Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo Wings where to go in Dublin?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

ok so I Have a major obsession with buffalo wings lately...
    sad but true..
    could eat them all day...mmmmmmmmm

I eat extremely healthy during the week so I like to treat myself to some finest wings at the weekend :P
    anyways looking for a few good places to try them...
    Eddie rocket ones are sweet...
    have tried Captin Americas, TGi Friday's

and recently drove out to rathmines to a place called Buffalo 19 - wings we're absolutely delish :)

Gonna try the Elephant and Castle this weekend, heard the wings in there are to die for....

Anyone else recamend anywhere in the dublin area????.. willing to dive :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

elephant and castle is very hit and miss recently and although they were the first place (or at least the first popular dublin place) to serve proper buffalo style wings they are far from the best place to get them.

i used to go to the schoolhouse on northumberland road by the canal and they were always pretty good there, but it's been years since i was actually there to try them.

the place that used to be the thirsty bull in tyrellstown also does them, but the last time i had them there they weren't great. also tribeca, the porterhouse or luigi malones do them as well. can't think of anywhere else off the top of my head.

the good news is that they're p1ss easy to make at home, so you don't have to go out to enjoy them. ;)

go to any tesco's or other big supermarket and look for "Franks Red Hot" sauce and cook a good glug of it up with some melted butter in a pan and toss in some cooked chicken wings and you're done. that's it, no secret recipe (at least not any more), it's as simple as that.

the real art is in how you cook the wings, with many options available to you and there is already a thread about them here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1431351

it's not the longest (afaik aside from the restaurant reviews one) thread in the food and drinks forum for nothing. ;)

oh, and it doesn't actually get interesting until page 5 when someone posts the actual recipe, so feel free to skip past that to save time.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Nothing beats Tribeca in Ranelagh for wings. Used to like E&C but went off them.

Twenty10 wrote: »
    Nothing beats Tribeca in Ranelagh for wings. Used to like E&C but went off them.
    not quite true, i beat them. ;)

Do u take reservations?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Canal Bank Cafe on Leeson St are excellent too.

• Advertisement

The Cansl Bank is a sister restaurant of Tribeca. Supposedly same wings but I still prefer Tribeca. :confused: no idea why but I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone else an opinion on Buffalo 19 in rathmines. Will be over that direction Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

TriBeCa.
    All other food is great there too.
    E&C over rated and over priced IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knowit12

vibe666 wrote: »
    elephant and castle is very hit and miss recently and although they were the first place (or at least the first popular dublin place) to serve proper buffalo style wings they are far from the best place to get them.

i used to go to the schoolhouse on northumberland road by the canal and they were always pretty good there, but it's been years since i was actually there to try them.

the place that used to be the thirsty bull in tyrellstown also does them, but the last time i had them there they weren't great. also tribeca, the porterhouse or luigi malones do them as well. can't think of anywhere else off the top of my head.

the good news is that they're p1ss easy to make at home, so you don't have to go out to enjoy them. ;)

go to any tesco's or other big supermarket and look for "Franks Red Hot" sauce and cook a good glug of it up with some melted butter in a pan and toss in some cooked chicken wings and you're done. that's it, no secret recipe (at least not any more), it's as simple as that.

the real art is in how you cook the wings, with many options available to you and there is already a thread about them here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1431351

it's not the longest (afaik aside from the restaurant reviews one) thread in the food and drinks forum for nothing. ;)

oh, and it doesn't actually get interesting until page 5 when someone posts the actual recipe, so feel free to skip past that to save time.

Thanks - I'm going to give Elephant& castle a shot tomorrow, I'll let yous know my verdict :P gonna try a the other places next week. I've heard
    alot of good reviews about the places mentioned above.
    Don't want to over do it incase I get sick of them...

Tried making my own before and it was a complete fail - gonna try some recpies and hopefully achieve in making some tasty wings :) Thanks

Thanks Guys :)

here's the quickest rundown i can give which should give you great results every time.
    • buy wings (usually in 2.99 packs in supermarkets)
    • refrigerate them
    • *cut wings at joints and discard the pointy tip (or save for stock)
    • toss the wings in a mixture of 3/4 plain flour and 1/4 cornflour with a teaspoon of smoked paprika and or a teaspoon of ground white or black (or half and half) pepper. (about half a cup of the mixture per pack of wings)
    • return to the fridge for at least 30 minutes
    • deep fry for 10-15 minutes on high until golden brown
    • melt equal parts of butter and franks 'original' hot sauce (not the buffalo wing sauce if you can avoid it, it's just hot sauce + artificial butter and it's gick). (use about half a cup of each per pack of wings)
    • if you like them vinegary, just toss in the cooked wings once the butter is melted, or alternatively, simmer off some of the vinegar for 5-10 minutes before tossing in the wings.
    • i find it makes tossing the wings easier if you use a wok for melting the butter and franks, it's just easier to toss them around than in a frying pan or whatever.
    • enjoy with the dip of your choice. :)

*simplest example of hot to cut the wings is imagine you are about to have an arm wrestle and your arm is a chicken wing. you have the bicep bit and the bit between your elbow and your wrist. cut down through the elbow joint vertically and then cut off the wrist part and discard the hand. of course now you're never going to look at a wing the same again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭jleavy046

elephant and castle

Don't you mean the Bull and castle at Christchurch?

Joe

jleavy046 wrote: »

Joe
    nope, i mean the elephant and castle in temple bar, the place that is famous for being the first to bring buffalo wings to ireland, even though they're not actually particularly good at doing them these days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maulikdesai1

why not try the Harbourmaster near IFSC.. heard that the wings are excellent there (as a vegetarian never tried them myself, but everyone at my workplace has a good opinion abt it)

here's the quickest rundown i can give which should give you great results every time.
    • buy wings (usually in 2.99 packs in supermarkets)
    • refrigerate them
    • *cut wings at joints and discard the pointy tip (or save for stock)
    • toss the wings in a mixture of 3/4 plain flour and 1/4 cornflour with a teaspoon of smoked paprika and or a teaspoon of ground white or black (or half and half) pepper. (about half a cup of the mixture per pack of wings)
    • return to the fridge for at least 30 minutes
    • deep fry for 10-15 minutes on high until golden brown
    • melt equal parts of butter and franks 'original' hot sauce (not the buffalo wing sauce if you can avoid it, it's just hot sauce + artificial butter and it's gick). (use about half a cup of each per pack of wings)
    • if you like them vinegary, just toss in the cooked wings once the butter is melted, or alternatively, simmer off some of the vinegar for 5-10 minutes before tossing in the wings.
    • i find it makes tossing the wings easier if you use a wok for melting the butter and franks, it's just easier to toss them around than in a frying pan or whatever.
    • enjoy with the dip of your choice. :)
    *simplest example of hot to cut the wings is imagine you are about to have an arm wrestle and your arm is a chicken wing. you have the bicep bit and the bit between your elbow and your wrist. cut down through the elbow joint vertically and then cut off the wrist part and discard the hand. of course now you're never going to look at a wing the same again. :D

will give this a shot

why not try the Harbourmaster near IFSC.. heard that the wings are excellent there (as a vegetarian never tried them myself, but everyone at my workplace has a good opinion abt it)

the wings in the Harbour Master Pub are not nice at all..
    Heard so much people going on about how great they are, and as buffalo wing lover I can safely say they are horrible..

Very dry and tasteless and the only sauce they had to serve with them was garlic mayo - Boring...

Real buffalo wings are served with blue cheese dip :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

jleavy046 wrote: »

Joe

Don't you mean FX Buckley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

knowit12 wrote: »
    Gonna try the Elephant and Castle this weekend, heard the wings in there are to die for....
    elephant and castle is very hit and miss recently

Have to concur. Last time I had their wings - which I used to really enjoy - they were downright nasty, with the sauce absolutely poisoned with vinegar.

D wrote: »
    Don't you mean FX Buckley?
    he (or she) does, but it is actually called the bull and castle. :)

http://www.fxbrestaurants.com/bullcastle/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just buy a bottle of Frank's Red Hot Sauce (available in most supermarkers now) and do your own.

and by your own I mean with no one else in the house so you can suck as much off the bones as you like and not care what others think of you. If the missus brings our lil'one out and I've do a dinner jsut for myself I make a pig of myself. Wallow in it for about half an hour. Then shower and brush teeth and begin normality again

anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭jleavy046

he (or she) does, but it is actually called the bull and castle. :)

http://www.fxbrestaurants.com/bullcastle/

HE !

And...errr... yes...

Regards,
    MR Joe :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Dodge wrote: »
    Just buy a bottle of Frank's Red Hot Sauce (available in most supermarkers now) and do your own.

and by your own I mean with no one else in the house so you can suck as much off the bones as you like and not care what others think of you. If the missus brings our lil'one out and I've do a dinner jsut for myself I make a pig of myself. Wallow in it for about half an hour. Then shower and brush teeth and begin normality again

anyway....

Ha ha ha, too funny: I do this too when himself is away. Pop on a bib and guilty pleasure away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gourmet burger - Ranelegh

Dodge wrote: »

anyway....
    you should do what i do and instead of making it with wings, cut the bone out of a chicken thigh (the oyster thigh part you get in similar packs to wings in supermarkets) and cit it into 3 strips and then treat as in my wing recipe.

all the same juicy meat (and more of it) and crispy skin, just without the bones to get in the way and slow you down. :D

taking the thigh bones out doesn't take much longer (maybe 10%) than cutting up wings either. :)

Actually the wings at the Harbourmaster are pretty good, the dips with them not so good however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Rustic Stone do lovely Wings and Mitchelin star as well. nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Eddie Rockets - GREAT buffalo wings !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I'm definitely an advocate for making your own, I'm famous for them among friends but trust me; go to JD's Steakhouse in Terenure. About 18 quid for 2 courses and the wings are amazing. They BBQ the wings really slowly before dressing them in the buffalo sauce. The meat is smokey, juicy and falls off the bone and the sauce has just the right amount of vinegary spice. Starvo now.

-Funk

Piliger wrote: »

Agreed

funk-you wrote: »
    I'm definitely an advocate for making your own, I'm famous for them among friends but trust me; go to JD's Steakhouse in Terenure. About 18 quid for 2 courses and the wings are amazing. They BBQ the wings really slowly before dressing them in the buffalo sauce. The meat is smokey, juicy and falls off the bone and the sauce has just the right amount of vinegary spice. Starvo now.

-Funk

Yeah will give there a go to.

Tried Luaigi Malones the weekend - wings where delish :) 8/10 , only downfall was the sauce was very lumpy.
    Great service.

Anyone near the swords area try the cock tavern pub - wings are mouth watering ! 10/10 nicest iv tasted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Piliger wrote: »

Its not buffalo sauce, or even cose to it. Fine if you like it, not trying to say who's taste is better, but its not buffalo sauce

Advertisement