Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very mature student

Options
  • 18-03-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I,m considering going to WIT to study nursing as a mature student. I will be 47 starting the course. Am I mad to be considering this at my age? I would have a 85 mile round trip to college every day. Also whats the academic work load like? I'm worried that I would be over whelmed with the amount of study and assignments having been so long out of education.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

pinksnow wrote: »
    Hi,
    I,m considering going to WIT to study nursing as a mature student. I will be 47 starting the course. Am I mad to be considering this at my age? I would have a 85 mile round trip to college every day. Also whats the academic work load like? I'm worried that I would be over whelmed with the amount of study and assignments having been so long out of education.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

You are never to old to learn. Thats a very long journey and will end up costing you a lot of money. Have you applied threw the CAO? As far as I'm aware you have to sit a pre entry exam either in Cork or Dublin normally in April. If you are sucessfull then you will face an Interview. The nursing courses are in high demand so it can be tough trying to gain entry. But best of luck what ever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pinksnow

I haven't applied yet, too late for this year. Its just something I've always wanted to do. I don't know how I'd afford it anyway, it just keeps niggling at me, a lost dream I think! Thanks for your feedback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

What area are you interested in studying?

It is never too late.

If you are travelling from a town - you might be able to offer lifts to others to cut costs.

I'd like to do midwifery, which of course would mean further training but I wouldn't know for sure really until I'd had a bit of experience in the different areas of nursing. I could offer lifts that would help with the costs.....thats if my 14 year old car wouldn't die from the strain of it all! My biggest fear is the amount of work involved and whether or not I'd be up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

You can work till your 70 so youve still 20 odd years after graduation.

Also 80 miles isnt actually that far. 60 miles an hour on a main road is an 1:20
    40 mins each way really isnt that bad. Ive commuted a lot longer myself. Throw on the radio and time will fly.

Also about 1/3rd of the college is Mature now it seems.

Also college is easy just once you keep up with it which you will because you wont be going out drinking every few days like the younger crowd.

• Advertisement

Yea, you/re right, I've got two kids in college at the moment though so we're stretched to the limit financially. But I won't rule it out yet. I'd love to hear from somebody who did or is doing nursing at WIT, so I could find out a bit more about the amount of study and written assignments involved, thats my main concern about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

absolutely go for it, depending on the strand of nursing that you go for there are more mature places, intellectual disability has the highest number and general the least.
    the oldest on the course is 46 (that's over all 3 disciplines) so you will be grand.
    the work load is fine as long as you keep on top of it, dont leave assignments/ revision till the last minute.
    also the staff are lovely always up for abit of fun and always there when anyone needs a chat.

im a mature student in my second year and i travel 75 miles round trip every day, try and car share with someone because there is bound to be someone from your area who is on the course. the travelling is hard at the start but you definitely get used to it plus depending on where you get put on placement the drive might not be too long.

hope this helps and make sure you get that application in on time next year :)

Thanks for the advice. A couple of questions if you don't mind? Do you get any say in where you do your placement? Also whats the time table like, is it a full day in college every day?

Thanks for the advice. A couple of questions if you don't mind? Do you get any say in where you do your placement? Also whats the time table like, is it a full day in college every day?

No worries ask away :)

Yeah u kinda do get a choice being in id it's hard as there are so few placements but if u are in general u get 3 choices and they try and accommodate you. Nothing is set in stone and they can and do change them at the last minute. In final year they try to put everyone near their base it again it depends on the number of placements

In regards the timetable it's pretty full on. My first year was 9 till 5 Monday till Thursday but u sometimes get a late start or early finish. Sometimes u might have to come in for a couple of hours on the Friday. attendance is monitored very closely and if u miss many hours they pull u in and ask questions.

By no means is the course easy but it is worth it in so many ways and the people u meet along the way you will never forget

I'm really worried I won't be able for all the study and work, its such a huge change for me, the whole thing terrifies the hell out of me. I see my own kids under huge stress with the workload for their courses and it makes me wonder if I'm mad to even consider it!
    Roughly how many hours in the week do you spend on study and assignments?

• Advertisement

I'm really worried I won't be able for all the study and work, its such a huge change for me, the whole thing terrifies the hell out of me. I see my own kids under huge stress with the workload for their courses and it makes me wonder if I'm mad to even consider it!
    Roughly how many hours in the week do you spend on study and assignments?

Kinda depends...a lot of my colleagues do an hour a night and then step that up the closer it comes to exam/assignment time. I know it seems scary but the reward of being a qualified nurse will more than make up for it besides it will be the fastest 4 years of your life sure today was my last day of second year have to hand in a few assignments in May but that's it until september

Thanks oc, and best of luck with your nursing career in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

Hey Pink snow
    I'm 44 and have just successfully completed my first year as a mature student. It has been amazing, difficult, frustrating but one of the MOST worthwhile things I gave ever embarked on. I'm a social science student which was my first choice and I live the course. It's new to WIT and that had meant teething problems with timetables etc but I LOVE COLLEGE! I have a 60 mile commute daily in a 18 year old car who faithfully gets me there by 8:30 every day so I can get parked. Do it feel the fear and do it anyway, you won't regret it!!!!

Advertisement