Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water hammer?

Options
  • 05-07-2013 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭

ok lads . I need advice.

on a job today. cold supply feeding wc in en suite, bathroom and downstairs taken from the mains. Fierce vibration in pipe when flushed causing vvvvvooooooommmmmmm nioise. trottled pressure down, high pressure orovise, clipped pipe at wc. still vvoooommmmmm noise.

they are close couple bottom entry cisterns.

quick fix solution , needed. heeeeeeeeeeeelp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭gifted

Is there water hammer when you turn on/off the WHB?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

gifted wrote: »
    Is there water hammer when you turn on/off the WHB?
    no. its just the downstairs and en suite. it looks like a retro fit . piped ass ways. but defo mains feeding the cisterns. pressure at basins needs to be trottled down, but no vvvvooooommmm noise. However im nearly sure colds for everything else is feed from a pump.

theres a tank in attic with pump feeds all colds . but not toilits or combi boiler. there feed from the public main.

sorry gifted.

tank in attic has one of those electic suction and pump (pumps) fitted to the top of attic tank.

If you pull up the ballcock with your hand fast does it hammer?

If you pull up the ballcock with your hand fast does it hammer?

attic tank ballcock = i didnt try that , i was going to make an air gap at the ballcock.

but tank appears to be fine. id have heard the water hammer or vvvoooommm noise. mains piped in qualpex to tank.

wc ballcock = only vvooomms on filling . pull ballcock fast. not really.

• Advertisement

i didnt try that , i was going to make an air gap at the ballcock.

but tank appears to be fine. id have heard the water hammer or vvvoooommm noise. mains piped in qualpex to tank.

Is the ballcock in the tank a brass ballcock and is the ballcock in the cistern a brass or plastic ballcock?

Is the ballcock in the tank a brass ballcock and is the ballcock in the cistern a brass or plastic ballcock?

didnt look inside attic tank. assume its brass.

plastic to cisterns from bottom entry.

can I get an Equilibrium ballcock bottom entry or the likes for them?

Brass ballcock in the main tank would be capable of handling mains pressure, i reckon the ballcock in the cisterns might not be capable of handling the mains pressure, have you tried fitting a penny service valve and trottling it down as a quick fix, I know pressure would be the same but would restrict the flow of water to the ballcock

can I get an Equilibrium ballcock bottom entry or the likes for them?

I'm pretty sure you can

• Advertisement

Brass ballcock in the main tank would be capable of handling mains pressure, i reckon the ballcock in the cisterns might not be capable of handling the mains pressure, have you tried fitting a penny service valve and trottling it down as a quick fix

well i trottled the mains supply , right down, to give it less pressure and still vvvooommmm.

I'm pretty sure you can

do you think that will do it and where would i get them. need two. to fit inside cistern and bottom entry. pus button effect.

OR WHAT CISTERNS AND PANS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET .

cork builders, dublin providers, heatmerchants..

cork builders, dublin providers, heatmerchants..

GOOD MAN GIFTED. ILL TRY MONDAY.

I KNOW Equilibrium BALLCOCK MAY SOLVE IT. BUT I DIDNT KNOW THEY COULD BE GOT FOR WC CISTERNS.

IF ANYBODY HAS A QUICK FIX. PLEASE ADVICE.

cut in a half inch tee as low as you can on the mains pipe and fit in a one inch pipe onto it with the one inch pipe looking up ie vertical, this might work as a cushion for the hammer. do not vent the one inch pipe, the pipe must have air in it.

cut in a half inch tee as low as you can on the mains pipe and fit in a one inch pipe onto it with the one inch pipe looking up ie vertical, this might work as a cushion for the hammer. do not vent the one inch pipe, the pipe must have air in it.

i was going to cushing the mains.

but i dont think it will work. think problem is the plastic ballcocks.

When the mains cold enters cistern .the float is vibrating the pipe and causing vvvooommm inside cistern . A build up of pressure behind the valve is the problem.but decreasing pressure does not work. clipped pipe. still vvvoomms.

it must be air and pressure and the ballcock. what you think?

5-45 on a friday evening, kill the water to the ballcock, give um a bucket of water and instructions on how to pour down the toilet and feck off to the pub man, the sun is out :D

5-45 on a friday evening, kill the water to the ballcock, give um a bucket of water and instructions on how to pour down the toilet and feck off to the pub man, the sun is out :D

your on the ball.

they can put up with the noise . fcuk these retro fits. jesus you know the cowboy jobs. i fcukin hate ending up on them.

Called to fix a bath leak and shower leak. bath no middle leg no screws tight on upper legs . soon as you got in went down about 5mm. leaks all around. door put on ass ways. slabs behind destroyed.

900mm shower tray fitted in a 950mm opening. tiles butted to the trim of tray and built out to suit.

why the combi wasnt feed from the pump I dont know. enough its a double whiskey for the 1 st round.

thanks anyway Gifted. your a dinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Had the same at home, pressure and pipe and and and - just on the sweet spot to make it do that grrr

I got a 2 litre Coke bottle, cut a large oval hole in one side of it
    put a small weight in the bottom of the bottle and put it over the ball - working away fine for ~ 2 yrs

gone out the door.

anyone has a quick fix or knows if there is a ballcock to suit. please advice.

thanks again gifted. appreciate your time to respond. i was going off me game. needed someone elses advice and guidance.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    Had the same at home, pressure and pipe and and and - just on the sweet spot to make it do that grrr

I got a 2 litre Coke bottle, cut a large oval hole in one side of it
    put a small weight in the bottom of the bottle and put it over the ball - working away fine for ~ 2 yrs

thanks. if i cant get the equilibian ballcocks. they can do that themselfs.

a barman is looking for me, i have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Tee off with a 1/2" copper pipe rising vertically before the ball cock to about 12" high & blank.
    Problem will be solved. It looks odd but works!

shane0007 wrote: »
    Tee off with a 1/2" copper pipe rising vertically before the ball cock to about 12" high & blank.
    Problem will be solved. It looks odd but works!

good man shane, nearly repeated what i said in post 16

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I never get hammer using the fluid master filling valve.
    Another thing to try... whenever you have to scrap a stuart turner negative head pump save the pressure vessel.
    They screw straight into a 1/2" 330 and have solved water hammer problems for me a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

I had a problem in the downstairs toilet. When flushed it sounded like an jet engine running . If I turned the cold water tap on, it stopped.

I opened the ballcock valve in the toilet cistern, cleaned it up and replaced it. Never had the problem since.

No idea what caused it or what fixed it. It just worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

Fluidmaster or torbeck for the toilet using the restricter for the mains pressure. And use an equilibrium ballvalve in the domestic tank. Can stick a 1/2" leg up aswell at the tank if you want but no real need with the equilibrium. Should sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

good man shane, nearly repeated what i said in post 16

Sorry didn't read yours, but great minds....

Advertisement