Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

description and dimensions of “throat”, see BS 8303: Part 1:1994

Options
  • 03-07-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello There,
    I am trying to work out what size of a vent I need to install in a room where I am considering putting in an open fire in an extension I am building.
    I have checked TGD J of the Building Regulations and it states that "A ventilation opening (or openings) with a total free area of at least 50% of the appliance throat opening area (of which at least 6500 mm2 is permanent ventilation) shall be provided.
    I was considering installing a normal fireplace with a fireback and flue gatherer over it. I estimate that the throat in this scenario might be approx 150mm x 300mm (area 45,000mm2) so applying the logic in the building regulations I would need a vent of 22,500mm2 this would equate to 3 rytons brick vents????? surely this is not correct - I never see 3 vents installed in any room......
    That is why I am looking for the definition of "throat" as per BS8303, I know I could just go and buy the document, but it is £120 sterling or something like that....
    If the throat ends up being the flue dimension then it will have a big impact on the size of the vent required in the room.

Any opinions / guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

tusmaith wrote: »
    Hello There,
    I am trying to work out what size of a vent I need to install in a room where I am considering putting in an open fire in an extension I am building.
    I have checked TGD J of the Building Regulations and it states that "A ventilation opening (or openings) with a total free area of at least 50% of the appliance throat opening area (of which at least 6500 mm2 is permanent ventilation) shall be provided.
    I was considering installing a normal fireplace with a fireback and flue gatherer over it. I estimate that the throat in this scenario might be approx 150mm x 300mm (area 45,000mm2) so applying the logic in the building regulations I would need a vent of 22,500mm2 this would equate to 3 rytons brick vents????? surely this is not correct - I never see 3 vents installed in any room......
    That is why I am looking for the definition of "throat" as per BS8303, I know I could just go and buy the document, but it is £120 sterling or something like that....
    If the throat ends up being the flue dimension then it will have a big impact on the size of the vent required in the room.

Any opinions / guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Someone will probly correct me but a vent size of 150mm should be adequate for the fire.Is there any other vent currently fitted in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Someone will probly correct me but a vent size of 150mm should be adequate for the fire.Is there any other vent currently fitted in the room.

There is some info here that might help
    http://www.soliftec.com/airsupply.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tusmaith

Hi Robbie,
    Thanks for your replies!
    That is a brilliant website!!!!
    I think that getting the definition of "throat" in the BS is key to getting the actual requirement.
    I note that the website states that Open Fires have a different, often very large, air requirement."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jiggerypokery

Your definition of the throat area is correct - 3 quarters of the width of the fireplace multiplied by the depth. But as you say when have you seen 3 vents in a room.

Advertisement