live. Some people would call that shocking. Others would say its just a small problem.

Personally id say if thats only a small problem then id hate to see your definition of a bad area.

Each to their own. If Prison Camp style CCTV overlooking your house, regular burglaries, patrols of people wearing yellow jackets keeping an eye on everyone and paths covered in parked cars and broken bottles and litter is acceptable then its a good spot to live. Some people would call that shocking. Others would say its just a small problem.

Personally id say if thats only a small problem then id hate to see your definition of a bad area.

Ah well, I spose ya I'll stick to my guns here but to be fair ye might know more families than I know there so you'd know more. Mind you, there's 2 families that I know of in my part of Templars Hall who I've gotten on very well with and seem to find living here fine (even with the serious negative equity included).

Again though, I am only speaking for about the front third of the whole estate.

EDIT: I didn't mention in any of my posts that pretty much every student I know that has lived in Templars Hall wanted to live there the next year too.

Are the Gypsy Wedding Travellers still living up the front there on the corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

The fact that the estate needs CCTV speaks for itself. Not even Ardmore park or Larchville has CCTV. Theres your proof its a filthy dump right there.

Your wrong both Ardmore park and Larchville have CCTV.

Your wrong both Ardmore park and Larchville have CCTV.

Theres a camera outside Ardmore alright but not in there. Never seen any in larchville. Whereabouts are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Theres a camera outside Ardmore alright but not in there. Never seen any in larchville. Whereabouts are they?

Well technically you are right about Ardmore park there are no cameras in there, the one outside is actually Ardmore terrace.

As for Larchville, there is definitely one on a pole in the big green in the middle of the estate, probably a few more around but I can't be sure at this point and time.

Well technically you are right about Ardmore park there are no cameras in there, the one outside is actually Ardmore terrace.

As for Larchville, there is definitely one on a pole in the big green in the middle of the estate, probably a few more around but I can't be sure at this point and time.

All the same that doesnt make it any better for Templars. If anything it just means they are all as bad as each other. Neither of them id aspire to live in and wouldnt recommend them. Fair enough youll get the exceptions and the odd house might be fine but as a rule of averages id say nine times out of ten your gonna get the same problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement